X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    True that
    Wait! Didn't you hear, no college coach recruits defenders. They only recruit forwards and midfielders and turn them into defenders, because those are the most talented players in club. Get them out of the back if you want to be recruited, if I remembered correctly!

Comment

A few years back I watched a Wellesley Girl's u14 team beat a "top" club team at a tourney. The parents were unbelievably p-d off. When the score went to 5-1 they started complaining that the town team was overaged, they were missing their top players, the refs weren't fair blah blah blah. I had no dog in the hunt but watching their angst and distress was worth a million bucks. I have watched Andover town teams do the same thing to top clubs at tourneys as well.
      Nice story. It might be a shame to point out that "'top' club team" is an ambiguous and misleading description. On the girls' side, no "town" team is beating a first or second team from Breakers, NEFC, or Stars by anything close to a score of 5-1--and almost never beating any of those teams at all, especially at U14 (unless the "town" team is heavily stocked with top players from one of those clubs).

Have a look for yourself and report back--and make sure you're watching a first or second team from one of those clubs. Even some upstart clubs (Kings FC?) have little idea the relative level of competition they're dealing with, until the game starts playing out.

Comment

Wait! Didn't you hear, no college coach recruits defenders. They only recruit forwards and midfielders and turn them into defenders, because those are the most talented players in club. Get them out of the back if you want to be recruited, if I remembered correctly!
        You remember somewhat incorrectly. Generally speaking, get them out of the back if you want the player to be recruited with more money.

Comment

You remember somewhat incorrectly. Generally speaking, get them out of the back if you want the player to be recruited with more money.
          If they are playing CB on a top club team, that is absolutely positively not true.

Comment

town soccer- it can work

I really think that 4 out of 100 kids could pull that off. Anyone can pay for, and play for a crappy club team. I can assure you that no town travel player will be making my son's U13 club team any time soon. I coach my town's U14 travel A team. Not one of the kids on my team have the skill to keep up with my son's club team, even though most are older. My son only plays to hang out with his friends. He's the center back for his club team but he's the striker(and leading scorer by far) on the travel team.
            Awesome. Tell me the name of your top club team. I will call your coach and schedule a scrimmage against my boys u14 town team.

And as you watch us beat your "top" club team, please know that none of those players started playing club before u13. They all play club now (NEP, MAPLE D1, D2) having made the jump at u13.

Be careful about dismissing town soccer with a broad stroke, as this thread inquired about the best town soccer programs. That town-based system works when the right resources are deployed in the right environment.

Comment

Nice story. It might be a shame to point out that "'top' club team" is an ambiguous and misleading description. On the girls' side, no "town" team is beating a first or second team from Breakers, NEFC, or Stars by anything close to a score of 5-1--and almost never beating any of those teams at all, especially at U14 (unless the "town" team is heavily stocked with top players from one of those clubs).

Have a look for yourself and report back--and make sure you're watching a first or second team from one of those clubs. Even some upstart clubs (Kings FC?) have little idea the relative level of competition they're dealing with, until the game starts playing out.
              Why are you referring to Kings fc? Especially when referencing girls teams...kings fc girls teams went 33-9-2 in the fall (check the maple site) only record not posted is gu10 who according to the kings fc website finished 8-0-1...thats 2/5 kings fc teams finishing first in maple with 3/5 competing in maple blue. Dumb comment.

Comment

Why are you referring to Kings fc? Especially when referencing girls teams...kings fc girls teams went 33-9-2 in the fall (check the maple site) only record not posted is gu10 who according to the kings fc website finished 8-0-1...thats 2/5 kings fc teams finishing first in maple with 3/5 competing in maple blue. Dumb comment.
                You're making my point--given the comparison teams, not whatever is happening in Maple, where those teams don't play. There was nothing disrespectful towards Kings. But you're welcome to your opinion.

Comment

Awesome. Tell me the name of your top club team. I will call your coach and schedule a scrimmage against my boys u14 town team.

And as you watch us beat your "top" club team, please know that none of those players started playing club before u13. They all play club now (NEP, MAPLE D1, D2) having made the jump at u13.

