improving quickness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is nice to read some quality info on here. Please post more often.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Speaking from experience as a former YNT player and pro, you are absolutely correct on this. There is a plethora of increase-speed gimmicks. They're just that, worthless gimmicks. A certain degree of explosive quickness--especially in the 5yd-15yd range--at the higher levels (DAP, ODP regional or youth national team, D1, pro) is imperative, but, agreeing with you 100%, mental quickness, i.e., "thinking one step ahead" (considering all pass options prior to receiving the ball), is, at he very least as, if not more, important than physical quickness. Superb distributors of the ball, at any position, can, in most cases, definitely compensate for a lack of quickness. Also, you're spot on with regard to the touches on a ball a pro takes. During the 2014 WC, I collected stats from 7 random games (25-minute segments) on the number of touches on the ball. Here are the results:

Touches Percentage
    1 39%
    2 29%
    3 9% (Thus, 77% of the WC play in this random sample was done using
    4 6% 1,2, or 3 touches)
    5 4%
    6 5%
    7 2%
    8 2%
    9 3%
    10 1%
    11 1%

Wingers accounted for most of the 7+ touches.

Youth players at any level should aspire to play 77% of the game, using three or fewer touches on the ball each possession. If quickness is not a gift a player has, then he or she can 1) think one step ahead 2) develop a superb touch on the ball 3) emulate the 77%.
    This costs nothing but discipline, determination and dedication.

Comment

Hi,

My child is athletic, strong and has advanced ball skills but, overall quickness has not progressed as quickly. Has anyone in Orlando used any speed/agility training companies for children?

If they can not improve their speed are they doomed as they get older?
      Speed of play (to me) combines speed of the brain with the technical capability and technical speed of the skills needed for a given tactic to happen.

At U10 speed of play might be the quick decision of one player to take someone on, execute the move, get the shot off, and not waste touches doing this.

At U12 speed of play might be seeing a defender approaching and executing a wall pass with a teammate, making 2 crisp passes to get by defender, then get a shot off with minimal touches.

At older ages speed of play will be more complex- runner 1 checking to ball, playing ball backwards to third player which sees a 4th player running (4th player started run on the first pass) and plays a chip over all players to the 4th player... and then a 5th player moves to far post when they see the backward pass...

All situations above could be seen in a professional game and all "speed of play" required thought of a tactic and also skills to execute that tactic. Without technical speed to execute the skills, the speed of the player is meaningless (to me).

In addition, speed takes on 3 forms to me

1) There is the hustle player which always moves for 90 minutes. Might not be fast, but work rate suggests that in 80th minute they are better than the competition which might be more tired or less inspired.

2) Players which are fast over medium and long soccer distances (20-40 yards). These are the physically fast players.

3) Players which are fast over short distances (3-5 yards). Often this speed comes from speed of thought, anticipation and possibly some acceleration training.

There are probably 20X more short runs (#3) than medium and long runs (#2) in a game. To me that means speed of thought is more important.

Comment

As a coach there is so much wrong information here. Center backs do not have to be fast, they have to be smart along with defenders. I do not mean sloooow. if you have average speed then you can play center back and defense as long as you are smart and technically sound but you do need smart teammates around you. If you do not have good ball skills in the back then you better be really fast to compensate for the mistakes you are eventually going to make. If I do not have defenders with good skills I put my fastest kids back there

Also you can train to be faster relative to themselves but I have never seen anyone go from average speed to blazing speed or slow to average but any increase in speed helps. One of the best ways to increase your speed is to lose 10 pounds of fat and get leaner although I do not recommend putting growing kids on diets to get fast.

