Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Do you really think they want to help snotty nose kids from america?They probably have a good laugh when they are sitting with their mates having a nice cold pint. Stupid Americans!
    Don't let the boat leave without them. Eurotrash.

Comment

Exactly! In your average New England town, there is probably one, maybe two, kids in each age group who have enough passion for soccer to want to play all the time. There just aren't groups of kids hanging around the soccer fields to gather into a pickup game. This is why club soccer is so popular, as it's a place to gather all the kids passionate about soccer across multiple surrounding towns. Misguided parents will put in the time and effort to get their kids to club practice, since they are paying for it and regard professional coaching so highly. Far fewer would be willing to drive their kid a half hour to a regional pickup game. Sad when the adult pickup games far outnumber youth pickup games.
      Don't agree with the passion part. Went to my kid's soccer practice tonight and out of the roughly 100 kids practicing on the fields saw somewhere less than a dozen who looked like they were in to it. Most were going through the motions. I came away disgusted and had a long chat with my wife afterwards about what the heck we are spending so much money for.

Comment

Don't agree with the passion part. Went to my kid's soccer practice tonight and out of the roughly 100 kids practicing on the fields saw somewhere less than a dozen who looked like they were in to it. Most were going through the motions. I came away disgusted and had a long chat with my wife afterwards about what the heck we are spending so much money for.
        I'll bet yours was the hardest worker there, right.

Comment

Exactly! In your average New England town, there is probably one, maybe two, kids in each age group who have enough passion for soccer to want to play all the time. There just aren't groups of kids hanging around the soccer fields to gather into a pickup game. This is why club soccer is so popular, as it's a place to gather all the kids passionate about soccer across multiple surrounding towns. Misguided parents will put in the time and effort to get their kids to club practice, since they are paying for it and regard professional coaching so highly. Far fewer would be willing to drive their kid a half hour to a regional pickup game. Sad when the adult pickup games far outnumber youth pickup games.
          Could you please post this scientific study somewhere so I can see the results. I find that curious. I know of the 30+ associated with my kid's age group/gender (3 teams), I can rattle off at least 10 kids who cannot get enough of it. Every time someone needs help to fill in a roster on another team, they raise their hand. They thirst for the game. Another 10 never miss anything and put in the work. Sure, there's a few out there who probably don't want to be there. I assume it's the same with piano lessons. Similar to the kids who go in to warm up on a ski day, and never want to leave the lodge.

It's pretty difficult for an 11 year old kid to organize a pick up game vs. an adult.

Comment

Could you please post this scientific study somewhere so I can see the results. I find that curious. I know of the 30+ associated with my kid's age group/gender (3 teams), I can rattle off at least 10 kids who cannot get enough of it. Every time someone needs help to fill in a roster on another team, they raise their hand. They thirst for the game. Another 10 never miss anything and put in the work. Sure, there's a few out there who probably don't want to be there. I assume it's the same with piano lessons. Similar to the kids who go in to warm up on a ski day, and never want to leave the lodge.

It's pretty difficult for an 11 year old kid to organize a pick up game vs. an adult.
            Also in some areas kids can't just walk over to the closest park and have an impromptu game. I grew up in a "neighborhood" where you could stop at ten houses walking to the park and find kids to play with. In my area now houses are spread out and the closest park is a few miles. Then everyone needs to find a ride and it becomes a thing. Once the kids hit driving ages I've found the pickup games happen more often. So I think it' isn't so much the desire but more situational. Our lousy NE winters don't help either.

Comment

You're making my point. It's a kid's game. Lighten up Francis.

Comment

Also in some areas kids can't just walk over to the closest park and have an impromptu game. I grew up in a "neighborhood" where you could stop at ten houses walking to the park and find kids to play with. In my area now houses are spread out and the closest park is a few miles. Then everyone needs to find a ride and it becomes a thing. Once the kids hit driving ages I've found the pickup games happen more often. So I think it' isn't so much the desire but more situational. Our lousy NE winters don't help either.
                That's the case with us as well. We don't have any other children in the immediate area, and the road is too busy to let her walk to the closest field (about a mile away). I have no problem dropping her off or going over myself with her, but she can't just waltz over there. Maybe I'm overprotective on that.

Comment

Every kid is willing to jump into a game and play when asked. I'm talking about real passion for the game. How many of those kids do you honestly think spend time every day, not just soccer practice days, practicing on their own? How many of them watch Bundesliga, Serie A, Premier League games to study how the game should be played? I'll bet very few in your average MA town. Perhaps you live in a soccer hotspot, but most people don't.

Comment

Every kid is willing to jump into a game and play when asked. I'm talking about real passion for the game. How many of those kids do you honestly think spend time every day, not just soccer practice days, practicing on their own? How many of them watch Bundesliga, Serie A, Premier League games to study how the game should be played? I'll bet very few in your average MA town. Perhaps you live in a soccer hotspot, but most people don't.
                    True dat.
                    Soccer hotspots. One or two enthusiastic parents coordinating pickup games and direction for parents.

Comment

I can't vouch for all, but I know my kid watches every game she can. Saturday mornings have EPL on back-to-back-to-back. Drives my wife crazy.

She also works on her skills on the back deck every day.

You seem to have the answers on how many do everything slated above. What makes you so sure? (just curious)

Comment

A kid expresses a desire to get better at soccer.

Parent living anywhere but US: great play more soccer!
                        US parent: great let me find my checkbook!
                        Pick up games are tough because 1. Kids are over scheduled to begin with, 2. If a bunch of kids arranged pick up games on town or school fields they would likely be sent away by someone for liability reasons.

Everything g is a league even rec and it all is controlled by some entity now.

Comment

I can't vouch for all, but I know my kid watches every game she can. Saturday mornings have EPL on back-to-back-to-back. Drives my wife crazy.

She also works on her skills on the back deck every day.

You seem to have the answers on how many do everything slated above. What makes you so sure? (just curious)
                          What town is this, where the kids watch EPL and practice in their yards everyday? We'll move up so my kid can join the throngs of passionate soccer players in your local pickup games. My kid, sadly, has been the lone kid at the fields in our town on unscheduled soccer days for the past five years since he started playing. We clearly live in the wrong area.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X