Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when you've missed all tryouts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do when you've missed all tryouts?

If you miss all the tryouts for a team are the coaches reluctant to take time to see your son?
    My son missed both tryouts for a team due to a vacation; would a coach take time to see him play?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you miss all the tryouts for a team are the coaches reluctant to take time to see your son?
    My son missed both tryouts for a team due to a vacation; would a coach take time to see him play?
    Contact the coach and do it as soon as possible!

Comment

Contact the coach and do it as soon as possible!
      that's good advice. especially since many decisions are being made this week and last. however, many coaches keep a spot or two open for later additions.

Comment

Quit right now because if you went on vacation and expected the world of club soccer to wait for your son your mindset is wrong for this environment. Don't get me wrong, I wish things were different but unless your son is a stud, he has no chance at all.

Comment

Quit right now because if you went on vacation and expected the world of club soccer to wait for your son your mindset is wrong for this environment. Don't get me wrong, I wish things were different but unless your son is a stud, he has no chance at all.
          It wasn't really a vacation. It was supposed to be a week trip and we were supposed to be back in the US before tryouts.. but my mother is extremely sick (cancer) and we had to care for her and we wanted to stay and care for her. So we stayed for an extra week.

Comment

It wasn't really a vacation. It was supposed to be a week trip and we were supposed to be back in the US before tryouts.. but my mother is extremely sick (cancer) and we had to care for her and we wanted to stay and care for her. So we stayed for an extra week.
            Doesn't matter. Unless your son is a real stud you missed your shot. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the family issue completely it is just that this environment doesn't actually care what the issues are. If your son didn't tryout he will be lucky to find a spot on a good team. More likely he will find a spot on a struggling team and you will face an uphill battle through the layers of club soccer. So I say again that unless your son is a real stud, quit now!

Comment

If your child were female, I'd say the norm would be to get on TS and talk smack about club x, y & z and coach a, b, c. Basically try and stir up as much garbage as possible, then go to
              winter training and try and get on a roster.

But as your child is male, I would make contact with the coach of any club(s) you might be interested and see if they'll take a look at your son.

Comment

Doesn't matter. Unless your son is a real stud you missed your shot. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the family issue completely it is just that this environment doesn't actually care what the issues are. If your son didn't tryout he will be lucky to find a spot on a good team. More likely he will find a spot on a struggling team and you will face an uphill battle through the layers of club soccer. So I say again that unless your son is a real stud, quit now!
                Wrong. This is simply bad info. Coaches are always looking for quality players even if they are not "studs". My daughter's team has two or three "stud" players yet added three new players during the season who would not be classified as such. Are they solid players? Absoultely. Studs? No way. And this is a team that was runner up for State Cup this year and not a second-tier team. Give it a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And don't believe what the above poster says. He/she has their own agenda whatever that may be.

Comment

Hold it. Time out. I think you can call any coach and have the conversation explaining what the situation is. How the coach responds and whether you son can still try out for any given team at this point may be talent and space limited, but there certainly is a place for your son in club soccer.

You may already know this, but here is the list of clubs in MAPLE with links to their websites where more information is available (http://games.maplesoccer.com/locator.cfm).

Good luck.

Comment

Wrong. This is simply bad info. Coaches are always looking for quality players even if they are not "studs". My daughter's team has two or three "stud" players yet added three new players during the season who would not be classified as such. Are they solid players? Absoultely. Studs? No way. And this is a team that was runner up for State Cup this year and not a second-tier team. Give it a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And don't believe what the above poster says. He/she has their own agenda whatever that may be.
                    The fact of the matter is that while there are positions out there you are dreaming if you think the ones that are really open are on good teams or with really good coaches. Yes coaches leave spots open on their roster but at this point most of them are looking for kids that can improve the team not projects that they have to develop. They already will have grabbed their quota of projects during tryouts. You need to factor in also that people do know who the good coaches are and there is usually demand for the spots on their teams. It is not so easy to just walk on to any team you want and the worst experience people usually have in this environment is when they get involved with a lackluster team/coach. Those situations seldom if ever work out favorably. So I say again unless your son is a stud you are just wasting your time and money. Wait until next year and pick the team you want as opposed to letting fate distate things this year.

