Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sportsmanship II

The score in a HS Boys game is 7-0 within the first 15 minutes . Only 3 subs on the bench. Coach rotates out players and makes them pass around as much as possible for the next 65 minutes. Final is 11-0, coach gets in trouble with AD for running up the score.

What would you do as coach?

I'd say the rotation and passing instructions should have come after the first 3 goals.

Comment

I guess after a touchdown just no shooting whatsoever. Probably could've stretched those first 7 out for a bit longer. Then, do what he did by trying to keep it down.

But, I can tell you sometimes that's worse. If you start playing keep away and the "ole's" come out, you get a crack in the knee for your trouble.

There is no great solution often. But, I would say letting it get to 11-0 was too much...not sue where you draw the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I'd say the rotation and passing instructions should have come after the first 3 goals.
        Yes surely it was evident where the game was going to go.

Comment

So why not have a mercy rule then?

Comment

Blowouts

So why not have a mercy rule then?
            First - the NHIAA does have a mercy rule - running clock for everything after a 5 goal differential. Subs, injury, etc... official does not stop the clock for anything.

Second, both teams have a responsibility to prevent this. Team that is up by 5 goals needs to rotate players out of positions and demand they play 3 touch soccer with no shots form inside the 18 or even 20 yards. Team that is up can also implement a "no challenge" rule with their players that when the other team gets possession, you contain and maintain shape but only challenge the ball in your defensive 1/3.

Third, the team down by 5 or 6 needs to coach up the kids in game and practice. I have been on both ends of this scenario and the responsibility is 60-40 in favor of the team getting blown out to coach up the kids technical skills to prevent this in the future.

Lastly - the NHIAA does a HORRIBLE job of their classification for sports across the board. School size and numbers are not an indicator of ability. They have a screwed up system for petitioning up or down in divisions. Teams that are getting blown out 5 or 6 or more on a consistent basis don't belong in that division. Let them play down. Conversely, teams that are top 4 every single year need to be moved up a division like NY, PA, NJ, and CT do with programs. Maintain a competitive balance.

Comment

First - the NHIAA does have a mercy rule - running clock for everything after a 5 goal differential. Subs, injury, etc... official does not stop the clock for anything.

Second, both teams have a responsibility to prevent this. Team that is up by 5 goals needs to rotate players out of positions and demand they play 3 touch soccer with no shots form inside the 18 or even 20 yards. Team that is up can also implement a "no challenge" rule with their players that when the other team gets possession, you contain and maintain shape but only challenge the ball in your defensive 1/3.

Third, the team down by 5 or 6 needs to coach up the kids in game and practice. I have been on both ends of this scenario and the responsibility is 60-40 in favor of the team getting blown out to coach up the kids technical skills to prevent this in the future.

Lastly - the NHIAA does a HORRIBLE job of their classification for sports across the board. School size and numbers are not an indicator of ability. They have a screwed up system for petitioning up or down in divisions. Teams that are getting blown out 5 or 6 or more on a consistent basis don't belong in that division. Let them play down. Conversely, teams that are top 4 every single year need to be moved up a division like NY, PA, NJ, and CT do with programs. Maintain a competitive balance.

I have also been on both sides and passing the ball around for 65 minutes is worse than scoring 11 goals. Running around in circles chasing a ball ends quickly and the losing team just walks around. Hence my call for a Mercy Rule, game ends at 10-0.

Comment

I have also been on both sides and passing the ball around for 65 minutes is worse than scoring 11 goals. Running around in circles chasing a ball ends quickly and the losing team just walks around. Hence my call for a Mercy Rule, game ends at 10-0.
                No. Players and parents have traveled for this game, they may as well play the full time. At 4-0, a coach should have all his bench players in and restricted to one touch passing, and weak foot shots on goal. If more goals are scored after this, restrict it to only one touch passes with the weak foot (nobody should be using their dominant foot). At the level of most high school players, there shouldn't be much more scoring going on with these two restrictions, as long as the other team is ambulatory. Just playing keep away is really no fun for either team, and as pointed out above, very easy for the other team to just give up, and is not really increasing the skills of the dominant team.

Comment

For my teams, when they get up big, I typically add rules (pretty much in this order .... starts with simple stuff and if scoring continues add additional ones):

1.) Can only shoot with weak foot or on volley
                  2.) Have to complete 7 or 8 passes before going to goal (start again if lose possession)
                  3.) Must complete five 1-2s before going to goal (start again if lose possession)
                  4.) Have to complete 7 or 8 passes past midfield before going to goal (start again if lose possession)
                  5.) Must complete five 1-2s past midfield before going to goal (start again if lose possession)
                  6.) Remove 1 player from field
                  7.) Remove 2 players from field

The kids that are playing need to play to a.) work on stuff they need to practice and b.) they need to play at game speed to continue to build their fitness and technical abilities at full or 3/4 speed. It's supposed to be competitive so the kids should not be asked to develop bad habits and play slowly or do things that prevent them from scoring, but you can add stuff that they need to work on that will come in handy later. I would not change positions or play keep away .... i find that very patronizing and obnoxious.

Comment

For my teams, when they get up big, I typically add rules (pretty much in this order .... starts with simple stuff and if scoring continues add additional ones):

1.) Can only shoot with weak foot or on volley
                    2.) Have to complete 7 or 8 passes before going to goal (start again if lose possession)
                    3.) Must complete five 1-2s before going to goal (start again if lose possession)
                    4.) Have to complete 7 or 8 passes past midfield before going to goal (start again if lose possession)
                    5.) Must complete five 1-2s past midfield before going to goal (start again if lose possession)
                    6.) Remove 1 player from field
                    7.) Remove 2 players from field

The kids that are playing need to play to a.) work on stuff they need to practice and b.) they need to play at game speed to continue to build their fitness and technical abilities at full or 3/4 speed. It's supposed to be competitive so the kids should not be asked to develop bad habits and play slowly or do things that prevent them from scoring, but you can add stuff that they need to work on that will come in handy later. I would not change positions or play keep away .... i find that very patronizing and obnoxious.
                    These are high school age kids who should be able to handle a big loss. Yes, the winning team can do some things to slow the scoring, but my kids have been on the receiving end of a big loss and have always hated it when the other team sits all the best players and just passes the ball around. They find that insulting. One told me it doesn’t help the losing team to stop playing. They really don’t care if they lose 6 to 0 or 12 to 0. A loss is a loss. The job of the losing team and losing coach is to find moments in the game where they win - a tackle, a save, a shot on goal. Celebrate those moments.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X