Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MYSA Summer District Select Program

Is the MYSA Summer District Select Program worthwhile? For girls u11/u12? Any previous experiences with it would be appreciated!

It's a cheap and convenient way to play organized soccer in the summer if you don't mind travelling to Lancaster.

Both of my kids had good experiences with the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Is the MYSA Summer District Select Program worthwhile? For girls u11/u12? Any previous experiences with it would be appreciated!
      Well, I think it is more about touches. The competition was ok. More premiere than elite play. The coaches mean well. It's more like pick up games that are organized.

Comment

District Select Soccer can be a blast for the kids. It is a coach dependent experience however. My daughter has played since U12 and has enjoyed it very much. She has a very experienced coach and the majority of her teammates play club soccer.

You can always sign up for tryouts and see what the caliber of players and coaching looks like for your district.

Comment

Depends upon the coach. First year my daughter loved it and had a great coach who played everyone equally and in different positions until the season ending tournament. 2nd year politics came into play and a buddy of our district's organizer replaced the first year's coach. New coach played favorites, didn't move kids around and was generally a jerk. Ruined the whole experience for her and she hasn't been back.

Comment

Not only is it dependent on coaches it is dependent on the district coordinator. Some are good and some are beyond clueless. Had two good seasons and two total waste of time seasons. Not a well run program from my experience. Some districts create A team and and B team. Some average out two teams and they're junk. While other just make on A team and cut the rest. No consistency across the board between the districts.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              Not only is it dependent on coaches it is dependent on the district coordinator. Some are good and some are beyond clueless. Had two good seasons and two total waste of time seasons. Not a well run program from my experience. Some districts create A team and and B team. Some average out two teams and they're junk. While other just make on A team and cut the rest. No consistency across the board between the districts.
              One more thing. Coaches are usually posted prior to tryouts. Do your research on coach and you should be able to tell right away if you are wasting your time and money.

Comment

MYSA has someone else in charge of the program for this coming summer and they are trying to revamp the program- sounds like it will be mostly the same for this summer but perhaps some changes after that. Agree that the experience can be largely dependent on the coach- they're mostly volunteer parents. If MYSA can manage to make it easier on the coaches administratively, they might increase the pool of willing coaches.

Comment

it's really only touches. They don't create an A / B team - they try to spread the talent evenly. you must have patience with the program. Coaching is hit or miss. Think hard, it kills your summer weekends.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X