Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Let's start with the fact that this is none of your business. Really, you have no connection whatsoever to this family.
    This is just the sort of issue that would be covered in the sports section of the newspaper in the era before the Internet (with the headline something like "Local Boy Turns Pro"). The post-high school exploits of arguably the state's best male CM born in 1995 are certainly of interest on this site.

Comment

This is just the sort of issue that would be covered in the sports section of the newspaper in the era before the Internet (with the headline something like "Local Boy Turns Pro"). The post-high school exploits of arguably the state's best male CM born in 1995 are certainly of interest on this site.
      I thought you had to be good to play in Europe? Just to get working papers ? An American college bench player goes Pro in Europe ? What do the GPS mates think about this tale ?

Comment

I thought you had to be good to play in Europe? Just to get working papers ? An American college bench player goes Pro in Europe ? What do the GPS mates think about this tale ?
        He's not at Man U. I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Let him pursue his dream (or his dad's) then come crashing back to earth in due time as any professional athlete does when their career is over (some sooner than others). His choice. He's an adult now

Comment

UMF Leikner-Icelandic Soccer Team

What would a player make ?

Comment

UMF Leikner-Icelandic Soccer Team

What would a player make ?
            Average annual salary: 30.000 €

Comment

What do you think Donnie Smith for the Revs makes? He has been with the team since 2013.

Comment

What do you think Donnie Smith for the Revs makes? He has been with the team since 2013.
                I would say about the same.

Comment

I would say about the same.
                  No, he has to make atleast the league minimum which is just under double that at 60,000 a year.

Comment

No, he has to make at least the league minimum which is just under double that at 60,000 a year.
                    http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html

Comment

I would prefer my kid to get a degree from Stanford or NU and then pursue professional soccer if that is an option that is available. At least then there is something to fall back on when all is said and done. If the kid wants to pursue professional soccer now then that is his and his families decision. IMO not the best decision. I would have insisted that my kid stayed at Stanford even if he was not playing soccer.
                      ...and you would have suddenly been able to pay the full tuition and board? Scholarships are year to year. No guarantee. That is why kids leave.

Comment

...and you would have suddenly been able to pay the full tuition and board? Scholarships are year to year. No guarantee. That is why kids leave.
                        Not only that but a player who is getting no PT (a bigger reason for leaving) probably never had any athletic $ in the first place.

Comment

Not only that but a player who is getting no PT (a bigger reason for leaving) probably never had any athletic $ in the first place.
                          Yes, very true - coaches clearly favor the recruits they are paying, all other things being equal; a walk-on usually must be playing MUCH better to win a chance to play.... Probably shouldn't come as a surprise either!

Comment

Particularly on the men's side where there isn't much money to go around in the first place. Atop player can some decent $ but an average player (for that roster) not much and probably not a big factor in deciding to stay or leave.

Comment

How can you go and play professionally if you can't even get a scholarship to play? How is that possible?

Comment

How can you go and play professionally if you can't even get a scholarship to play? How is that possible?
                                Yeah, because those college coaches are unfailing judges of talent. Because there are not enough opportunities to play in the US? Because US Development Model is seriously flawed? Gee, I dunno....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X