Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hogwash. Most club players on my kid's team very rarely showed up at the captains practices and all will start every game (as they should since they're rock stars compared to most of the others on the team). Those kids play high level soccer 10 months out of the year, don't benefit from going to the captains practice, and need the break away from soccer during the summer. My son was the exception but continually complained the unorganized chaos that ensued at those practices was a waste of his time. I trust his word since he has played in club since u-little.
    Same exact thing for my kid. Captain's practice was to meet at 6:30 at HS and then they never got organized until almost about 7 which is even funnier since all they ever do is just scrimmage anyway.

Comment

What does the coach have to do with it? It's a captains practice. You're way overthinking this.
      If players think there are no consequences then they'll walk over the coach. He's setting a poor example of commitment and the message that studs can do what they want, screw the others who show up all the time. It's not how you manage a successful team

Comment

Same exact thing for my kid. Captain's practice was to meet at 6:30 at HS and then they never got organized until almost about 7 which is even funnier since all they ever do is just scrimmage anyway.
        Our booster club hires an outside coach. Problem solved. Coach watches many days also even though he can't "coach"

Comment

Hogwash. Most club players on my kid's team very rarely showed up at the captains practices and all will start every game (as they should since they're rock stars compared to most of the others on the team). Those kids play high level soccer 10 months out of the year, don't benefit from going to the captains practice, and need the break away from soccer during the summer. My son was the exception but continually complained the unorganized chaos that ensued at those practices was a waste of his time. I trust his word since he has played in club since u-little.
          Your math is off on your months of “high level soccer”. I think you meant 7 months.

Comment

If players think there are no consequences then they'll walk over the coach. He's setting a poor example of commitment and the message that studs can do what they want, screw the others who show up all the time. It's not how you manage a successful team
            If whipping the messenger makes you happy then whatever, but forcing a kid to attend crappy workouts rather than making great off-season workouts to attract players is the catch for me. If the workouts had any merit, everyone would go, but they do not, so stop pretending they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and stop trying to force kids to attend (.... OR ELSE!) ..... now you know why your kids HS team plays such terrible soccer.

Comment

My kids have all had their ups and down with HS soccer, but they'd never give it up and I'm glad they didn't/haven't. Its over in a flash and once it's over you'll miss it.
              not at Oakwood. They spend their teen years in the Portland bubble training for the National team

Comment

Your math is off on your months of “high level soccer”. I think you meant 7 months.
                Yes, correct. For my other kids its 10 so I misspoke.

Comment

If whipping the messenger makes you happy then whatever, but forcing a kid to attend crappy workouts rather than making great off-season workouts to attract players is the catch for me. If the workouts had any merit, everyone would go, but they do not, so stop pretending they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and stop trying to force kids to attend (.... OR ELSE!) ..... now you know why your kids HS team plays such terrible soccer.
                  Your coach is to blame for not insuring better quality workouts. Hire a coach as another said. At a minimum talk to the captains and give them a curiculum. If the better players aren't showing up then the weaker players aren't benefiting. is a team, not just about what's good for your kid.

Comment

Your coach is to blame for not insuring better quality workouts. Hire a coach as another said. At a minimum talk to the captains and give them a curiculum. If the better players aren't showing up then the weaker players aren't benefiting. is a team, not just about what's good for your kid.
                    It's high school soccer. Everyone makes the team. The kids that did not make the town team a few years back are back to being soccer players again. There is little in the way of tactics unless you count booting it when it comes to your foot a tactic. The coach teaches math by day and then shows up at the field after school to pull in a little additional salary. It is not soccer that anyone takes real seriously.

Comment

It's high school soccer. Everyone makes the team. The kids that did not make the town team a few years back are back to being soccer players again. There is little in the way of tactics unless you count booting it when it comes to your foot a tactic. The coach teaches math by day and then shows up at the field after school to pull in a little additional salary. It is not soccer that anyone takes real seriously.

"It is not soccer that anyone takes real seriously"
                      Except the student athletes that participate. Maybe it isn't about you . It never was. I know that may be tough to take.

Comment

Tired trope. The better programs have club coaches not the stereotypical history teacher. The V rosters have lots of club players and make cuts. Clearly you don't have a better program. Doesn't mean all HS are suffering like yours

Comment

Tired trope. The better programs have club coaches not the stereotypical history teacher. The V rosters have lots of club players and make cuts. Clearly you don't have a better program. Doesn't mean all HS are suffering like yours
                          Agreed. But our teams and most of the teams we play in the tournament are like what I describe. Those touting the 'your kid better make every captains practice' line of BS aren't differentiating the higher and lower quality nature of it.

Comment

"It is not soccer that anyone takes real seriously"
                            Except the student athletes that participate. Maybe it isn't about you . It never was. I know that may be tough to take.
                            Its all about the kids who stated getting cut from the town teams a few years back and now are on the 'big boys squad'. Everyone else sees it for what it is including players and parents. I could care less until club time gets here as I rarely can make it out to see mid afternoon games.

Comment

Its all about the kids who stated getting cut from the town teams a few years back and now are on the 'big boys squad'. Everyone else sees it for what it is including players and parents. I could care less until club time gets here as I rarely can make it out to see mid afternoon games.
                              I'm sure no one misses you.

Comment

Your loss.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X