Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It is a new coach. Who knows strategy. I would ask about PT. It makes them give you insight into where they see your role. But the player needs to be realistic too.
    If there are other schools in the mix, you can assess accordingly.
    But beware, coaches lie. New coach, no baseline to be able to tell.
    If a coach is a new HC with no previous history, you still dont ask about PT! What is he going to say to a recruit .... I play everyone equally, including the fat, lazy kids out partying all week? Have your kid go into it with the attitude that they are going to beg, borrow, and steal PT at every practice by working hard, taking reasonable risks, and doing nice things on the soccer field (winning every 50/50 ball they can, working hard to make a stop, making great runs, making better passes, and shooting or setting up as many opportunities as they possibly can). This should be no mystery. Produce on the field at practice every day and do what you can to embarrass everyone. Great effort and results must be rewarded and no one should come in with the expectation that they will see the field at all unless they earn it from the first day they get involved and every day after.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'll tell her not to ask about playing time. With a new coach there are too many unknowns. One other question I have is, would it be appropriate to ask how many 2021s they are bringing in? I'm assuming some current players may transfer out.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'll tell her not to ask about playing time. With a new coach there are too many unknowns. One other question I have is, would it be appropriate to ask how many 2021s they are bringing in? I'm assuming some current players may transfer out.
        Of course you put in the work to become better but i would ask if this new coach is open to playing freshmen, the best players or sticks with older or local players (to appease pipeline kids and club coaches). Some do this. Imho, If so you want no part of it.

You can find out their playing strategy without getting pt specific.

Comment

Others they gave offers too earlier could also back out because of the coaching change. There is a transfer portal which would give you insight to transfers. Most programs will bring in 5-7 or so each season, but a new coach might bring in more.

I know you said it's all she has going right now, but just make sure it really is the best school for her. That's all that matters in the long run. If she can't see herself there without soccer, keep looking.

Comment

Others they gave offers too earlier could also back out because of the coaching change. There is a transfer portal which would give you insight to transfers. Most programs will bring in 5-7 or so each season, but a new coach might bring in more.

I know you said it's all she has going right now, but just make sure it really is the best school for her. That's all that matters in the long run. If she can't see herself there without soccer, keep looking.
            This cannot be stated enough! Pretend she’ll never get to play soccer - would that still be the school she’d pick!

Comment

Regard the entire recruiting process like it’s a professional job search. The OV is your face-to-face job interview. The coach has looked at your “resume” (video, showcases, etc.) and likes what they see, but wants to get to know you better. The person who doesn’t get the job is the one who gives them a reason to cross them off the list. Would you go into a job interview and ask how many other people are being interviewed for the job? It makes you sound insecure, like maybe you shouldn’t be there. What does it matter if there are 5 kids coming in or 30? You just want an offer and let the rest sort itself out.

Comment

Regard the entire recruiting process like it’s a professional job search. The OV is your face-to-face job interview. The coach has looked at your “resume” (video, showcases, etc.) and likes what they see, but wants to get to know you better. The person who doesn’t get the job is the one who gives them a reason to cross them off the list. Would you go into a job interview and ask how many other people are being interviewed for the job? It makes you sound insecure, like maybe you shouldn’t be there. What does it matter if there are 5 kids coming in or 30? You just want an offer and let the rest sort itself out.
                Some kids want to know if the coach sees them as getting much playing time. Some players want to go to a school where they know they’ll play and won’t just sit the bench for 4 years.

Comment

Some kids want to know if the coach sees them as getting much playing time. Some players want to go to a school where they know they’ll play and won’t just sit the bench for 4 years.
                  And some kids won’t get an offer because they sound like unconfident prima donnas. Think from the coach’s perspective, they have multiple kids they are looking at who might all get the job done. They bring a kid in hoping they project all the qualities they are looking for: hard worker, does what is asked, confident, gets along with teammates, can be a leader, etc. Then the kid comes in for their visit and asks how many others are getting recruited, what playing time will I get, how long until I’m team captain, etc? And then the coach says to himself, this kid doesn’t have any of the qualities we need. No offer and on to the next.

