Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why do coaches do that with GK? I don't get it. My son's coach is pretty good but even he puts unrealistic demands on him at times to try and make up for the weaker play of the team. The current A team coach seems anti GK.

I don't get it. It's a valuable position and my son has kept his team IN some games. But he rarely gets a pat on the back. He can save 15 shots. No big deal. Another kid gets one goal and the coach and parents go crazy.

What age did your son make the switch?
    Some coaches don't value the position for their own reasons; I don't get it either but it happens. Mine moved to a top club at U13 so he was dealing with all kinds of changes - field, net, new club, new team, fighting for PT. It was shaky for awhile but he had a great and supportive GK trainer who kept his steady. But when he started HS he was raring to go and battled to become the starting GK on Varsity after just a few games. Plays in college now and had to do the same thing - prove his worth.

Comment

It's not uncommon for coaches at all levels to not really appreciate their goalkeepers and over the span of my two keepers I have only experienced a precious few coaches who actually knew how to coach their keepers. Usually the ones that could do it well were either former keepers or defenders.

Run as fast as you can from a coach who "blames" their keeper for goals. They are idiots who don't understand the first thing about being a keeper. Goals happen at all levels. The best thing you can do with a young keeper is teach them to forget that the ball went (or the consequences thereof) and focus strictly on their play leading up to the shot and their reaction to the shot. I think you both find it far more educational (and less stressful)

One thing that you really want to look for in a coach is someone who actively encourages their team to play the ball back to the keeper and who lets their keeper initiate the attack instead of continually play the ball to back. A keeper's ability to accurately place a ball to teammates at different depths is becoming more and more of a desired skill.

As far as the amount of training goes, I would suggest that your keeper put in as much work into being a keeper as a their field playing teammates put into being field players. That means 2 if not 3 keeper sessions a week. They don't necessarily have to be 1 1/2 hour sessions (usually short and intense work better) and can be done during a portion the team's practices. A suggestion, talk to your coach and DOC about potentially pairing your son with some other keepers who might be practicing at the same time and giving them a coach to work them out for 30-40 minutes.

Comment

Why do coaches do that with GK? I don't get it. My son's coach is pretty good but even he puts unrealistic demands on him at times to try and make up for the weaker play of the team. The current A team coach seems anti GK.

I don't get it. It's a valuable position and my son has kept his team IN some games. But he rarely gets a pat on the back. He can save 15 shots. No big deal. Another kid gets one goal and the coach and parents go crazy.

What age did your son make the switch?
        If your son is facing 15 shots run from that club. I good team will limit the shots and good keepers will come up with the 1 to 2 saves needed to keep them in a game. Keepers that are doing it right don't get credit because they put themselves in a position to make the easy save rather than the flashy diving save.

Comment

They are swamped this time of year and with the calendar year changes it's probably even worse. Ask to bring your son in for an evaluation - don't wait for tryouts. They'll find room for a quality candidate. As the other poster said even if it's B team that isn't a bad thing - good training, better competition, and a chance to move up over time (things change all the time with injuries, kids leaving, etc). It sounds like you know what you have to do, but I also know taking that leap of faith can be scary. We did it at the same age - VERY stressful as my D was "happy" where she was but wanted something better. But once we did it we never looked back. Good luck!
          Thanks for the response. I think the leap of faith is def a factor. He's happy. The grass isn't always greener. But I truly believe he is ready for a change. I suspect he'll try out where we can and see what happens. I appreciate your sharing your experiences.

Comment

My son is now U15. He plays on a regional NPL team.

I think he handled the transition fine, the field is bigger and more players result in more long distance shots

The bigger transition is the larger ball. It's harder to catch. Technique becomes more important.

Also, On the bigger field goal kicks and distributions (foot and throwing) are more important.
            Good things to know. He already practices with a size 5 on his own. And distribution is one of his strengths. I was mostly worried about the net size. He'll obviously grow into it. But I imagine U13 takes some adjusting.

Comment

Some coaches don't value the position for their own reasons; I don't get it either but it happens. Mine moved to a top club at U13 so he was dealing with all kinds of changes - field, net, new club, new team, fighting for PT. It was shaky for awhile but he had a great and supportive GK trainer who kept his steady. But when he started HS he was raring to go and battled to become the starting GK on Varsity after just a few games. Plays in college now and had to do the same thing - prove his worth.
              Glad to hear your son has had such a positive experience/outcome. At the end of the day, that's all we want for them. The tricky part is getting them there.

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
                It's not uncommon for coaches at all levels to not really appreciate their goalkeepers and over the span of my two keepers I have only experienced a precious few coaches who actually knew how to coach their keepers. Usually the ones that could do it well were either former keepers or defenders.