Be careful about dismissing town soccer with a broad stroke, as this thread inquired about the best town soccer programs. That town-based system works when the right resources are deployed in the right environment.
                  I'm a big believer in what you are saying here but would sadly point out that your teams is probably an anomaly at this point because the typical entry point into club has gotten so much younger with the explosion of academies. You just don't have a lot of kids that wait until they are 13 any longer to make the jump into club. My observation about all of that is all that the expansion of the club level has done is radically run up both the cost and expectations for a minimal improvement in quality. I always come back to the very basic question about why individual people get involved with club soccer in the first place. For the overwhelming majority of people club soccer is complete over kill relative to where they ultimately see their kids going with soccer

Comment

I'm a big believer in what you are saying here but would sadly point out that your teams is probably an anomaly at this point because the typical entry point into club has gotten so much younger with the explosion of academies. You just don't have a lot of kids that wait until they are 13 any longer to make the jump into club. My observation about all of that is all that the expansion of the club level has done is radically run up both the cost and expectations for a minimal improvement in quality. I always come back to the very basic question about why individual people get involved with club soccer in the first place. For the overwhelming majority of people club soccer is complete over kill relative to where they ultimately see their kids going with soccer
                    Thanks buddy. Happy Christmas Eve. Here's hoping you have a day of peace from the abuses of youth sports and the pillaging of our bank accounts. You have set the shining example for all of us via your fiscally conservative approach to spending on athletics and education in your own family.

Comment

Thanks buddy. Happy Christmas Eve. Here's hoping you have a day of peace from the abuses of youth sports and the pillaging of our bank accounts. You have set the shining example for all of us via your fiscally conservative approach to spending on athletics and education in your own family.
                      All this spite, today? As in any sport, or any endeavor for that matter, there are things that the game teaches you, and if you love the sport, you want your child to have the same love of the game and mastery of the ball, and in the context of playing, mastery of the game of the nuances that are subtle beyond just kicking it in the back of the net. Nothing will bring the inner drive to anyone let alone a child to want to do this when no one is looking, or when there are other options like friends, snapchat, instagram, and xbox.

At the same time, the game is a truly a great game to participate in and there should be options for all levels of play. Sportsmanship, camaraderie. Who cares if its town, pickup, indoor, club, DAP, R1, etc. To each his own.

So I would suggest everyone on this site stop being so spiteful, because I would hate to be the dog on the other end of your boot when you get home from a bad day at work, let alone your wife, husband, children, or friends.

There is room enough for everyone to play and find a love for the beautiful game. Everyone.

Comment

What you fail to realize is that certain families are specially special--and so advice that might benefit other families with somewhat talented kids doesn't really apply to these specially special situations. Moreover, since outsiders can't be in a position to evaluate what's going on in these specially special situations, judgment should be reserved as to the quality of outcomes in these cases--even when an outcome would appear truly unimpressive.

Basically, when you net it all down, to do anything other than graciously accept the wisdom and guidance of some self-appointed, TS sage is nothing more than "spite." Know your place, show some respect, and happy holidays.

Comment

What you fail to realize is that certain families are specially special--and so advice that might benefit other families with somewhat talented kids doesn't really apply to these specially special situations. Moreover, since outsiders can't be in a position to evaluate what's going on in these specially special situations, judgment should be reserved as to the quality of outcomes in these cases--even when an outcome would appear truly unimpressive.

Basically, when you net it all down, to do anything other than graciously accept the wisdom and guidance of some self-appointed, TS sage is nothing more than "spite." Know your place, show some respect, and happy holidays.
                          I do enjoy the amount of hate you display. When I'm having a bad day it actually helps me to realize that there are miserable sobs like you out there who are so hung up in their own misery that they can't even fathom an opinion that doesn't tightly align with there own and must spend such inordinate amounts of time searching and stomping them out in order to pacify their internal wounds. That's when I think to myself, it's not that bad, I could be that *******. Merry Christmas troll.

Comment

The funny part is there is probably 4-8 kids of both genders that are "specially special"

Comment

I do enjoy the amount of hate you display. When I'm having a bad day it actually helps me to realize that there are miserable sobs like you out there who are so hung up in their own misery that they can't even fathom an opinion that doesn't tightly align with there own and must spend such inordinate amounts of time searching and stomping them out in order to pacify their internal wounds. That's when I think to myself, it's not that bad, I could be that *******. Merry Christmas troll.
                              LOL! Merry Xmas, BTNT. Good luck with the job search in the new year.

Comment

Sounds good, you probably know RK anyway, my son plays for Valeo. You may want to bring your town U16 team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X