Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Nice wake up call for soccer clubs! I'm sure they will see many kids deciding to spend their time doing other things. Maybe this will force the clubs to focus on the kids and what makes sense.
    More than you would had ever think! Those insane days filled with school and soccer are over for the time being, some kids are learning the everyday stuff helping mom with house chores or dad fixing and finishing (abandoned) projects around the house, because who had time with Soccer. My kid is staying in shape, running about every day, longer than she ever thought and is enjoying this new passion. She's reading a few books that grandpa got her and had discover the joy of writing. She misses soccer, she's been playing almost all her life but in just a few weeks realized that there is more, much more than learning exclusively academics and how to kick ball. The clubs are going to need an adjustment to deal with this group of kids (an parents) that had open their eyes to see that soccer may not be it. Some will move on.

Comment

I would love to see the soccer landscape change as it is surely broken. However.. I highly doubt that anything will change.
      It will be forced to change, how many parents will have as a priority to pay over $2000 in club fees plus traveling and miscellaneous soccer expenses. How many realized that relying in soccer for a college scholarship may not work after all and under the uncertainty of the circumstances, who's thinking about hiring expensive private training to be pick for the NT camp, or DA or ECNL or whatever, when the next pay check may not come.

Comment

Woah!! "Far flung locales...boat loads of money...travel to the ends of the Earth"....???? Drama much??

Brevard County might be as far as you've ever been, but for most, Greer, SC is not the end of the Earth.
        Boats loads of money is circumstantial, but I hope you agree that now you'll think twice before handing that full payment for the upcoming season, or travel across the country to play, now more than ever your kid's soccer future is uncertain. Priorities have switch, we are living an event that we never thought will happen. I tell you more, some of my colleagues are thinking that being a coach part time is not what it used to be and will be focusing in their careers instead. Some of the younger trainers arevsteering into going back to college leaving behind their soccer coaching sidekick. There's no drama there's a new reality for all including your kid

Comment

Soccer scholarship. Maybe not

I had discuss with parents in the last weeks the soccer scholarships, that will be drastically changing for the rising sophomore but more so the kids entering their junior year. All have come to a halt in that aspect until who knows when. There is parents that are trying to find new ways in the face of the uncertainty we are facing. We pushed so much for those long training hours, traveling to showcases, paying whatever for our kid to train in what we believed was "the better club" around. We allowed them to neglect academics and life learning in general. Now what...

Comment

More than you would had ever think! Those insane days filled with school and soccer are over for the time being, some kids are learning the everyday stuff helping mom with house chores or dad fixing and finishing (abandoned) projects around the house, because who had time with Soccer. My kid is staying in shape, running about every day, longer than she ever thought and is enjoying this new passion. She's reading a few books that grandpa got her and had discover the joy of writing. She misses soccer, she's been playing almost all her life but in just a few weeks realized that there is more, much more than learning exclusively academics and how to kick ball. The clubs are going to need an adjustment to deal with this group of kids (an parents) that had open their eyes to see that soccer may not be it. Some will move on.
            I wouldn't over-react to the current conditions. You make it seem like players and families were in a strange hypnotic trance and when they were forced to snap out of it, everything will be different.

Our daughter had to come home prematurely from her freshmen year attending college and playing soccer on a D1 scholarship. She was on a Zoom call today with 4 other girls from here college team, telling the current High School Seniors what to expect when they report to Training Camp in August, 2020. Now, the whole world could be different 5 months from now but in the mean time a lot of soccer families are driving on based on what they have believed for the past 10-12 years. The sky is not falling but if your kid that used to grind playing soccer all the sudden wants to read books from Grandpa, you should probably follow that. In our house, we made time for high level soccer, eating dinner together, taking care of the lawn, walks together, board games, etc. Life will return to semi-normal and then normal.

Comment

I wouldn't over-react to the current conditions. You make it seem like players and families were in a strange hypnotic trance and when they were forced to snap out of it, everything will be different.

Our daughter had to come home prematurely from her freshmen year attending college and playing soccer on a D1 scholarship. She was on a Zoom call today with 4 other girls from here college team, telling the current High School Seniors what to expect when they report to Training Camp in August, 2020. Now, the whole world could be different 5 months from now but in the mean time a lot of soccer families are driving on based on what they have believed for the past 10-12 years. The sky is not falling but if your kid that used to grind playing soccer all the sudden wants to read books from Grandpa, you should probably follow that. In our house, we made time for high level soccer, eating dinner together, taking care of the lawn, walks together, board games, etc. Life will return to semi-normal and then normal.
              And that's fine, my kid is training as well but getting better rounded as an individual, kicking ball was never it and it will never be. Relying exclusively on soccer for a college scholarship is gambling and you'll be a fool thinking otherwise. Not everyone graduated from college, my wife and I did and if you did as well then agree that takes much more than "high level soccer" to succeed. My kid has been contacted already by a couple of schools and may land a scholarship for soccer, if not what he has for sure is a solid academic background. Best of luck to your talented player

Comment

"We pushed so much for those long training hours, traveling to showcases, paying whatever for our kid to train in what we believed was "the better club" around. We allowed them to neglect academics and life learning in general. Now what..."