Also the fastest kids is not always a striker. Sometimes its' the strongest who can hold the ball while support catches up or the kid who only needs a small window of opportunity to finish 90% of the time

Finally there is difference between being quick and playing quick. The ball moves faster than any player so you should not play more than 2-3 touches. Watch the pros all the time and learn,

I will take smart technically sound players every time over soccer stupid fast players
        you better be the smartest and most skilled player in the field if you are the slowest and you want to be succesful, otherwise bad news for you

Comment

you better be the smartest and most skilled player in the field if you are the slowest and you want to be succesful, otherwise bad news for you
          there are few players in top clubs at their age group that would be called SLOW. They would have been cut a long time ago

Comment

take a look at Mikel Arteta Arsenal's holding midfielder - good example for the discussion here.
            He has very good ball handling skills and a smart guy in the field but .. he is slow .. he is successful against most teams at premier league but against top teams at Champions league and BPL he is getting burned all the time and taking down the team with him. true fact

so there you have it .. you can be slow and have some success but you better be smart and highly skilled.

Comment

Every coach worth their salt tells you not to worry about speed at younger ages. In a sense it is a blessing. A slower 9 year old concentrates more on ball control, thinking, anticipation. Only if you are worried about winning plastic trophies at 8 or 9 or 10 and telling all the other parents how your kid is special is speed a problem. It's a parent problem, not a kid problem. The slower 9 year old will be fine at 15, 16 and may have superior mental and ball skills. "slower" does not mean slow. A true slow kid needs to play baseball. I am talking about the kids that are not fast enough to put on the wing at 8,9, 10 and yet have decent speed for middle or defense and good ball skills. I'll take that prototype kid in 4 years any time.

Comment

Every coach worth their salt tells you not to worry about speed at younger ages. In a sense it is a blessing. A slower 9 year old concentrates more on ball control, thinking, anticipation. Only if you are worried about winning plastic trophies at 8 or 9 or 10 and telling all the other parents how your kid is special is speed a problem. It's a parent problem, not a kid problem. The slower 9 year old will be fine at 15, 16 and may have superior mental and ball skills. "slower" does not mean slow. A true slow kid needs to play baseball. I am talking about the kids that are not fast enough to put on the wing at 8,9, 10 and yet have decent speed for middle or defense and good ball skills. I'll take that prototype kid in 4 years any time.
                Thank you. Marykayintouch u

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1407011]Every coach worth their salt tells you not to worry about speed at younger ages. In a sense it is a blessing. A slower 9 year old concentrates more on ball control, thinking, anticipation. Only if you are worried about winning plastic trophies at 8 or 9 or 10 and telling all the other parents how your kid is special is speed a problem. It's a parent problem, not a kid problem. The slower 9 year old will be fine at 15, 16 and may have superior mental and ball skills. "slower" does not mean slow. A true slow kid needs to play baseball. I am talking about the kids that are not fast enough to put on the wing at 8,9, 10 and yet have decent speed for middle or defense and good ball skills. I'll take that prototype kid in 4 years any time.[/QUOTE
                  Thank you.

Comment

take a look at Mikel Arteta Arsenal's holding midfielder - good example for the discussion here.
                    He has very good ball handling skills and a smart guy in the field but .. he is slow .. he is successful against most teams at premier league but against top teams at Champions league and BPL he is getting burned all the time and taking down the team with him. true fact

so there you have it .. you can be slow and have some success but you better be smart and highly skilled.
                    How about "Cruz"??

Comment

A couple of players that come to mind that fantastic players that I would not call fast. Del Pirlo, Thomas Mueller, Blanco.

Comment

A couple of players that come to mind that fantastic players that I would not call fast. Del Pirlo, Thomas Mueller, Blanco.
                        not very fast but quick with the ball as in quick to react and quick to make decisions

Comment

Del Pirlo and Thomas Mueller have eyes in the back of their heads, they anticipate and read the game very well. BTW; Mueller is not that slow:)

Comment

In my day we used a chicken in a pen we would chase that chicken all day long that worked great ! It made us have the eye of the tiger.
                            Lmao this was good but might actually work lol !

Comment

Del Pirlo and Thomas Mueller have eyes in the back of their heads, they anticipate and read the game very well. BTW; Mueller is not that slow:)
                              who is Del Pirlo? andrea pirlo you mean?

Comment

Hi,

My child is athletic, strong and has advanced ball skills but, overall quickness has not progressed as quickly. Has anyone in Orlando used any speed/agility training companies for children?

If they can not improve their speed are they doomed as they get older?
                                make them run sprints pulling the large team manager mom on a sled

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X