Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Please explain how playing high school makes playing college more likely?

As for our team, 0% of the girls play DA with a hope to play on the National team
    For my D, she made varsity HS as a freshman at a good (not great) program and it has improved her game quite a bit. Playing against mostly juniors and seniors 2-3 years older than herself has pushed her physically and mentally. Speed of play, physicality, etc. The team is probably half club players, so skill level is good. Play style is a bit more direct than club, but there is nothing wrong with learning to play multiple styles.

Bottom line, playing age appropriate in DA vs. High School and club was an easy decision. HS is more like college where you'll play against kids 2-3 years older than yourself.

Comment

My family makes close to 200k/yr. 15k per year in MA for an extracurricular activity is crazy and definitely not in our budget. 2 kids, private school, mortgage, etc... Both kids play club and we spend no where near that for both.

You're paying $1250/mo for soccer... that is a Porsche payment BTW. Less than 10% of families in MA can actually afford that based on their annual income. At least with a car payment, you actually get something. Paying that much for club soccer and you get no guarantees of scholarship money at the end of the road or that your kid will even decide to play in college...
      The Porsche and the high end soccer are both status symbols. Transportation and soccer lessons can be had much cheaper but you will have to sacrifice the status and people will pay loads for status.

Comment

The Porsche and the high end soccer are both status symbols. Transportation and soccer lessons can be had much cheaper but you will have to sacrifice the status and people will pay loads for status.
        They also pay loads for the premise that soccer will help their kids with college - either scholarships or getting into better schools. Buyer beware.

Comment

The part that always makes me chuckle is these people want to pay $15k a year as a status symbol AND brag that their kid is the best because they play in an "elite" league. Well, no, you bought your way in and there are hundreds of better players who just couldn't do the same.

Comment

My family makes close to 200k/yr. 15k per year in MA for an extracurricular activity is crazy and definitely not in our budget. 2 kids, private school, mortgage, etc... Both kids play club and we spend no where near that for both.
            I guess the same could be asked about you wasting money on private school in MA since we have the top public education in the country and recent studies have demonstrated that private schools don’t translate to better college placement.

Comment

The part that always makes me chuckle is these people want to pay $15k a year as a status symbol AND brag that their kid is the best because they play in an "elite" league. Well, no, you bought your way in and there are hundreds of better players who just couldn't do the same.
              A majority of the DA players in Massachusetts are the top players in the state. The false narrative you are promulgating is a byproduct of bitter parents.

Comment

A majority of the DA players in Massachusetts are the top players in the state. The false narrative you are promulgating is a byproduct of bitter parents.
                Top players in the state with the budget for fancy schmancy soccer. They are big fish in a small pond. Would they thrive in the big pond? Maybe some, maybe not some. We will never know as competetive soccer, especially on the girls side, is the domain of the well heeled.

Boys have some funded academies so they play in a bigger pond.

Comment

Top players in the state with the budget for fancy schmancy soccer. They are big fish in a small pond. Would they thrive in the big pond? Maybe some, maybe not some. We will never know as competetive soccer, especially on the girls side, is the domain of the well heeled.

Boys have some funded academies so they play in a bigger pond.
                  If your kid is talented they pay little to nothing.

Comment

If your kid is talented they pay little to nothing.
                    Lol. Sure. The Hotels put them up free. Free airline tickets and rental cars. Free gas. Free cleats and uniforms. Chauffeur provides transport to and from practice. These leagues are just crawling with low income talent.

Comment

Lol. Sure. The Hotels put them up free. Free airline tickets and rental cars. Free gas. Free cleats and uniforms. Chauffeur provides transport to and from practice. These leagues are just crawling with low income talent.
                      Hotel rooms are shared by multiple players, so, yes, clubs subsidize these players because it is nominal.

Teams generally fly cheap airlines at off times so round trip is usually sub-$300. Again, for 2 trips, it isn’t cost prohibitive to cover excellent players.

Their parents can’t afford to come so there are no rental cars or gas.

Uniforms are free in the DA.

These players get to practice via ride sharing, public transportation, or their parents.

Any other questions?

Comment

Dream on. You need to get out more and look. I have yet to see one these kids without an I phone. The imported SUVs are lined up 10 deep for pick up.

Comment

Dream on. You need to get out more and look. I have yet to see one these kids without an I phone. The imported SUVs are lined up 10 deep for pick up.
                          Since you had little knowledge about the logistics of DA I’ll assume you’re just trolling. Good luck.

Comment

Since you had little knowledge about the logistics of DA I’ll assume you’re just trolling. Good luck.
                            Very well aware of the circumstances of many gda players as would be anyone with experience in the league. Of you are claiming there any more then a tiny handful of low income players in the league, if that, you are not being truthful.

Comment

I will add that that is the experience in the Northeast region. There may be a funded gda or two in the league with lower income players.

Comment

I will add that that is the experience in the Northeast region. There may be a funded gda or two in the league with lower income players.
                                not the op - I think there's four funded GDA clubs, none in this area. Club fees might be slightly lower than ECNL clubs, but with travel costs added in GDA is still for the better-offs. The few and far between scholarships aren't enough to diversify the league. BDA not only has free clubs but many non MLS clubs do a better job reducing fees as well.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X