Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Most parents have no clue how difficult it is to make a roster, let alone play on a top D1 team. The competition is intense. And with earlier and earlier recruiting, coaches are replacing you before you even step on campus. Previous accolades and att-a-boys might get a player a bit longer look, but coaches quickly make up their own mind whether a player is good enough and fits their system. Best be on the correct side of this decision, else it can be a tough 4 years.
    All very true - many underestimate the difficulty in playing four meaningful years in college. However, in the case of JR he was injured most of the year. Even uninjured top players don't get loads of PT freshmen year. It all depends on who else is on the roster. It doesn't necessarily mean the other three years will be a bust; in fact many go on to have successful rides in college. However, if by the end of sophomore year season you're not getting much PT then there's a real issue.

Comment

Sure. You post his lack of minutes (but leave out the fact that it was likely due to him only recently returning from an injury) but 'hope that works out for him'.

Go away bitter clown.
      Alright, dad.

Comment

I do know and also know that if this National team level player would be a starter and impact player immediately for nearly any Div 1 team in New England. He has chosen to take it up a notch. Hope that works out for him.
        Here's a few thoughts: Maybe he wanted a bigger challenge (face it, D1 around here is pretty lame). Maybe he loves the school (crazy right, going to school he really likes?). Maybe his injury had something to do with his lack of PT this year? (couldn't be right?)

Comment

Alright, dad.
          Wouldn't know the kid if I tripped over him.

Now crawl back into your sewer of a life.

Comment

Here's a few thoughts: Maybe he wanted a bigger challenge (face it, D1 around here is pretty lame). Maybe he loves the school (crazy right, going to school he really likes?). Maybe his injury had something to do with his lack of PT this year? (couldn't be right?)
            1) Agreed that Indiana is National Caliber and New England are not.

2) Indiana as a Midwest state school is pretty non descript. Surprised if that is a reason. Probably needed to make sure not a negative.

3) Injury makes sense, although sometimes injured players fall off the radar at a school like that one.

4) Surprised they didn't RS him after missing most of the season. Was it his choice or did they not want to buy into 5 years of scholarship?

5) In a highly competitive situation, coaches tend to go with the kids they have a long history with. That is why New England kids do better locally IMO. Many of the coaches had them in Club. I am familiar with Indiana soccer and there is quite a lot going on out there. Carmel, Indy 11, etc. Hope he has a good sponsor. I sincerely wish him well. I have seen him play and he deserves a great college career and a shot at the pros.

Comment

1) Agreed that Indiana is National Caliber and New England are not.

2) Indiana as a Midwest state school is pretty non descript. Surprised if that is a reason. Probably needed to make sure not a negative.

3) Injury makes sense, although sometimes injured players fall off the radar at a school like that one.

4) Surprised they didn't RS him after missing most of the season. Was it his choice or did they not want to buy into 5 years of scholarship?

5) In a highly competitive situation, coaches tend to go with the kids they have a long history with. That is why New England kids do better locally IMO. Many of the coaches had them in Club. I am familiar with Indiana soccer and there is quite a lot going on out there. Carmel, Indy 11, etc. Hope he has a good sponsor. I sincerely wish him well. I have seen him play and he deserves a great college career and a shot at the pros.
              The school is gaining in popularity and has an excellent business program. No telling why a student likes one school over the other, or maybe the coach/teammates in this case.

I could be wrong but don't you have to RS someone before the season starts? If he was injured just part way into the season maybe it was too late? again, I don't know how it works.

Comment

The school is gaining in popularity and has an excellent business program. No telling why a student likes one school over the other, or maybe the coach/teammates in this case.

I could be wrong but don't you have to RS someone before the season starts? If he was injured just part way into the season maybe it was too late? again, I don't know how it works.
                You are correct generally but you can get a medical redshirt if you have played about 6 games or less.

Comment

You are correct generally but you can get a medical redshirt if you have played about 6 games or less.
                  thanks I didn't know that. Sometimes you can learn useful s*it on TS.

Comment

thanks I didn't know that. Sometimes you can learn useful s*it on TS.
                    Needle in a haystack....

Comment

JR was injured during one of the last games this past summer playing for the Bolts PDL team. It was some sort of foot injury and these are not easy to deal with. Unfortunately he probably showed up at IU unable to play and he might now be at a point where he is ready to go. They could have redshirted him but he might be able to help them win a title this year too. His lack of minutes this year was entirely injury related and likely will not impact his future at this school.

Comment

JR was injured during one of the last games this past summer playing for the Bolts PDL team. It was some sort of foot injury and these are not easy to deal with. Unfortunately he probably showed up at IU unable to play and he might now be at a point where he is ready to go. They could have redshirted him but he might be able to help them win a title this year too. His lack of minutes this year was entirely injury related and likely will not impact his future at this school.
                        Saw him play on Bolts PDL this past summer. Easily one of the best talents we have produced in some time. Excellent player. Bright future.

Comment

Saw him play on Bolts PDL this past summer. Easily one of the best talents we have produced in some time. Excellent player. Bright future.
                          I gotta see this kid play. Son played with/against him back in the day and he was so forgettable. I guess all the training he's been exposed to has paid off.

Comment

I gotta see this kid play. Son played with/against him back in the day and he was so forgettable. I guess all the training he's been exposed to has paid off.
                            Maybe you should become a talent scout. Clearly you are an expert.

Comment

Maybe you should become a talent scout. Clearly you are an expert.
                              I would, except there's too much nepotism in this country. None of my picks would be able to scrape by since they'd only have talent.

Comment

I would, except there's too much nepotism in this country. None of my picks would be able to scrape by since they'd only have talent.
                                Let me guess - your kid was overlooked because of politics? Sure he was.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X