Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    When I coached, I never asked a team to win. I only asked them to give their best effort every day we trained and every game we played. I asked them to be proud of the effort the put in and of course I gave them to tools to become better players. Our success was generally determined by our talent but the kids improved and enjoyed playing.
    Ramblings of a Loser!

Comment

Ramblings of a Loser!

Never said they didnt win. Just didnt have to ask them to win because I trained them well enough that if they gave an effort, winning happened. Idiot.

Comment

Never said they didnt win. Just didnt have to ask them to win because I trained them well enough that if they gave an effort, winning happened. Idiot.
        Your post prior to this one was a decent, well written reply, thank you. Isn't it amazing that the best the responder can come up with was calling you a "loser". He must be a brilliant man behind his keyboard.

Comment

Resorting to name calling?

Couple things, I have played and coached at a very high level so I have a pretty good idea of what competitive sports are.

Also, I dont really know much about the Cogi program. From what I have seen there is emphasis on controlling the ball which is the single most important.

When I coached, I never asked a team to win. I only asked them to give their best effort every day we trained and every game we played. I asked them to be proud of the effort the put in and of course I gave them to tools to become better players. Our success was generally determined by our talent but the kids improved and enjoyed playing.
          Wow...You went from someone who doesn't know much about the cogi program to a soccer coach that knows a lot about player psychology that made a difference in making better players. Very inconsistent n your statements!

Comment

Wow...You went from someone who doesn't know much about the cogi program to a soccer coach that knows a lot about player psychology that made a difference in making better players. Very inconsistent n your statements!

Never said I coached soccer. I coached and played a different sport. And I'm not trying to win an internet argument so think what you want. I actually dont like that I got sucked into the discussion and apologize for taking the approach I took, especially adding to the name calling.

I just tend to get wound up by the same issue every time I come here. That issue is that WE collectively have turned youth sports into something it shouldn't be. Yes, youth sports should help promote confidence in kids but that doesnt mean they are going to be successful at every sport they try. And I think they should try several. But we have turned the whole thing into a money making venture and the results are we have convinced people that you have to play "travel", have a private coach, play in specific tournaments, attend ID camps, etc. or you wont get the college scholarship. Of course by the time it is over we spent more on youth sports than we will on soccer but that is another discussion.

The most problematic issue is that we have convinced everyone that winning games is the most important goal. Winning is very important but as I said earlier, sometimes we dont have a lot of control over that because we may have just got on a bad team. But playing to win is still important. What is more important is that we place the higher value on development. Success should mean achieving something we have worked hard for. Especially at the younger ages. Consider the best professional players in the world. Do you think it matters how many games they won when they were 10? No, of course not. What matters is that they got good instruction, were challenged and loved the game.

So if your kid happened to get on a bad team, so what. It is the hand you were dealt this time around. Talk to him about what areas he is improving in his game. Encourage him for the positive things he is doing and talk about the things that can be improved. That is sport. If the parents are all bent out of shape because they arent winning, how do you think the kids will feel?

As far as Cogi is concerned, I dont know if it is a great thing or not. What I do know is that it is an approach and I think having an approach is a good thing. From what little I have seen it looks like it is heavy on the ball control which is the one thing that gets overlooked most often. But Cogi or any other shift in skill training may not show results in wins immediately and that really cant be the measure of its value. Especially initially. It is new to players and coaches so I would say it will take a while before it becomes clear if it is beneficial or not. I can't see it being negative either way. More touches on the ball seems to be a good thing all of the time.

If you played sports, what value did you take from it? Was it the bonds you made with your team and the fun you had playing? Was it the work ethic it instilled? Was it the time you spent with your family? Or was it the number of youth games you won? Keep some perspective. Let our kids enjoy being kids and playing sports. It's just soccer.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1400006]

Consider the best professional players in the world. Do you think it matters how many games they won when they were 10? No, of course not. What matters is that they got good instruction, were challenged and loved the game.

So if your kid happened to get on a bad team, so what. It is the hand you were dealt this time around. Talk to him about what areas he is improving in his game. Encourage him for the positive things he is doing and talk about the things that can be improved. That is sport. If the parents are all bent out of shape because they arent winning, how do you think the kids will feel?

