ECNL is it delivering on the hype?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wrong. As an example the Stars U17 team is in the B bracket, beacuse they are not as strong.

Comment

and there is no way that Stars team can compete for the national championship, correct? where did they finish in the standings? so what you are saying it is possible that a team from the midwest region could win all of their games in their regional competitions and still not be in the national championship because they were put in the B flight based upon last year's results? why would anyone agree to that? how do those Stars parents feel knowing they can go out and recruit the best players in the region, imprve so much that they beat everyone next year and still not be eligible to compete for the national title? doesn't it sound like this process needs to be changed to reflect the regional competitions?

Comment

The system does reflect regional competition as well as the ECNL tournaments that they attend. The only way that they can win the ECNL National title would be to win the B Bracket 1 year then compete in the A bracket the following year. Seems fair to me.
        They used to be in the A bracket but were not cometitive and thus were relegated to the B bracket. If parents or players don't like the system then they should leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          The system does reflect regional competition as well as the ECNL tournaments that they attend. The only way that they can win the ECNL National title would be to win the B Bracket 1 year then compete in the A bracket the following year. Seems fair to me.
          They used to be in the A bracket but were not cometitive and thus were relegated to the B bracket. If parents or players don't like the system then they should leave.
          or not join. based upon this scenario the scorpions teams have no shot at being anything important in the encl. their u14 team would basically have to run the table for two years just to have a shot at playing where all the college coaches will be but stars u14 could just do enough to barely hang on and still get there. at least with the state cup you still have the right to fight your way to the top even if your team plays in masc. you are helping to make some decisions easy. thank you.

Comment

Think the point is that it is not the home run that a lot of people said it was going to be. From what I can see it really isn't that big of a deal. It simply is an alternative regional league. One of the things that I think hurts it now is that since they are not participating in the state cups their only chance to really win something is through the ECNL championship and that looks pretty tough to get into. I am afraid you could have a pretty good team and still be standing around a BBQ every 4th of July talking about soccer, not playing it.
            wondering if you'll see teams toward the end of the season, who start to know they won't be a contender, get qualified for state cup and give that channel a go. Frankly, some of the teams that were at the nationals USYS did fair as well in the ECNL. There is such a penalty for early losses.

The new rules make your head spin about what games count toward what. What we can decipher is that you could actually win the division, against A squads and B squads mixed, but be in the B bracket, not contending for anything except promotion. Any A squad playing B squads in regionals won't have those games count toward their placement in the nationals. Any B squad playing an A squad won't have those games count toward placement in their B bracket for nationals. All teams in U16 and U17 are at the nationals, but only top 16 in U18 go. Is this correct?

Comment

typo: "instead of some teams at USYS nationals DIDN't fair as well in the ECNL standings".

Comment

correct, U15 scorpions would have to get promoted this upcoming year from the B bracket then they would be able to compete for the ECNL championship the following year

Comment

so if I read this correctly only the A flight gets to compete for the national championship and you get put into the A flight simply because of your club standing at the end of the year even if your team is a dog. So your team could really suck and be in the national championship bracket and a team that beat all comers all year but was a member of a suck club gets to watch from the sidelines, is that about it?
                  No, every team is placed in A or B based on their record when they join, so clubs will have A and B teams, and then after it is based on their results in the ECNL. Not done at a club level. The only thing that is done at a club level is way at the end of the year, they give overall club standings and award, based on some point system after nationals.

Comment

Mr anti-ECNL ought to come forward and speak his mind rather than constantly asking leading questions, pretending to have a neutral view toward the league.

My daughter plays in ECNL and I have not been fed a load of hype. It's a league, with both positives and negativesn like all others. Compared to an older sister, the competition is more consistent and predictable. We get huge advance notice and book travel in advance for substantial savings. If we don't do SC, (I'll believe it when I see it.) then the year long schedule will be more spread out with fewer games jammed into various spring weekends. This spring seemed like it would never end. One negative will be no longer playing SC, and guaging the quality of the team against other Ma competition. The a-b situation could be a problem, but my quess for our team is it won't. Another observation is since all ECNL games matter in the standings, the chance to "showcase" all players at showcase tournaments is sometimes difficult. Kids better bring their best each and every game, else they find themselves on the bench when a coach they contacted finally shows.