If you really did that, it was a big mistake. The families that we are close to stressed keeping the grades and test scores up. Only the lazy kids/families we know focused on sports and not sports + academics.

Comment

"We pushed so much for those long training hours, traveling to showcases, paying whatever for our kid to train in what we believed was "the better club" around. We allowed them to neglect academics and life learning in general. Now what..."

If you really did that, it was a big mistake. The families that we are close to stressed keeping the grades and test scores up. Only the lazy kids/families we know focused on sports and not sports + academics.
                  That’s correct, my point precisely. As parents we can’t rely on soccer (sports) alone to make it to college, that may or may not happen. And given the actual unexpected events the few fanatics that allowed soccer to take over their kids lives are doomed. But that, experts say, only parents with a certain level of education can understand

Comment

I had discuss with parents in the last weeks the soccer scholarships, that will be drastically changing for the rising sophomore but more so the kids entering their junior year. All have come to a halt in that aspect until who knows when. There is parents that are trying to find new ways in the face of the uncertainty we are facing. We pushed so much for those long training hours, traveling to showcases, paying whatever for our kid to train in what we believed was "the better club" around. We allowed them to neglect academics and life learning in general. Now what...
                    Sophomores still have time to pull up their grades and still get recruited, if that's what they still want. Juniors who haven't locked in a spot are the ones really panicked, with good reason. Showcases may not happen and possibly summer ID events, yet they have to apply ED or EA in the fall.

A good player with good grades will have many more options than one with only ok grades. Athletic scholarships aren't as plentiful as people think, but merit money and financial aid is there if you qualify and sticks all 4 years.

Comment

And that's fine, my kid is training as well but getting better rounded as an individual, kicking ball was never it and it will never be. Relying exclusively on soccer for a college scholarship is gambling and you'll be a fool thinking otherwise. Not everyone graduated from college, my wife and I did and if you did as well then agree that takes much more than "high level soccer" to succeed. My kid has been contacted already by a couple of schools and may land a scholarship for soccer, if not what he has for sure is a solid academic background. Best of luck to your talented player
                      "Not everyone graduated from college, my wife and I did and if you did as well then agree that takes much more than "high level soccer" to succeed." This is a great point and now that our daughter is completing her first year playing D1 soccer it is amazing how many more things were critical to her success than soccer knowledge, technical abilities and fitness.

Making the adjustment to college classes, dealing with being a 17 year old on a team with girls up to 23 years old (5th year Seniors), adjusting to life in the Dorms with a room mate, the shift from "coach as mentor" to "coach as Boss", brutal competition for playing time, and living in a city 1,200 miles away and not being allowed to come home for the first 4 months of the school year (beginning of training camp through the end of the season). All of these turned out to be much harder than demonstrating soccer knowledge, technical abilities and fitness.

Comment

"Not everyone graduated from college, my wife and I did and if you did as well then agree that takes much more than "high level soccer" to succeed." This is a great point and now that our daughter is completing her first year playing D1 soccer it is amazing how many more things were critical to her success than soccer knowledge, technical abilities and fitness.

Making the adjustment to college classes, dealing with being a 17 year old on a team with girls up to 23 years old (5th year Seniors), adjusting to life in the Dorms with a room mate, the shift from "coach as mentor" to "coach as Boss", brutal competition for playing time, and living in a city 1,200 miles away and not being allowed to come home for the first 4 months of the school year (beginning of training camp through the end of the season). All of these turned out to be much harder than demonstrating soccer knowledge, technical abilities and fitness.
                        It's a huge adjustment for most students, made only that much more challenging being an athlete.

Comment

Sophomores still have time to pull up their grades and still get recruited, if that's what they still want. Juniors who haven't locked in a spot are the ones really panicked, with good reason. Showcases may not happen and possibly summer ID events, yet they have to apply ED or EA in the fall.

A good player with good grades will have many more options than one with only ok grades. Athletic scholarships aren't as plentiful as people think, but merit money and financial aid is there if you qualify and sticks all 4 years.
                          All correct! Thank you

Comment

That is why so many kids with the “soccer dream” quit after first college season. To the disappointment of mom and dad bragging about playing D1. And if grades and studying habits are so so, kid is back home. Prioritize

Comment

That is why so many kids with the “soccer dream” quit after first college season. To the disappointment of mom and dad bragging about playing D1. And if grades and studying habits are so so, kid is back home. Prioritize
                              But if they don't quit it is amazing how much they grow from the experience! D has learned incredible lessons about the true requirements for success as an adult in the world. Especially self-management. You learn quick that you shouldn't stay up late late drinking the night before when you have a 6:00 AM Lift session, classes all day and practice at 5 PM!

Comment

What the poster didn't mention was the over-the-top support your D1 athlete has available: nutritionist, sports psychologist, team of physical therapists, dedicated academic advisor (specializing in advising for athletes), preferred early sign up for housing, preferred early sign up for classes, free academic tutoring, free off-campus medical care (if required), no cost tickets to all on campus sporting events, low-cost tickets to professional sport events in the area, a ton of sport specific free athletic wear, a ton of free logo-ed university leisure wear, etc.

If all that is available to your kid you may want to reinforce grades and study habits but still amazing how many kids quit after first college season. It's a grind.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X