Like you said, let's consider the best professional players in the world. Do you truly think those guys would have made it where they are now if they had not won games or had not played to win games when they were younger? Most probably not.

You are right that this whole thing is turned into a money making venture. Cogi itself is deployed as a money making 'scam'. Fees have been increased while no improvement is seen. Some teams implementing cogi training at Wellington are doing worse this season than they did last year at this point in time. Reality is that when parents are asked to pay more money for registration fees, they expect good results. It hasn't been the case with a number of teams at Wellington. Also, this cogi is marketed to accelerate (emphasis on accelerate) learning and development on the field and in schools. It has not been the case. Last year, they had much better and qualified coaches that have made a difference in both their players' development and game results. Reality is that good players are leaving the Club and the Club is giving meaningless values to the players on the blue teams. As a result, people leave. Why didn't they attract more players this season? Players in their older age groups are following a training program that is similar to the younger age groups. And this is a big problem, but that's a discussion for another day!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1400268]

Like you said, let's consider the best professional players in the world. Do you truly think those guys would have made it where they are now if they had not won games or had not played to win games when they were younger? Most probably not.

You are right that this whole thing is turned into a money making venture. Cogi itself is deployed as a money making 'scam'. Fees have been increased while no improvement is seen. Some teams implementing cogi training at Wellington are doing worse this season than they did last year at this point in time. Reality is that when parents are asked to pay more money for registration fees, they expect good results. It hasn't been the case with a number of teams at Wellington. Also, this cogi is marketed to accelerate (emphasis on accelerate) learning and development on the field and in schools. It has not been the case. Last year, they had much better and qualified coaches that have made a difference in both their players' development and game results. Reality is that good players are leaving the Club and the Club is giving meaningless values to the players on the blue teams. As a result, people leave. Why didn't they attract more players this season? Players in their older age groups are following a training program that is similar to the younger age groups. And this is a big problem, but that's a discussion for another day!
                West Ham United North American Academy is holding an ID Camp from October 24-26 in Boca Raton at 10333 Diego Drive South. Boys ages 11-16 are invited to register to attend the high-level sessions overseen by professional coaches trained in the UK and will consist of the same coaching methods and drills used in instructing the youth teams of the West Ham United Academy in London.

Players excelling at this camp will be invited to the 2014 West Ham United North American Academy National Residential Camp in the summer, staffed by the Academy coaches and directed by the Academy Director. A select group of players at the National Camp will then be invited to London to participate in West Ham United’s Elite Player Experience.

Registration must be completed online at www.westhamacademyinternational.com

Comment

Cogi=charge more

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1400268]

Reality is that when parents are asked to pay more money for registration fees, they expect good results.

If you cant get past these two statements you will never get it. If you are honestly looking for results in youth sports you are missing the point. And yes, the best players in the world would be where they are regardless of how many games their U10 team won. Although I'd be willing to bet at U10 they weren't playing travel soccer and worrying about whether they got into Disney or not.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1400524]

West Ham United North American Academy is holding an ID Camp from October 24-26 in Boca Raton at 10333 Diego Drive South. Boys ages 11-16 are invited to register to attend the high-level sessions overseen by professional coaches trained in the UK and will consist of the same coaching methods and drills used in instructing the youth teams of the West Ham United Academy in London.

Players excelling at this camp will be invited to the 2014 West Ham United North American Academy National Residential Camp in the summer, staffed by the Academy coaches and directed by the Academy Director. A select group of players at the National Camp will then be invited to London to participate in West Ham United’s Elite Player Experience.

Registration must be completed online at www.westhamacademyinternational.com
                      What are they trying to "ID"? Parents with fat wallets and little soccer knowledge? Well, then identifying parents sold on Cogi is like shooting fish in a barrel. Bravo West Ham marketers. If your youth coaches are anywhere near as effective as your marketing team, should be one heck of an ID camp.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1401128]

What are they trying to "ID"? Parents with fat wallets and little soccer knowledge? Well, then identifying parents sold on Cogi is like shooting fish in a barrel. Bravo West Ham marketers. If your youth coaches are anywhere near as effective as your marketing team, should be one heck of an ID camp.
                        West Ham are bringing professional coaches from their home academy in London. Last time we checked, your cogi trainers were looking for jobs in Belgium. They have to thank your Belge DOC. And last time we checked, several good players and their parents left your Club, and may be more to leave!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1401083]