I'm sorry Mr anti- needs to whine away. ECNL is not perfect, but it's better than the old Red Bull, R1, Maple years, and that's all I have for comparison. Good luck and best wishes to all.

Comment

Mr anti-ECNL ought to come forward and speak his mind rather than constantly asking leading questions, pretending to have a neutral view toward the league.

My daughter plays in ECNL and I have not been fed a load of hype. It's a league, with both positives and negativesn like all others. Compared to an older sister, the competition is more consistent and predictable. We get huge advance notice and book travel in advance for substantial savings. If we don't do SC, (I'll believe it when I see it.) then the year long schedule will be more spread out with fewer games jammed into various spring weekends. This spring seemed like it would never end. One negative will be no longer playing SC, and guaging the quality of the team against other Ma competition. The a-b situation could be a problem, but my quess for our team is it won't. Another observation is since all ECNL games matter in the standings, the chance to "showcase" all players at showcase tournaments is sometimes difficult. Kids better bring their best each and every game, else they find themselves on the bench when a coach they contacted finally shows.

I'm sorry Mr anti- needs to whine away. ECNL is not perfect, but it's better than the old Red Bull, R1, Maple years, and that's all I have for comparison. Good luck and best wishes to all.
                      The allowed roster sizes can be a little tough for the non-eleven starters. These players are really benefitting from the competition, but not getting very much play time. Lucky this is our kid, but really start to feel that the second half of the roster would be better off getting more playtime on a slightly lesser competitive team, unless ECNL coach is outstanding. The rules don't allow these players to guest play on a non-ECNL team so they are really stuck, especially for recruiting.

Comment

wondering if you'll see teams toward the end of the season, who start to know they won't be a contender, get qualified for state cup and give that channel a go. Frankly, some of the teams that were at the nationals USYS did fair as well in the ECNL. There is such a penalty for early losses.

The new rules make your head spin about what games count toward what. What we can decipher is that you could actually win the division, against A squads and B squads mixed, but be in the B bracket, not contending for anything except promotion. Any A squad playing B squads in regionals won't have those games count toward their placement in the nationals. Any B squad playing an A squad won't have those games count toward placement in their B bracket for nationals. All teams in U16 and U17 are at the nationals, but only top 16 in U18 go. Is this correct?
                        Regardless of the years, there are only a limited number of teams that qualify for the actual championship event. The reason why this is significant is while the other teams will be at the same event everyone knows full well that all of the college coaches realistically are only going to go to the championship games. The rest of the brackets will be like playing in the lower brackets at any showcase. Some coaches will be there, but not in the numbers that will be at the championship brackets. The truth of this may be that an above average non ECNL team could possibly get a higher placement at a tournament like PDA than some of the ECNL teams. Wouldn't that suck.

Comment

Wow, guess no one is allowed to question anything in the encl realm. Everyone has to be little stepford parents. Here is a clue, questioning is no attacking, unless of course you have something to hide

Comment

NO!
                            Lets play Name the New League. I'll start:

Play Lots of Money to Benefit a Select Very Few.

Comment

Not quite accurate.

This is true for the u14's only.

In u15-17 the top 16 A flight teams qualify for the championship bracket. Everyone else is there for showcasing, and/or relegation/promotion.

For u18's only the top 8 teams go to nationals, nobody else. Because they have nothing else to play for (since they are finished with college selections).
                              I believe the U18's will be the top 16 teams this year I think I read in the new rules.

Comment

I believe the U18's will be the top 16 teams this year I think I read in the new rules.
                                You're right - I missed that. Top 16 A flight and top 16 B flight each play for titles.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X