Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think the poster was just saying it would be nice to see the best 2 teams in the final. FF was actually a 5-seed. They finished 4th in R3PLE, but only receive 4 points for it. They need to take away points from FSPL, or amplify the points for R3PLE.

PV lost a lot of players to ECNL the year before, and I doubt they will even have a non-ECNL competitive team this year. We'll see.
    The best two teams were in the finals. This is a tournament so there are going to be winners and some losers and a few surprises. FKK was unseeded but made it to the semifinals. I don't like them much on a personal level but great for them because it showed anyone can make it to the semifinals with some skill, hard work and a bit of luck and FKK earned their spot into the semifinals. No one gave it to them. Everyone would probably agree a final with all the suspense that is tied 1-1 after regulation and the winning team wins on a spectacular goal in OT would have been a much better final but it didn't happen that way. TBU won and congrats to them for a great season though I'm sure someone will say they didn't win the world youth soccer championship so they didn't have a great season or something like that.

Comment

The best two teams were in the finals. This is a tournament so there are going to be winners and some losers and a few surprises. FKK was unseeded but made it to the semifinals. I don't like them much on a personal level but great for them because it showed anyone can make it to the semifinals with some skill, hard work and a bit of luck and FKK earned their spot into the semifinals. No one gave it to them. Everyone would probably agree a final with all the suspense that is tied 1-1 after regulation and the winning team wins on a spectacular goal in OT would have been a much better final but it didn't happen that way. TBU won and congrats to them for a great season though I'm sure someone will say they didn't win the world youth soccer championship so they didn't have a great season or something like that.
      I completely agree. No matter who was in the final, TBU was the best team this year and proved it. I would also agree FF was probably the 2nd best team, as a previous poster said, but really what does it matter if you didn't win State Cup? I think 3 or 4 teams, including FF, are all pretty comparable.

Hopefully everyone is gearing up for the girls final season, and us parents can take a deep breath to just enjoy watching our daughters play 1 more year before college.

Comment

We find this amusing that people think gotsoccer rankings should play a role in state cup for seeding. Seeding is based on previous year finish, league play in all USYS leagues. It has nothing to do where a team is on gotsoccer. Ponte Vedra was the 2 time defending champion & participated in National League-SPL-RPLEast. The points they received from National League & SPL put them as a higher seed than FF. Teams in FSPL get points as do teams that participate in other USYS leagues. FF got points in their league but it wasn't enough to put them higher than 4th. So a team should be placed higher because of gotsoccer? Not the case & I defend what the state uses to seed teams for state cup. Previous year finish has to matter & leagues you play in should also matter. Not getting points at Jefferson Cup in a 3 game showcase where you never play in a semi or final but yet are awarded as the champion. Come on people. Get off the rankings
        spot on - nice to see someone looks past the GotSoccer rankings and realizes how the process works. It's truly the fairest way about it.

Comment

spot on - nice to see someone looks past the GotSoccer rankings and realizes how the process works. It's truly the fairest way about it.
          this is my post - I chimed in before reading the remaining posts..my bad. All were very good perspectives on the seeding approach, but we all know FYSA is not going to make a huge effort to make it solidly fair. They will always be biased to their own league (and it's their right, but it really deters from the true top talent of the state).
          Just really wanted to say 'GREAT DISCUSSION' without the bashing!!! It can be achieved on TS :) ... now if the people posting to the BU ECNL thread could do the same, it would be a great Friday! (I'm not a BU parent, but starting to feel bad for them... going to be a long season).

Comment

this is my post - I chimed in before reading the remaining posts..my bad. All were very good perspectives on the seeding approach, but we all know FYSA is not going to make a huge effort to make it solidly fair. They will always be biased to their own league (and it's their right, but it really deters from the true top talent of the state).
            Just really wanted to say 'GREAT DISCUSSION' without the bashing!!! It can be achieved on TS :) ... now if the people posting to the BU ECNL thread could do the same, it would be a great Friday! (I'm not a BU parent, but starting to feel bad for them... going to be a long season).
            Spot on. This age group was very competitive last year and we know that it will be strong as U18, but expect the number of teams to drop off. stay positive; the girls will need to work hard this year as well, they all want to show they can be starters and getting some good exposure as U18 is going to be important still. Keep working this summer! Continue with fun soccer if your teams have nothing extra in the works, and in your free time do some reading! I know it is corny but kids wants to drop all academics once summer comes so find some fun reading... it will keep their brains working and they might learn along the way too!

Lastly, GO USA - WNT !!!

Comment

It is not the actual rankings by GS. That's not it, but they should seed teams differently. First, they need to include ALL teams in the seeding (that have applied and been accepted). All florida teams that play in a league in Florida should get seeding (this excludes no florida teams). Now you only get to list one league that you play in and everyone agrees you'd list your league that will give you the most seeding points (if you even play in more than one leagues, many do). And I don't think it would be difficult to then rank those leagues in order. Giving points from most competitive, to least competitive, but every team gets theirs. Then, how well did your team do in that league? Champion, 2nd, 3rd, etc. easy. highest points for champ, then down it goes. Might need a cap at some point because not everyone should be getting points here. Honestly, if you aren't a finisher (1,2,3,) not sure you should points beyond that. Would a simple system like this be so difficult to implement?
              I guess I agree, but the problem you're going to run in to is how do you rank points between NPL, RPL, FSPL, and local leagues? Should a 7th place finisher in RPL, overall, receive more points than a 3rd place finisher in FSPL? Either way, you are going to frustrate people because there are so many leagues that are offered, it's hard to judge.