Comment

And some kids won’t get an offer because they sound like unconfident prima donnas. Think from the coach’s perspective, they have multiple kids they are looking at who might all get the job done. They bring a kid in hoping they project all the qualities they are looking for: hard worker, does what is asked, confident, gets along with teammates, can be a leader, etc. Then the kid comes in for their visit and asks how many others are getting recruited, what playing time will I get, how long until I’m team captain, etc? And then the coach says to himself, this kid doesn’t have any of the qualities we need. No offer and on to the next.
                    And some kids with multiple offers want to know playing time possibilities. Otherwise, hard pass. More than one team out there and some coaches are legends in their own minds not much else.

Comment

This in a nutshell... college coaches are the greatest salesman on the face of earth.They will tell you anything you want to hear , make things out to be great and then suck you in. Most of the time they will try to switch your position, praise the kids that are lazy and shouldnt be there, but because mommy and daddy talk to coach all the time they are.Go div 1 or 11, you will have a better college experience in the long run.

Comment

And you know this because you’ve spoken to every college coach in the USA ,busy guy.Went low D3 I’m guessing.

Comment

I agree. Personality and thus the interview/talk to coach is very very important. Sure the really high level NT recruits go to a top 5 program and expect to be impact players straight away, etc etc but for the vast majority of mid to high level D1 recruits there is competition for the spots and coaches want to make certain that they choose wisely and attitude and personality and coachability is of the utmost importance and rightfully so.

Comment

And some kids with multiple offers want to know playing time possibilities. Otherwise, hard pass. More than one team out there and some coaches are legends in their own minds not much else.
                            I don't agree with this at all. The player and family should know what schools to target and if the player will fit and also know their potential. Playing time and if they play as a freshman, etc is up to the player's work ethic and skill. How can the coach promise anything? And so if you are looking for a promise then I agree you are a primadonna and the player is a legend in their own mind.

Comment

Then you need to do your own research on who gets recruited to each program and who PLAYS. Scour the stats available for every team. Watch game footage or go see games. Be 100% honest with yourself - do you really think you can hang at that level? The importance of fit cannot be stressed enough. If you're even the least bit hesitant then taking the spot would only be recommended if the school is a perfect fit.

Also don't rely on what a coach tells you regarding PT. First, they are human and can't always accurately judge talent. Some players will disappoint them, others will exceed expectations. Second, not all will be truthful. Third, once you're there it's up to you to prove yourself. Some players can't handle the reality of being low man in the totem pole and having to claw tour way up. Many have always been top players and haven't faced the same level of competition for PT like in college.

Comment

Go back to post #13 and see the OP is asking for his 2021 daughter who has not gotten a lot of interest, but is going on her first official visit. Would you to tell them to ask the coach whether she is guaranteed playing time? Maybe the coach will put it in writing for them? You are delusional if you think most D1 recruits are getting “multiple offers” and can march into a coach’s office and demand to know how much playing time they’ll get over 4 years. The OP’s experience is closer to the norm and if they want a spot, then the visit is a chance to show you are a good fit; not an idiot who wants a guarantee they won’t ride the bench.

Saw another poster mentioned that coaches can’t be trusted, and while there are certainly some out there like that just like any other job, the majority are good people. What if they turned a question like “will I get playing time?” back around to a 17 year old recruit? The coach would ask “will you be injury free all 4 years?”; “will you score 5 goals and 4 assists consistently every season like I’m hoping you can?”; “will you keep your grades up to maintain eligibility?”; “will you not be up studying or drinking all night so you’ll make all of our 7am practices all 4 years?” And what if the recruit answered those questions with a big yes and then failed to perform? Is that kid a liar or a bad car salesman? Honesty is a 2 way street. Ask a coach a question they can’t answer or read too much into their reply, and that really says more about you than them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X