Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s wrong with Soccer in Florida

The problem I see is that we are a bunch of wimps. Our practice was cancelled tonight because there is a Hurricane hundreds of miles away. In addition they have already cancelled our weekend games. We are on the East coast of Florida and have had no weather at all. My bet is that they are practicing tonight in Atlanta where their teams can compete on the national level. It is time to get with the program you pansie Florida pussy clubs.

I agree we cancel too much here.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The problem I see is that we are a bunch of wimps. Our practice was cancelled tonight because there is a Hurricane hundreds of miles away. In addition they have already cancelled our weekend games. We are on the East coast of Florida and have had no weather at all. My bet is that they are practicing tonight in Atlanta where their teams can compete on the national level. It is time to get with the program you pansie Florida pussy clubs.
      All GSA (in ATLANTA) fields are closed today (DUE TO WEATHER)...so can end this stupid thread before even more haters pile on??!!

Comment

All GSA (in ATLANTA) fields are closed today (DUE TO WEATHER)...so can end this stupid thread before even more haters pile on??!!
        The weather is normally pretty good but, the parents on the sidelines for the most part are dreadful. They sit there with their damn umbrellas and block the view for every one and then complain about calls based on their knowledge of american football or basketball

Comment

Which part of the thread is stupid. It is true that as a group we are weak and lack conviction and deserve the beat downs we get. Way too much missed training. Sometimes it is lightning an hour away, sometimes it is rain that came yesterday. Now it is a storm on the other side of the state. Enough is enough.
          BTW this Atlanta club who has teams in the top leagues has their fields open tonight.

http://milton.unitedfa.org/

Comment

The weather is normally pretty good but, the parents on the sidelines for the most part are dreadful. They sit there with their damn umbrellas and block the view for every one and then complain about calls based on their knowledge of american football or basketball
            It was annoying when there were 1 or 2 of them. Now the sidelines look more like a Mary Poppins festival than a soccer match.

Comment

It was annoying when there were 1 or 2 of them. Now the sidelines look more like a Mary Poppins festival than a soccer match.
              The 10x10 tents being used at 9am matches is awesome. THE SUN IS BARELY ON THE HORIZON, the only sun you’re blocking is only shading the neighboring field!

Comment

You win talking soccer today

Comment

Pretty broad question

There are alot things wrong with soccer in Florida - but is it really any different here than somewhere else? I grew up playing soccer in MN and my kid plays here in Florida and I see the same problems here as I did 30 years ago in MN. Poor coaching - coaches only care and focus on the star players and don't hold them accountable for making their teammates better and allowing them to play selfish (not pass - hogging the ball) Coaches also don't allow the lesser skilled players enough playing time to get better because everything is based on winning and not development and I mean this for the U12 and lower kids - Also 30 years ago we practiced 5 nights a week plus a Saturday game, now your lucky if you get 3 practices in a week plus a game and get charged a high dollar amount. Then you have the club D.O.C. does any club have a decent D.O.C. ?? Highly doubtful! Then you have too many different clubs to choose from - god forbid we all get along and just have one club per city with multiple teams and levels for all children! I know I know money talks in Florida! Then there are the parents good grief parents shut up and let the kids play. I live on the left coast of Florida and the parents are fairly decent - east coast - forget about it! Yes I know the skill of soccer blows the west coast out of the water but does that mean the parents have to be so disgusting and nasty? I dunno its just my two cents - keep the peace parents - our children are watching us....

Comment

$$$ is the problem. No one gives a **** about the kids development. All about the $$$$. I’ve been around and nothing is as sick as Florida

Comment

For boys it is simple...the better athletes and the ones that would be naturally more talented tend to play football. What is left over plays baseball and basketball. Then you get your soccer players...the most mediocre of mediocre of athletes.

On the girls side...too much division of talent. Every area has multiple teams pulling from the same talent pool. Good players will leave to be the star somewhere else.

Comment

For boys it is simple...the better athletes and the ones that would be naturally more talented tend to play football. What is left over plays baseball and basketball. Then you get your soccer players...the most mediocre of mediocre of athletes.

On the girls side...too much division of talent. Every area has multiple teams pulling from the same talent pool. Good players will leave to be the star somewhere else.
                        Years ago, I would agree with you. Now, with the injuries attributed to football, and the fear of CTE and long-term damage, parents are keeping kids out of football and pushing them towards soccer. I agree . . . good athletes play football, but I disagree that soccer players are the most mediocre of mediocre athletes. Maybe where YOU live, that is the case. In Florida, the push has always been football, but with the evolution of soccer and the soccer vibe in the US, it will become a sport of choice for young, athletic, talented players. What drives many away is the lack of lucrative jobs in the US. Many of the pro athletes put their kids in soccer and won't allow their kids to play tackle football until 13. One in particular told me he has his son in soccer to learn agility, footwork, and endurance, and he plays flag football to get the fundamentals of the game. He will not even THINK about letting him play tackle until 13. No compromise!!!

Comment

$$$ is the problem. No one gives a **** about the kids development. All about the $$$$. I’ve been around and nothing is as sick as Florida
                          Agree 100%. Soccer is run by money hungry leeches in Florida.

Comment

you know $#!+ about the game, Usain Bolt if you don't know who he is google him, he is playing 3dr division soccer because he is just not good at it, you can be a top athlete and doesnt quality you to play soccer, soccer players are born not made , soccer players need to be technically gifted , a fast desicion maker , the ball runs faster than any human being.

Comment

you know $#!+ about the game, Usain Bolt if you don't know who he is google him, he is playing 3dr division soccer because he is just not good at it, you can be a top athlete and doesnt quality you to play soccer, soccer players are born not made , soccer players need to be technically gifted , a fast desicion maker , the ball runs faster than any human being.
                              Once again, another failure to understand sports. My point was, that in Florida, the athletes who would be naturally predisposed to be good at soccer are playing other sports limiting the pool of kids playing soccer. Every great athlete in other countries want to play soccer, very few great athletes in the US want to play soccer. Yes, Bolt may not be a very good soccer player, but has also not put much time into getting very good at it.

I am also not saying every great athlete would make a great soccer player, but that being a great athlete gives you a better chance. There are tons of sports where quick decisions can make or break a game...football, hockey, and basketball come to mind as all three of those sports deal with player movement. Vision, natural spatial awareness, as well as athleticism help. The idea is that if you took these athletes who are very gifted and put them on a pitch at a young age with the same desire they show sports like football and basketball that they wouldn't develop into elite soccer players as well is short-sighted and ignorant. Good athletes are good athletes...I would expect that top-level soccer players put in a similar situation with another sport would excel as well.

You are correct that soccer players are born, but it is not so much being good at soccer, but that they are naturally gifted athletes that can easily be molded to a sport.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X