Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aren't Coaches supposed to teach game play @practice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    OP here...Nice, again great feedback. My girl's club team had their 1st game together this Sept & it seemed ugly, just as was experienced by previous post. And only 4 or 5 games into season there is very noticable improvement, with 2-3 practices a week as well. I think most of D's team parents, including us, do not question coaches about approach with respect to practice, but I'm betting many parents, again including us, are just wondering why the lack of game lessons. These posts here are very helpful & we'll mention this info to rest of parents. It may ease some anxiety! Lol
    “Do not question coaches” but we all know you will.
    Are you badged, have you played?

Why “coaches”? More than one?

Comment

We have not questioned coaches. Club has a long history & experienced. And yes more than one coach, especially with practices as well

Comment

It sounds like you got lucky and found a good coach. Having raised 3 kids through club soccer (2 playing in college), I think you’re fortunate if your coach is building technical skill over tactical skill at U11. The key to playing fast and handling pressure at the older ages is to have terrific skill throughout the team - not just in a couple of midfielders. I think too many coaches get a couple of skilled midfielders, pair them with a run-all-day sprinter at forward and 2 big clearing machines at center back and then press the “win now” button. They win a lot until other athletic teams show up and put pressure on them. When that happens, tactics and formation only get the coach so far, and the winning slows waaay down.

If your daughter is playing lots of little 3v3 and 4v4 games and learning to use space and angles and master the ball in traffic, you’re way ahead of the game.
        You just described the FSA team we played to a t

Comment

In my experience with multiple kids at multiple clubs and town rec soccer over 10 years...

Town rec = more game play/scrimmages at practice. Less intensive skills development. A function of the volunteer coaches, limited time, etc.

Club soccer = 1 practice/week focused almost exclusively on individual small group skills, dribbling, passing, ball touches, 1v1 and 2v2 stuff. Then 1 practice/week focused on group play and team concepts with small sides "games". Should be very few full field/full side scrimmages at practice throughout the season at private club soccer. Coaches should be tailoring the team practice based on what they see in games on a week-to-week basis to reinforce and build team play concepts.

Probably much more skills work at younger ages with shift to more team based concepts as they get older. At U10 U11 there should be much more skills development going on vs team concepts. I'd say 70/30. At U13 and above it probably shifts the other way.

Again, just my experience.

Comment

I've been around dozens and dozens of coaches over the last 20 years. It's pretty easy to determine quickly whether a coach is challenging players sufficiently and in an age-appropriate way ***AND*** more concerned with individual development or the team's result. Too many coaches worry about the latter more than the former at too early an age in every environment, town and club, because that's what too many parents care about.

Comment

In my experience with multiple kids at multiple clubs and town rec soccer over 10 years...

Town rec = more game play/scrimmages at practice. Less intensive skills development. A function of the volunteer coaches, limited time, etc.

Club soccer = 1 practice/week focused almost exclusively on individual small group skills, dribbling, passing, ball touches, 1v1 and 2v2 stuff. Then 1 practice/week focused on group play and team concepts with small sides "games". Should be very few full field/full side scrimmages at practice throughout the season at private club soccer. Coaches should be tailoring the team practice based on what they see in games on a week-to-week basis to reinforce and build team play concepts.

Probably much more skills work at younger ages with shift to more team based concepts as they get older. At U10 U11 there should be much more skills development going on vs team concepts. I'd say 70/30. At U13 and above it probably shifts the other way.

Again, just my experience.
              And one more thing. You should start to notice improvement in team play by end of season and certainly by spring season. Unless your looking at video of past games, this can be tough to judge. Agree with others about don't be so W and L obsessed at this age. It can be difficult especially with the $ being shelled out for club soccer. Is your kid having fun? Do you see development and progress and skills with your own child? Those should be the measuring sticks at this age not win %.

Comment

I've been around dozens and dozens of coaches over the last 20 years. It's pretty easy to determine quickly whether a coach is challenging players sufficiently and in an age-appropriate way ***AND*** more concerned with individual development or the team's result. Too many coaches worry about the latter more than the former at too early an age in every environment, town and club, because that's what too many parents care about.
                Results are fueled by club directors, parents, coaches ego etc and it is a direct conflict with player development. Unfortunately winning is good for business in club soccer. Everyone wants to be associated with the perceived best club, whereas there are many dedicated coaches within less reputable programs.

You'd hope that the lure of a cheap medal, plastic trophy or illusive NEP title would wear off but the shortsightedness of the culture won't allow it to so.

Comment

OP here, D has CERTAINLY advanced in her 1st year @club. Her whole team has improved much in their game play. My thoughts & concerns are not really the Ws but the obvious lack of team game tactics @practice. Other than VERY few scrimmages, the focus is more on skills, which we understand really should be the focus at U11. However shouldn't there be more education concerning game play?

Comment

Results are fueled by club directors, parents, coaches ego etc and it is a direct conflict with player development. Unfortunately winning is good for business in club soccer. Everyone wants to be associated with the perceived best club, whereas there are many dedicated coaches within less reputable programs.

You'd hope that the lure of a cheap medal, plastic trophy or illusive NEP title would wear off but the shortsightedness of the culture won't allow it to so.
                    Well said.

Comment

OP here, D has CERTAINLY advanced in her 1st year @club. Her whole team has improved much in their game play. My thoughts & concerns are not really the Ws but the obvious lack of team game tactics @practice. Other than VERY few scrimmages, the focus is more on skills, which we understand really should be the focus at U11. However shouldn't there be more education concerning game play?
                      Based on your own comments, the obvious answer is no.

I smell a troll.

Comment

Not trolling, it's just so difficult resisting the desire to coach from sideline! Especially when there is very little game play practice that D team does! Whole team is definitely having fun & learning, guess we are just looking at the "cart before the horse" thing with respect to how practices are run. We are happy how things are going, was just curious as to standard routine at most clubs. It seems things are going according to plan then.

Comment

Not trolling, it's just so difficult resisting the desire to coach from sideline! Especially when there is very little game play practice that D team does! Whole team is definitely having fun & learning, guess we are just looking at the "cart before the horse" thing with respect to how practices are run. We are happy how things are going, was just curious as to standard routine at most clubs. It seems things are going according to plan then.
                          Have you played at a legitimate level?

If not, do everyone a favor and 🤐

Comment

As a paying customer, there is nothing wrong with asking the coach or DOC some questions about their development philosophy and where team concepts fit in.

Just curious is the coach loudly verbal from the sidelines during games. Telling kids where to move and position themselves? If verbal is it constant through out the game or only select moments?

Comment

Too early for much tactics, but the coach should be laying that out pretty clearly. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Comment

As a paying customer, there is nothing wrong with asking the coach or DOC some questions about their development philosophy and where team concepts fit in.

Just curious is the coach loudly verbal from the sidelines during games. Telling kids where to move and position themselves? If verbal is it constant through out the game or only select moments?
                                Do me a favor. Read "Coaching Outside the Box: Changing the Mindset in Youth Soccer" and then give it to another parent who you think will appreciate it and tell them how much you valued reading it. No joke, you'll thank me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0615700128..._zdZ8zbP4T88ST

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X