Comment

The fact of the matter is that while there are positions out there you are dreaming if you think the ones that are really open are on good teams or with really good coaches. Yes coaches leave spots open on their roster but at this point most of them are looking for kids that can improve the team not projects that they have to develop. They already will have grabbed their quota of projects during tryouts. You need to factor in also that people do know who the good coaches are and there is usually demand for the spots on their teams. It is not so easy to just walk on to any team you want and the worst experience people usually have in this environment is when they get involved with a lackluster team/coach. Those situations seldom if ever work out favorably. So I say again unless your son is a stud you are just wasting your time and money. Wait until next year and pick the team you want as opposed to letting fate distate things this year.
                      A couple of other posters beat me to it, but since you are sticking to your guns, I will repeat what they said. You simply do not know what you are talking about. My son plays for one of the top teams and they always leave a couple of slots open, and those spots are NOT reserved for "studs." They have taken additional players during the summer that were at the top of the roster, the middle of the roster and the bottom of the roster.

Comment

A couple of other posters beat me to it, but since you are sticking to your guns, I will repeat what they said. You simply do not know what you are talking about. My son plays for one of the top teams and they always leave a couple of slots open, and those spots are NOT reserved for "studs." They have taken additional players during the summer that were at the top of the roster, the middle of the roster and the bottom of the roster.
                        Thank you. I'm the thread starter and my son would be happy to hear this.
                        Of course my son is mature enough to understand that it will be hard for him to get a roster on a top team but I'm happy that at least he's trying and that's all that matters to me.

He's already set up backups incase he doesn't make the top team on his mind.

Comment

Thank you. I'm the thread starter and my son would be happy to hear this.
                          Of course my son is mature enough to understand that it will be hard for him to get a roster on a top team but I'm happy that at least he's trying and that's all that matters to me.

He's already set up backups incase he doesn't make the top team on his mind.
                          I concur with the other posters. Tell your son to stick with it. My son also plays on a top team and we added 3 players (1 top, 1 middle, 1 bottom/project) at the mid-season mark. The negative poster must have had a bad experience but I think what you're seeing her is more examples of those who saw after try-out additions so I'd say the odds are in your favor.

Comment

I concur with the other posters. Tell your son to stick with it. My son also plays on a top team and we added 3 players (1 top, 1 middle, 1 bottom/project) at the mid-season mark. The negative poster must have had a bad experience but I think what you're seeing her is more examples of those who saw after try-out additions so I'd say the odds are in your favor.
                            Must be the difference between the boys and girls clubs. There is just no way you are going to make a top team in the Stars organization after tryouts unless your child can really play or obviously has tremendous potential. Yes your child might be able to make one of their "b" or "c" teams but that will be a very different experience from being on the top team. On the girls side those level teams are never really stable because unless they succeed they typically fold and unless the players on them are capable of moving up they get pushed further and further away from the quality clubs to the mom and pops.

Comment

Must be the difference between the boys and girls clubs. There is just no way you are going to make a top team in the Stars organization after tryouts unless your child can really play or obviously has tremendous potential. Yes your child might be able to make one of their "b" or "c" teams but that will be a very different experience from being on the top team. On the girls side those level teams are never really stable because unless they succeed they typically fold and unless the players on them are capable of moving up they get pushed further and further away from the quality clubs to the mom and pops.
                              Wow. Then it is good fortune this poster is a male because god forbid he were a female and could not make the tryout date for the Stars top team because obviously then this players soccer experience would be so aweful and embarassing because he wasn't on the Stars top team. Unbelievable hubris. As someone who has had two children go through the Club ranks with a "mom and pop" Club and both were highly recruited and were fortunate to receive significant soccer athletic scholarship $$$ it is amazing they did so without being exposed to the Stars. Good luck to this boy. Call the coaches and try to get a tryout. Keep working hard and believe in yourself. You do not have to be on the #1 team/club, whoever that may be, to have a very enjoyable, rewarding Club soccer experience. You can even do that a a "mom and pop" club.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X