Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I look at the fundamentals they teach, whether they incorporate footwork, intensity, speed of play and coaching style. Make sure you find small group training that limits the amount of time keepers stand still in a line waiting to perform. The best trainings have always been based on multiple stations that the keeper constantly transitions through at a brisk pace utilizing 6-8 similarly skilled keepers.

Our club holds keeper training in several different locations with a few different coaches so it's tough to give an accurate opinion in general.

It will go a long way towards determining coaching style and group size as well as the average skill level.

A decent team should carry 2 keepers and hopefully split play equally.
    Thanks so much for the detailed response. The above information is extremely helpful.

Comment

A decent team should carry 2 keepers and hopefully split play equally.
      Agree on that - especially for the OP's aged player (middle school). Training will only get you so far.

Comment

Agree on that - especially for the OP's aged player (middle school). Training will only get you so far.
        Currently my son is the FT keeper. If we stay he can/will keep his spot. There is a field player that is a back up.

So is it better to switch clubs for stronger GK training and hopefully a stronger team? Or stay put. Play 100% of the games. And supplement with outside training?

If he stays put he can prob play MS as well and get his field experience there.

My interest in seeking other clubs was due to the weakness of his team and worry that he won't develop as much. But playing 50% of games at a new club might be worse developmentally?

Comment

Currently my son is the FT keeper. If we stay he can/will keep his spot. There is a field player that is a back up.

So is it better to switch clubs for stronger GK training and hopefully a stronger team? Or stay put. Play 100% of the games. And supplement with outside training?

If he stays put he can prob play MS as well and get his field experience there.

My interest in seeking other clubs was due to the weakness of his team and worry that he won't develop as much. But playing 50% of games at a new club might be worse developmentally?
          If his team isn't very good then I'm assuming the competition isn't very good either. In any position you get better playing stronger competition. Getting better as a keeper isn't just about PT - it's also about training and who you play. 50% in a stronger situation is better than 100% in a weak one. If he wants to keep playing at least through HS he'll have to learn to deal with unequal PT and fighting for PT. Also, you could rack up hefty bills with supplemental training. Go to a better club with good GK training, better teams and competition. Anyway, that's MHO

Comment

If his team isn't very good then I'm assuming the competition isn't very good either. In any position you get better playing stronger competition. Getting better as a keeper isn't just about PT - it's also about training and who you play. 50% in a stronger situation is better than 100% in a weak one. If he wants to keep playing at least through HS he'll have to learn to deal with unequal PT and fighting for PT. Also, you could rack up hefty bills with supplemental training. Go to a better club with good GK training, better teams and competition. Anyway, that's MHO
            I appreciate that opinion. I agree, playing with stronger players makes you better. Just wanted to make sure we were on the right track if it meant giving up play time. My gut says it's time to leave. Just hard to make that jump.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X