Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Would St. Marks, Lawrence and Middlesex also be seen in the same context as Groton, St. Pauls, RL and Milton?

In other words if one gets into any one of the above schools, is the education top-notch? Or do these schools have better soccer programs but are not as academically strong? That said, if an academically strong student-athlete (A's few B's, soccer) picks one of these schools (St. Marks, Lawrence or Middlesex) would they still get a top notch education if they're willing to work hard?
    they are all a notch below groton, SPS, RL, and Milton, however each school has it's own individual strength and you will get a very good education at any one of these schools

Comment

Agreed. You can get a great education at any of these schools. Comparatively speaking, Middlesex is close to the group above academically. St. Marks a solid step below these schools and Lawrence a less academic school than the rest of the schools mentioned.

Comment

Groton, St Paul's, RL, and Milton are all top academic schools in the ISL on par with Andover, Exeter, and Choate. Of these schools, Andover, Exeter, Milton, Choate and RL are the best soccer programs. Groton was bottom of the ISL last year but has had strong teams in some years.

For the record, all of these schools recruit and want to have strong teams. They all also have high standards academically so students with C's or low test scores will not get in to any of them.
        Plenty of academic outliers at those schools. Not just for sports.

Comment

Agreed. You can get a great education at any of these schools. Comparatively speaking, Middlesex is close to the group above academically. St. Marks a solid step below these schools and Lawrence a less academic school than the rest of the schools mentioned.
          Lawrence has been making substantial progress with the new head of school they hired in 2011. I think your analysis is a little dated.

Comment

NMH has a solid combination of academics and soccer. Came in 2nd this year in Class A.

Comment

Best Prep School soccer

In addition to the schools previously listed, there are a few other good teams in ISL league.

Lawrence
              - Won the ISL and Class B championship
              -Poor academically
              -Only a day school

Milton Academy
              -Was undefeated in the ISL and went to the Semis of Class A
              -Excellent Academically
              -Close to the New England Revolution academy team
              -Full Boarding school

Nobles
              -3rd in the ISL, a notch below the schools above
              -Good academically
              -5 day boarding

Hope this helps
              I'm not sure how much this person actually knows. Lawrence Academy is a day/boarding school and has an excellent reputation for academics - oh and their sports team esp. boys soccer is exceptional.

Comment

I'm not sure how much this person actually knows. Lawrence Academy is a day/boarding school and has an excellent reputation for academics - oh and their sports team esp. boys soccer is exceptional.
                I thought Lawrence was the school that got caught cheating with athletic recruiting and scholarships... Aren't they banned from post-season play?

Comment

Lawrence is fine but is not a strong academic school in any way. Most of these top schools send roughly 20-30% of their kids to top tier colleges (Ivy, Stanford, MIT, top Nescacs, etc.). Looking at the Lawrence college list from last year I don't see a single Ivy listed. Compare this to the college list at RL or Groton and it is night and day difference. Lawrence should not be compared with these schools at all. Just a different thing.

http://www.lacademy.edu/page.cfm?p=406

Comment

Wow, Lawrence's star just took a hit in here. One-two punch.

Comment

Lawrence is fine but is not a strong academic school in any way. Most of these top schools send roughly 20-30% of their kids to top tier colleges (Ivy, Stanford, MIT, top Nescacs, etc.). Looking at the Lawrence college list from last year I don't see a single Ivy listed. Compare this to the college list at RL or Groton and it is night and day difference. Lawrence should not be compared with these schools at all. Just a different thing.

http://www.lacademy.edu/page.cfm?p=406
                      They are several top tier schools in that list (Amherst, RPI, BCM) and many good ones. Also, I would choose RPI for Engineering over any ivy league school.

Comment

I thought Lawrence was the school that got caught cheating with athletic recruiting and scholarships... Aren't they banned from post-season play?
                        This was back in 2010. They then got a new head of school and there have been no more shenanigans since.

Comment

They are several top tier schools in that list (Amherst, RPI, BCM) and many good ones. Also, I would choose RPI for Engineering over any ivy league school.
                          Most colleges list the college list based on 4 or 5 years

For example:

http://www.stmarksschool.org/academi...ion/index.aspx

https://www.mxschool.edu/sites/defau...ion%20List.pdf

Lawrence choose to only post one year. which was still an impressive list but it would have looked more impressive if they posted the list based on multiple years.

Comment

Not really. Middlesex had 70 plus kids going to just the ivies over the last 5 years, which means 14 per year on average. That is not including the 100 plus kids going to other top tier schools during this period. These lists and schools are no where near comparable. Stop trying to convince yourself or anyone else that they are.

Comment

Not really. Middlesex had 70 plus kids going to just the ivies over the last 5 years, which means 14 per year on average. That is not including the 100 plus kids going to other top tier schools during this period. These lists and schools are no where near comparable. Stop trying to convince yourself or anyone else that they are.
                              The numbers for ivies do seem lower for Lawrence but it's still a decent academic school. Also, their athletics are in general very strong. I don't see why a smart talented athlete shouldn't pick Lawrence and get into a D1 ivy school if he/she works hard. I don't think one can get that combination at Middlesex.

Comment

The numbers for ivies do seem lower for Lawrence but it's still a decent academic school. Also, their athletics are in general very strong. I don't see why a smart talented athlete shouldn't pick Lawrence and get into a D1 ivy school if he/she works hard. I don't think one can get that combination at Middlesex or one of the other weaker sports schools.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X