The seeding points truly don't matter to the top teams. I think what side of the bracket you are on matters more.

Comment

I guess I agree, but the problem you're going to run in to is how do you rank points between NPL, RPL, FSPL, and local leagues? Should a 7th place finisher in RPL, overall, receive more points than a 3rd place finisher in FSPL? Either way, you are going to frustrate people because there are so many leagues that are offered, it's hard to judge.

The seeding points truly don't matter to the top teams. I think what side of the bracket you are on matters more.
                With the Women's World Cup happening now, and in thinking about the biggest competition event we see world-wide, the Olympics, I just don't see why we have seeding at all. You play qualifiers to get to a certain point of acceptance/win so you can even Play in the event, which should be no different than our SC. Everyone should start from the same place. Does anyone else get a Bye and get the luxuary of starting later in these events? While others have to start at another, earlier, starting point to make their way up to the next round of contenders?

Comment

With the Women's World Cup happening now, and in thinking about the biggest competition event we see world-wide, the Olympics, I just don't see why we have seeding at all. You play qualifiers to get to a certain point of acceptance/win so you can even Play in the event, which should be no different than our SC. Everyone should start from the same place. Does anyone else get a Bye and get the luxuary of starting later in these events? While others have to start at another, earlier, starting point to make their way up to the next round of contenders?
                  They still have seeding in World Cup dummy. The top 8 teams are seeded so they don't have to be in the same group.

Comment

They still have seeding in World Cup dummy. The top 8 teams are seeded so they don't have to be in the same group.
                    Ok, dummie, the point was they all have the same starting point. No one gets to sit back and watch the others play until half are knocked out, then the seeded teams start, which is how FYSA runs our SC. I don't really have a problem with seeding to avoid best teams all in same brackets. That is why the earlier poster talked about getting seeding for top teams (in what ever league they play). But everyone starts at the same point. You do want to avoid watching Germany, USA, Japan in same group in early round. Those 8 have seeding because of what they previously did in last WC, correct? Why can't the seeding be as simple as that for FYSA's SC?

Comment

FSPL applied teams look decent.

Comment

Ok, dummie, the point was they all have the same starting point. No one gets to sit back and watch the others play until half are knocked out, then the seeded teams start, which is how FYSA runs our SC. I don't really have a problem with seeding to avoid best teams all in same brackets. That is why the earlier poster talked about getting seeding for top teams (in what ever league they play). But everyone starts at the same point. You do want to avoid watching Germany, USA, Japan in same group in early round. Those 8 have seeding because of what they previously did in last WC, correct? Why can't the seeding be as simple as that for FYSA's SC?
                        Thank goodness I realized you were talking about Women's World Cup!

No, they are seeded based on FIFA rankings and then split up in different groups. If. The top 8 teams qualify for World Cup, those are your top 8 teams in order. If not, if goes next one down the list to be seeded. Then after that they try to differentiate between regions.

Pretty much our old system of ranking was how they do it. Not sure why it changed. Probably to glorify their own league FSPL.

Comment

Thank goodness I realized you were talking about Women's World Cup!

No, they are seeded based on FIFA rankings and then split up in different groups. If. The top 8 teams qualify for World Cup, those are your top 8 teams in order. If not, if goes next one down the list to be seeded. Then after that they try to differentiate between regions.

Pretty much our old system of ranking was how they do it. Not sure why it changed. Probably to glorify their own league FSPL.
                          Exactly and call it was it really is: the FYSA State Cup

Comment

I completely agree. No matter who was in the final, TBU was the best team this year and proved it. I would also agree FF was probably the 2nd best team, as a previous poster said, but really what does it matter if you didn't win State Cup? I think 3 or 4 teams, including FF, are all pretty comparable.

Hopefully everyone is gearing up for the girls final season, and us parents can take a deep breath to just enjoy watching our daughters play 1 more year before college.

Just saw the draw for regionals and FF got in? Not sure how that came about but they ended up in the same bracket TBU. Out of 16 teams, the 2 FL teams have to face each other early. That's unfortunate but good luck to both teams!

Comment

Just saw the draw for regionals and FF got in? Not sure how that came about but they ended up in the same bracket TBU. Out of 16 teams, the 2 FL teams have to face each other early. That's unfortunate but good luck to both teams!
                              Was looking at the GS rankings for this group, and saw Port Orange sitting at #6. Who is this? Looking at their team is says they were quarter-finalist at state cup? was this a result of a merger? anyone know?

Comment

Was looking at the GS rankings for this group, and saw Port Orange sitting at #6. Who is this? Looking at their team is says they were quarter-finalist at state cup? was this a result of a merger? anyone know?
                                This is Port Orange's current U-18 team (rising U19). "U-18" may is a place holder for some clubs so the registrar does not have to input the new team name every year. Not a problem for smaller clubs but for larger clubs it's a pain in the ass to change 40-50 teams every year.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X