Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class of 2021 - Predictions for June 15?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the uncommitted 2021s, where are you in the process? Waiting for pre-reads? OVs? Hoping to find a place via ID Camps? If some programs cancel a fall season, will schools skip unfilled roster spots because of 5th year seniors and go straight to Recruiting 2022s?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      To the uncommitted 2021s, where are you in the process? Waiting for pre-reads? OVs? Hoping to find a place via ID Camps? If some programs cancel a fall season, will schools skip unfilled roster spots because of 5th year seniors and go straight to Recruiting 2022s?
      D1 21's were mostly done before this all went down, and many others had already been seen by coaches and on coach radars. For sure losing the showcase season and now the summer ID season has been a killer for the uncommitted 21s. Many coaches still don't know if they'll be able to hold ID events at all or when. Once campuses open back up they should at least be able to finish up visits.

That said, most times athletes need to apply ED or EA, which means applications are due by around Nov 1. That leaves little time to wrap things up. Will coaches wait for admits and hope they get through the regular process? Perhaps not. I think some programs that have 3-4 recruits wrapped up will not put in much effort to find 2-3 more. Maybe hope to get some fall additions/walk ons, but are most likely moving on to the 22s. Really it's the top 3-4 recruits they wanted most anyway

Comment

D1 21's were mostly done before this all went down, and many others had already been seen by coaches and on coach radars. For sure losing the showcase season and now the summer ID season has been a killer for the uncommitted 21s. Many coaches still don't know if they'll be able to hold ID events at all or when. Once campuses open back up they should at least be able to finish up visits.

That said, most times athletes need to apply ED or EA, which means applications are due by around Nov 1. That leaves little time to wrap things up. Will coaches wait for admits and hope they get through the regular process? Perhaps not. I think some programs that have 3-4 recruits wrapped up will not put in much effort to find 2-3 more. Maybe hope to get some fall additions/walk ons, but are most likely moving on to the 22s. Really it's the top 3-4 recruits they wanted most anyway
        I agree with this. It's super unfortunate. Feels like coaches would be well served to turn their uncommitted '21 spots into "flex" spots given all the uncertainty. In addition to leaving room for 5th year senior or a deferring '20, they could also pick-up a transfer.

Comment

Read somewhere for the spring sports that were cancelled, that NCAA is requiring schools to give preference to 5th year seniors over new recruits. Don’t know how that works or if it’s true. Anybody here that too?

Comment

I think coaches know with the 2021s it has now become a buyers market. Schools are still figuring out their budgets and scholarship allocations are being reduced. I’m guessing remaining spots will be filled with full paying athletes to help overall enrollment numbers or transfer players. Why offer money when there are so many players out there that not only want to play college ball, they’re willing to pay for that privilege. On the other hand, if players are willing to join a team without athletic money, they might have a better chance getting on a team where they really want to go as a student and fits their academic profile.

Comment

I think coaches know with the 2021s it has now become a buyers market. Schools are still figuring out their budgets and scholarship allocations are being reduced. I’m guessing remaining spots will be filled with full paying athletes to help overall enrollment numbers or transfer players. Why offer money when there are so many players out there that not only want to play college ball, they’re willing to pay for that privilege. On the other hand, if players are willing to join a team without athletic money, they might have a better chance getting on a team where they really want to go as a student and fits their academic profile.
              Most likely yes. There wasn't much money left on the table for 21s anyway. It doesn't cost a coach much to take on a few more players if they're not athletic scholarhsip players. Applicants will have to hope for financial aid and merit money

Comment

Read somewhere for the spring sports that were cancelled, that NCAA is requiring schools to give preference to 5th year seniors over new recruits. Don’t know how that works or if it’s true. Anybody here that too?
                Spring sport athletes were granted a 5th season of eligibility, but not necessarily a preference. Every year your job is on the line. I don't think that applies to soccer since it is technically a fall sport, just the sports who had their entire spring season cancelled (lax, track, softball, baseball and a few others.

That said, if you were done with school or close to done, are you going to stick around for another season just to be able to play? I doubt many would especially if they're not looking at a pro career or are paying for any substantial amount of their education (remember, full rides aren't all that common).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X