Run as fast as you can from a coach who "blames" their keeper for goals. They are idiots who don't understand the first thing about being a keeper. Goals happen at all levels. The best thing you can do with a young keeper is teach them to forget that the ball went (or the consequences thereof) and focus strictly on their play leading up to the shot and their reaction to the shot. I think you both find it far more educational (and less stressful)

One thing that you really want to look for in a coach is someone who actively encourages their team to play the ball back to the keeper and who lets their keeper initiate the attack instead of continually play the ball to back. A keeper's ability to accurately place a ball to teammates at different depths is becoming more and more of a desired skill.

As far as the amount of training goes, I would suggest that your keeper put in as much work into being a keeper as a their field playing teammates put into being field players. That means 2 if not 3 keeper sessions a week. They don't necessarily have to be 1 1/2 hour sessions (usually short and intense work better) and can be done during a portion the team's practices. A suggestion, talk to your coach and DOC about potentially pairing your son with some other keepers who might be practicing at the same time and giving them a coach to work them out for 30-40 minutes.
                Luckily his coach doesn't blame him. And thankfully my son is pretty emotionally mature. I think the coach just knows what he can do and his expectations are high. Sometimes they seem unfair given he's still 11. All kids need feedback/praise and he seems to save it for the goal scorers since the team is struggling so much. Young coach, so I think that's part of it.

I'm discouraged to hear about the lack of respect from coaches for the position. That makes finding the right club more difficult.

Thanks for your response and advice.

Comment

If your son is facing 15 shots run from that club. I good team will limit the shots and good keepers will come up with the 1 to 2 saves needed to keep them in a game. Keepers that are doing it right don't get credit because they put themselves in a position to make the easy save rather than the flashy diving save.
                  What is it about the flash? All coaches seem to like the flashy dribblers etc. Even if they constantly lose the ball.

Comment

Good things to know. He already practices with a size 5 on his own. And distribution is one of his strengths. I was mostly worried about the net size. He'll obviously grow into it. But I imagine U13 takes some adjusting.
                    The good news is the opponent's GK is facing the same issue - adjusting to the bigger net. Size certainly helps but athleticism/quickness is very important. This is where sticking the pudgy slower kid in the net won't work as a defensive strategy any longer. A lot of keepers start to get weeded out at this age.

Comment

What is it about the flash? All coaches seem to like the flashy dribblers etc. Even if they constantly lose the ball.
                      Not all - the smart ones don't fall for the tricks. There just aren't that many smart coaches out there. And most times the parent of the flashy dribbler has an over-inflated opinion of his kids' true abilities.

Comment

The good news is the opponent's GK is facing the same issue - adjusting to the bigger net. Size certainly helps but athleticism/quickness is very important. This is where sticking the pudgy slower kid in the net won't work as a defensive strategy any longer. A lot of keepers start to get weeded out at this age.
                        Agree. Still working with him on his agility. At 5'2" he's a solid 105 lbs. Well within healthy range but not a beanpole like some kids. He's prepuberty so he has little muscle mass to move his weight in comparison to the lighter kids who have an easier time. It will be interesting to see how puberty affects him and hopefully helps him.

Comment

Not all - the smart ones don't fall for the tricks. There just aren't that many smart coaches out there. And most times the parent of the flashy dribbler has an over-inflated opinion of his kids' true abilities.
                          True about the parents. It's so interesting that flashy footskills doesn't always translate to game play. There is so much more you need to be able to do. We have a flashy striker that constantly loses the ball because he doesn't know when to distribute. I think he was the fast/flashy and successful U10 kid who was encouraged to cherry pick before U11 offside. Now he doesn't know what to do. He loses the ball and just stands there. And he's constantly called offside. His prior coaches really did him a disservice. Makes you wonder what things your own kid is being taught and encouraged to do.

Comment

Thank you so much for all of the positive and helpful responses. We'll likely call a few clubs, tryout where we can, and see what happens.

Comment

Thank you so much for all of the positive and helpful responses. We'll likely call a few clubs, tryout where we can, and see what happens.
                              Another poster is right - get him to training sessions now. Don't wait for tryouts. Gives both sides a chance to evaluate fit and you can feel out the GK trainer, team coaches, etc. By tryout time many of these decisions are already made and tryouts are just for show, maybe pickup 1-2 outsiders.

Comment

Another poster is right - get him to training sessions now. Don't wait for tryouts. Gives both sides a chance to evaluate fit and you can feel out the GK trainer, team coaches, etc. By tryout time many of these decisions are already made and tryouts are just for show, maybe pickup 1-2 outsiders.
                                Spot on, especially this year with all the changes. My GK tells me there have been 2-3 outside GK's at every training for the last couple of weeks. I'm guessing most of the decisions about team placement will be made far ahead of tryouts.

Also, I would worry less about the A/B label and find him the best training you can, especially at his age. The A/B stuff will work itself out, but he'll never be able to make up for lost time in terms of training.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X