Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Club in Grand Rapids for Girls

What is the best club in Grand Rapids for girls soccer?

There is no "best" club.

More specifically, what constitutes the "best" club depends on the individual factors affecting the player and their family -- and those differ greatly between players, and for the same player depending on their age, ability and interests/goals.

Some specifics might help in answering -- (a) age (b) current level of play (c) location/ability and willingness to travel for practice (d) budget limits. As might imagine, finding a team for a 9 year old trying club soccer for the first time will entail looking at different factors than considering where a kid who is a high level player and is moving into the area might want to look.

In my view the focus really should be less on the club and more on the coach and playing situation for your kid. Good clubs can have some not so good coaches, and some clubs that might be considered average can have some very good coaches. The starting points, however, are family soccer budget in time and money. The big thing with the time is practice location. Practices are going to be 90 minutes plus 15 minutes either side for warmups and socialization. But, if it takes 30 minuets to get to the practice field that really makes it a 3 hour kid and parent commitment (until the kid drives).

Comment

Alliance has the best boys teams/coaches. Crew is better for girls. If your kid is any good then you probably want to go to Livonia and play for the Hawks/Wolves.

Comment

Do you think Grand Rapids will ever get in ECNL? Crew might be getting close. Alliance only has one god girl team. Crew seems more consistent across the board.

Comment

The quick short answer is "no". There are other areas for expansion IF there was sufficient club interest.

ECNL is an easy $10K per year in the midwest because of the travel costs. You need a major metro area to be able to find that number of kids/parents with the soccer ability, time and funding to make that leap.

Even before the ECNL, the Hawks and Vardar were clubs where u14 and up teams were doing the major tournaments year after year. They had the proven ability to be able to kids and families that met those requirements. Even still -- it is an issue at lots of ECNL clubs to maintain roster numbers once kids commit to colleges at say u17 (or younger).

Comment

ECNL rocks! Too bad GR is so insignificant. All the good players leave to the Hawks and endure the long drive rather than play in the sticks with the hicks.

Comment

ECNL rocks??? I think you need to be at least 13 to post

Comment

Although the Hawkes/Wolves have the reputation, there are plenty of good clubs in the Livonia area. We have the Jags and Waza that are both very good clubs.

Comment

There are quality teams at either Crew or Alliance depending on age and gender. I think you could argue U16G and U12G are better at Alliance but Crew has the best teams at all of the other ages. On the boys side it's a tossup at U17, but Alliance has the better boys teams at U14 and U15. Crew may have the better teams at the other ages. At either club there are some very high level National League teams. Just need to do a little homework.

Comment

West Side Clubs

I think Alliance is over rated. Crew has some good teams with some good coaches but many teams that are just OK. Fire has some good teams also U14Boys, U13 Boys, and U11 Girls seem to be their best but I am sure they have more. Also a few small clubs in the area that might have a good team at your age group.

Comment

Best in GR

u12 Girls - Alliance
                      u13 Girls - Crew
                      u14 Girls - Crew
                      u15 Girls - Crew / Alliance
                      u16 Girls - Alliance
                      u17 Girls - Crew

u12 Boys - Crew / Alliance
                      u13 Boys - Crew
                      u14 Boys - Alliance
                      u15 Boys - Alliance
                      u16 Boys - Crew / Alliance
                      u17 Boys - Alliance / Crew

There you have it. Seems pretty even to me.

Comment

Best Club in GR

CREW soon to be Midwest United FC gives the most options. Alliance has some good coaches and one coach i wouldn't let my daughter around....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X