Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruits

I hear the program only offers 2 scholarships. If this is the case, how does UMass attract anyone from out of state? How many scholarships does URI or UConn offer? How can this information be verified?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I hear the program only offers 2 scholarships. If this is the case, how does UMass attract anyone from out of state? How many scholarships does URI or UConn offer? How can this information be verified?
      I believe the max for D1 is 8 or 9 full, which can be split between players.

Comment

I believe the max for D1 is 8 or 9 full, which can be split between players.
        What planet are you on? If you don't know the scholarship limits and understand what the implications are of having only 2 scholarships to give, you have no business commenting in this thread.

Comment

What planet are you on? If you don't know the scholarship limits and understand what the implications are of having only 2 scholarships to give, you have no business commenting in this thread.
          Might want to lay off the caffeine for a while

Comment

You must mean 2 per recruiting class, which would mean 8 total spread across all classes. That would be much more reasonable. UMass would be completely uncompetitive if they were only offering 2 total scholarships. (Especially on the men's side. At least on the women's side the likelihood of academic merit aid is higher.)

Comment

UMASS offers a total of 2.5 scholarships that is split between players. The Max scholarship for D1 men's soccer is 9.9.

Comment

2.7 out of state which translates to a bit over 4.5 in state. Not very good

Comment

Clarify Please

So does UMass Men's program offer a total of 2 scholarships to cover all players (in state and out of state) or 2.5 in and 2 out? In either case doesn't the D1 Men's program appear to be lacking in its commitment to the success of the team?

Comment

So does UMass Men's program offer a total of 2 scholarships to cover all players (in state and out of state) or 2.5 in and 2 out? In either case doesn't the D1 Men's program appear to be lacking in its commitment to the success of the team?
                    It's 2.5 TOTAL scholarships for UMass. They use fewer than the permissible 9.9 for gender equity reasons.

Comment

It's 2.5 TOTAL scholarships for UMass. They use fewer than the permissible 9.9 for gender equity reasons.
                      How would anyone even know that information? I would think coaches and schools would not want that to be public knowledge.

If it is true it does say a great deal about the program - or should I say the lack of support for the program. Eight or nine spread across a team is more reasonable; 2.5 won't get you much. Maybe because it is such a good value for in-state players (and relative to many other NE schools it still is for out of state players) they don't have to offer many deals?

Comment

It's not that they don't have to provide more scholarships because the school is a good value for in state players- this is the same for basically any state university in any state. As stated, it's because there are legal requirements for gender equity- Title 9. So to provide more scholarships to mens soccer, they would need to provide more scholarships for womens sports or less to other mens sports. I think it's probably fair to say that the emphasis on building up the football team is not helping mens soccer at UMass.

Comment

They have a total pool of $. The can break that money up and it is 2.7 out of state or they can give it to in state kids and its translates to a bit over 4. This is the information they are providing at interviews.

Comment

2.7 out of state which translates to a bit over 4.5 in state. Not very good
                            I'm not sure that's the way it works. The NCAA rules speak in terms of absolute numbers of scholarships not a set pile of money based on the most expensive (out of state) scholarships.

I believe what happens is that if in-state tuition is $20K and out-of-state tuition is $40k, then giving $20k to the in-state player = one full scholarship and giving $20k to the out-of-state student = 1/2 scholarship. Then you add up the fractional scholarships (not the dollars) to meet the NCAA limit on the number of scholarships given.

Comment

I'm not sure that's the way it works. The NCAA rules speak in terms of absolute numbers of scholarships not a set pile of money based on the most expensive (out of state) scholarships.

I believe what happens is that if in-state tuition is $20K and out-of-state tuition is $40k, then giving $20k to the in-state player = one full scholarship and giving $20k to the out-of-state student = 1/2 scholarship. Then you add up the fractional scholarships (not the dollars) to meet the NCAA limit on the number of scholarships given.
                              That makes more sense given the variability between in-state and out-of-state, along with obvious differences between state school and the privates. I have no idea if you are right of course - just that you make sense

Comment

Any way you look at it, men's soccer is a joke. Maybe they will get a coach that will attract this area's top players. It is a shame how many they have missed.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X