Girls DA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are current coaching incentives for an ECNL coach? Are they the same for a GDA coach? If so, little will change.

The real issue is there are very few secure coaches who see their job as player development. Its mostly insecure coaches working at big clubs who are either paid by the player and/or incentivized to win as many games in as short a time as possible by any means necessary.

When you look at a club, what attracts you? The majority of parents look at wins and losses. That is what is being marketed. Sure, some look at commitments etc, but its W/L first.

Its a bit like baseball old vs sabermetrics. Until people start looking at statistics that actually define a club, nothing will really change.

My kid is doing DA, but thats becasue she is not interested in HS and trains yr round anyways, but I dont have high hopes that the mentality of girls youth soccer will change much. Too many people fighting over too much money.

USSF need to find a way to financially reward Clubs for player development. eg after a certain number of YNT caps/camps , DA is free. USSF pay the Club

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I don't think 95% of these girls playing on GDA are doing it with misguided dreams of NT call-ups. For Breakers teams, it's simply the chance to play on the "top" team of the pyramid regardless of whatever league they play in, and to continue to play with their soccer peer group they have played with for years (for many that started in NPL, then ECNL, and now GDA). And over at Stars, the girls getting cut from, or not making ECNL, would rather have the prestige of playing GDA than the old option of Northeast NPL. Bottom line, is that the kids are not playing in these leagues for the league. They want to play for top team whatever it plays, and stay with as many of their current teammates as possible.
      Purely hypothetical, but if there are 20 elite players in an area serving 2 top leagues of 10 teams. is the league with 15 of those players but only say 30pct of theplayers in the next tier, better?

Or are you calling it top of the pyramid becasue USSF says so ?

Im just interested to know how you define top or what makes a league top.

Comment

Purely hypothetical, but if there are 20 elite players in an area serving 2 top leagues of 10 teams. is the league with 15 of those players but only say 30pct of theplayers in the next tier, better?

Or are you calling it top of the pyramid becasue USSF says so ?

Im just interested to know how you define top or what makes a league top.
        Top team is defined by each club and where they seek to make a roster of their best players who wish to play for them. Each club's pyramid is different with their top teams playing in various different leagues. For some clubs that is DA, for some ECNL, for some New England NPL, and for smaller clubs it might be NEP or NSL. What I am saying is that for most kids, they care less about the league their team plays in, but more about making the top team (or as close to it as they can get to).

Comment

So does anyone know how many top girls are shifting to GDA this year from ECNL teams?

Comment

So does anyone know how many top girls are shifting to GDA this year from ECNL teams?
            Majority of girls from the Breakers ECNL teams (with a few exceptions looking to not give up HS), plus a few in each age group from FCB ECNL teams, and very few from Stars, except those who got cut from their ECNL teams.

Comment

Majority of girls from the Breakers ECNL teams (with a few exceptions looking to not give up HS), plus a few in each age group from FCB ECNL teams, and very few from Stars, except those who got cut from their ECNL teams.
              So no GDA MA team will have better quality players than remaining ECNL teams.

Comment

Im interested in the very few from Stars. It goes back to the point above. it depends on how you define top, but lets call it each teams top 3 players from last year. using that metric I think its misleading to say very few.

I dont think there are more than a few elite players on each team anyway - some have none.

Comment

Top team is defined by each club and where they seek to make a roster of their best players who wish to play for them. Each club's pyramid is different with their top teams playing in various different leagues. For some clubs that is DA, for some ECNL, for some New England NPL, and for smaller clubs it might be NEP or NSL. What I am saying is that for most kids, they care less about the league their team plays in, but more about making the top team (or as close to it as they can get to).
                  I dont fully agree with this. A top team needs competition of similar level or the pyramid really is not the top. You cant make it a Club only criteria, it has to include the league they play in.

Comment

Like players, coaches can also improve and learn. I realize I will probably get bashed for this comment, but I really hope this is the case with some. Posters may be accurate that it is the same old coaches, but hopefully they are also continuing to grow and in turn have better training sessions etc etc. it's too early in the season, but I am very inretested in seeing what the training sessions are like.
                    An audit of BDA coaches done several years starting found that most still.didn't have the required licensure. GDA coaches will have a grandfather period so no not much will change for awhile

Comment

I dont fully agree with this. A top team needs competition of similar level or the pyramid really is not the top. You cant make it a Club only criteria, it has to include the league they play in.
                      There is nothing to agree with? It's a fact that clubs have their top teams in all different leagues from NSL all the way up to DA/ECNL. Now of course, most of the cream rises QUICKLY to the top of each club, and then if that is not strong enough, to the clubs with top teams in stronger leagues.

Comment

There is nothing to agree with? It's a fact that clubs have their top teams in all different leagues from NSL all the way up to DA/ECNL. Now of course, most of the cream rises QUICKLY to the top of each club, and then if that is not strong enough, to the clubs with top teams in stronger leagues.
                        You cant just say ...that is the so called top league so that is where my player should go. Every family has to consider location, specific coach, costs, travel, etc. If you have a clear and easy answer to where is the best spot for your player, consider yourself lucky.

Comment

You cant just say ...that is the so called top league so that is where my player should go. Every family has to consider location, specific coach, costs, travel, etc. If you have a clear and easy answer to where is the best spot for your player, consider yourself lucky.
                          I never said that all the best players play for a top club team or in the top leagues. But a majority do. Of course there are a lot of reasons players choose to stay on a lower team or secondary league, and I think that point has been made abundantly clear over and over. The discussion was about whether top players are choosing to play GDA because of the so-called promise of NT call-ups. I called BS on that premise altogether citing totally different reasons why players are playing GDA (ie: simply playing for the "top team" in the Breakers organization, and staying with a majority of the current team and soccer peer group being much more of a reason).

Comment

I wonder how many will think back fondly of their skill practice on a Friday night when they're 25 and working a regular job.
                            If the kid doesn't love being there they shouldn't be doing DA. Probably shouldn't be playing club either.

Comment

I don't think 95% of these girls playing on GDA are doing it with misguided dreams of NT call-ups. For Breakers teams, it's simply the chance to play on the "top" team of the pyramid regardless of whatever league they play in, and to continue to play with their soccer peer group they have played with for years (for many that started in NPL, then ECNL, and now GDA). And over at Stars, the girls getting cut from, or not making ECNL, would rather have the prestige of playing GDA than the old option of Northeast NPL. Bottom line, is that the kids are not playing in these leagues for the league. They want to play for top team whatever it plays, and stay with as many of their current teammates as possible.
                              I think you are seriously underestimating the % of players (and parents) that are misguided. From what I've heard it's the other way around. There are plenty of players and parents that believe their GDA kid is now on a direct path to the NT. Bought the propaganda hook line and sinker. The fact is that they are no closer to the NT than they were when they were playing ECNL.

Comment

I think you are seriously underestimating the % of players (and parents) that are misguided. From what I've heard it's the other way around. There are plenty of players and parents that believe their GDA kid is now on a direct path to the NT. Bought the propaganda hook line and sinker. The fact is that they are no closer to the NT than they were when they were playing ECNL.
                                Not a GDA participant, but that SEEMS outrageous (I understand I am not speaking from a position of direct knowledge). But, someone do the math for me: How many GDA teams are there? X how many players? To fit into one National Team?

From a pure math perspective, numbers don't work.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X