If you cant get past these two statements you will never get it. If you are honestly looking for results in youth sports you are missing the point. And yes, the best players in the world would be where they are regardless of how many games their U10 team won. Although I'd be willing to bet at U10 they weren't playing travel soccer and worrying about whether they got into Disney or not.
                          You sound like a nice guy or gal, but you need to educate yourself more on soccer culture and its intricacies; Your naivety might lead you to being behind the 8 ball. Our kids in the US will get better when no one pays to play. There are many facts related to Club or Travel soccer, but one fact that is indisputable is that Wellington charges its members a lot of money. For what?

For cogi training? Any qualified coach can provide this type of training or better. Wellington has exaggerated and turned this into a hype for more money.
                          For fields? A number of Clubs have more pristine fields but charge less.
                          For coaches? Look at other Clubs and compare coaches' credentials and coaching experience.
                          For leadership? This is a ship without a captain at Wellington. Unresponsive to concerns of all its members.
                          For Player Development? Wellington is way behind in this area; how many Wellington teams are ranked in top 10 in Florida and compare to other area Clubs. A lot of their teams have dropped in state rankings this season.
                          For Collegiate players with recruiting help? once again, a number of other area Clubs are way ahead and more dedicated to serving the players achieve their goals.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1401492]

You sound like a nice guy or gal, but you need to educate yourself more on soccer culture and its intricacies; Your naivety might lead you to being behind the 8 ball. Our kids in the US will get better when no one pays to play. There are many facts related to Club or Travel soccer, but one fact that is indisputable is that Wellington charges its members a lot of money. For what?

For cogi training? Any qualified coach can provide this type of training or better. Wellington has exaggerated and turned this into a hype for more money.
                            For fields? A number of Clubs have more pristine fields but charge less.
                            For coaches? Look at other Clubs and compare coaches' credentials and coaching experience.
                            For leadership? This is a ship without a captain at Wellington. Unresponsive to concerns of all its members.
                            For Player Development? Wellington is way behind in this area; how many Wellington teams are ranked in top 10 in Florida and compare to other area Clubs. A lot of their teams have dropped in state rankings this season.
                            For Collegiate players with recruiting help? once again, a number of other area Clubs are way ahead and more dedicated to serving the players achieve their goals.

I dont think you understand what I am posting. I completely agree that the way we do youth soccer is the biggest part of the problem.

As for Wellington, they are no better or worse than any of the others regardless of what you hear. I've been involved in a few different ones and it's all pretty much the same. I know there was an increase this year and I dont know what other clubs did this year but for years it was all pretty much the same across the board and I assume it still is. I know Wellington included more in the fee so it looked like more initially but the other clubs just broke it down so it looked like less. It all ended up being the same.

I dont know who their coaches are or what thier credentials are but I would bet that it is comparable to other clubs of its size. We have been involved in club soccer for a number of years and I have yet to see a single club getting it right. The very good coaches are limited in number so it really depends on what team you are on, not so much what club you are with. All of the points you listed above apply to every club I know anything about. It's all a racket.

As for Cogi, I think it is at least some sense of curriculum. It's better than just letting coaches just do their own thing. As a participant family, take from it what is good and dont sweat the rest. If you are unhappy, leave. Be warned that the grass may not be greener elswhere. Or it might. You may find a team that wins all of their games.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1401524]

I dont think you understand what I am posting. I completely agree that the way we do youth soccer is the biggest part of the problem.

As for Wellington, they are no better or worse than any of the others regardless of what you hear. I've been involved in a few different ones and it's all pretty much the same. I know there was an increase this year and I dont know what other clubs did this year but for years it was all pretty much the same across the board and I assume it still is. I know Wellington included more in the fee so it looked like more initially but the other clubs just broke it down so it looked like less. It all ended up being the same.

As for Cogi, I think it is at least some sense of curriculum. It's better than just letting coaches just do their own thing. As a participant family, take from it what is good and dont sweat the rest. If you are unhappy, leave. Be warned that the grass may not be greener elswhere. Or it might. You may find a team that wins all of their games.
                              People make choices and you made yours. The jury is still out!

Comment

You should look at leadership, not cogi.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X