ECNL is it delivering on the hype?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If ECNL is not better then why did the ECNL board turn away 100 clubs from joining for the 2011-2012 year?

Comment

i've never hyped the ecnl or any league. just pointing out the obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        one thing IS certain. anti-ecnl folk are delivering negative hype here on t-s on a daily basis.
        we also all know nefc has a talented sc winning girls team traveling the opposite path and we all wish you well. we also know sitting around the home bbq on july 4th would be much preferable to traveling to the boonies of region 1 to overpay for a skanky hotel room.
        I think it's quite the opposite. I think many people are sick of ECNL folks telling everyone how much better they are because their club is in ECNL. It's just not that special and many feel like their club/coach/team is everything that an ECNL club claims to be. I don't see a whole lot of it as negative hype as much as I see some points that show other clubs are doing just fine.

Comment

If ECNL is not better then why did the ECNL board turn away 100 clubs from joining for the 2011-2012 year?
          Because those club coaches want the tag to market as well. Has nothing to do with "development" or playing in the "best competition." Players seem to have no problem developing in other clubs. You'll notice that in Cal South the ECNL clubs are playing in a league with non-ECNL teams. Shows how much they value ECNL, what with Blue Valley, Heat, FC Virginia and all those other powerhouses.

Comment

I bet the recruiting class of 2013 will be mostly made up of ECNL players. The league is only 2 years old. In the area where we live (Mid-Atlantic), the ECNL is drawing the best players. The U16 SAC Premier team who lost in the National Championship final this year, just moved their entire team to an ECNL club, displacing the current team at that club. In my daughter's age group (U13), there is serious interest from the parents to try to get their child into an ECNL club. Maybe MASS is different.....

Comment

You should see the list for CA teams in ECNL before you speak- West Coast, Arsenal, Real SO. Cal, SO.CAl Blues, Slammers, San Diego Surf, De Anza, San Juan. Quite a list.

Comment

I bet the recruiting class of 2013 will be mostly made up of ECNL players. The league is only 2 years old. In the area where we live (Mid-Atlantic), the ECNL is drawing the best players. The U16 SAC Premier team who lost in the National Championship final this year, just moved their entire team to an ECNL club, displacing the current team at that club. In my daughter's age group (U13), there is serious interest from the parents to try to get their child into an ECNL club. Maybe MASS is different.....
                This is a very typical response. It is great why? Explain what makes the league any more than any other and then stand by and refute the inevitiable criticism. Most of the ECNL folks duck the hard questions and fall back on the same tired responses you just gave. In Mass you have a dying club with only one really strong team that is one of the two clubs in it. It is not some overwhelmingly impressive thing up here and I am getting tired of everyone spouting off tired lines about how good the competition is and much it is going to benefit the players come college recruiting. I personally don't see any of those claims.

Comment

You should see the list for CA teams in ECNL before you speak- West Coast, Arsenal, Real SO. Cal, SO.CAl Blues, Slammers, San Diego Surf, De Anza, San Juan. Quite a list.
                  Perhaps, but when you look at some of the clubs (like SoccerPlus here in CT) and hear about some of the lopsided results you have to just scratch your head and wonder what all of the hype is about.

Comment

Agreed. Some teams will not last in ECNL if the whole club cannot compete such as Soccerplus. I expect that some clubs will get dropped as stronger clubs get accepted. This is one difference between the USNational League which is a TEAM based league vs ECNL which is a CLUB based league (ie the entire club has to have strong teams in the u15-u18 age groups or they won't last)

Comment

Think you might be missing something. The A/B flight thing is only supposed to apply to the showcases not the championship. You have to earn your way into the championship. Even then there are only 16 teams out of a possible 66. No matter how you want to coach it, the is still going to be a pretty big gap between the haves and the have nots.
                      Nope, I'm pretty sure I'm right.

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague....s/index_E.html

ECNL National Championship Standings & the ECNL National Champions (U15 - U18 A-Flight):

In 2011-2012, the ECNL National Champion will be determined based on position in the ECNL National Championship Standings – A-Flight. All games played by an ECNL A-Flight team against other teams in the ECNL A-Flight will be included in the ECNL National Championship Standings. This includes conference games, cross-conference games, and games at national events. At the end of the regular season, the top 16 teams in the ECNL National Championship Standings – A-Flight will qualify for the National Championship Group at the ECNL National Championships, where they will play four games to determine the ECNL National Champion: a round of 16 game, a quarter-final, a semi-final, and a championship game.

Comment

Don't the tournament games count in the standings? If they aren't keeping score in the showcase events any longer how is this any different from a normal showcase? If it is not different what is the benefit?
                        Tournament games count in the national championship standings, not in the conference standings.

Comment

This is a very typical response. It is great why? Explain what makes the league any more than any other and then stand by and refute the inevitiable criticism. Most of the ECNL folks duck the hard questions and fall back on the same tired responses you just gave. In Mass you have a dying club with only one really strong team that is one of the two clubs in it. It is not some overwhelmingly impressive thing up here and I am getting tired of everyone spouting off tired lines about how good the competition is and much it is going to benefit the players come college recruiting. I personally don't see any of those claims.
                          Thanks BB.

Comment

Like I haven't seen the list? Maybe you should see what those clubs are doing before you speak. They are playing in a league full of non-ECNL clubs because they realize that many clubs have outstanding teams and ECNL is not some development savior.

http://www.scdslsoccer.com/clubdirectory/index_E.html

Comment

This is their local CA league just like we have MAPLE and now NEP. We only have 2 clubs in ECNL and they are also playing in our local leagues like the ECNL teams in CA. No difference.

Comment

Nope, I'm pretty sure I'm right.

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague....s/index_E.html

ECNL National Championship Standings & the ECNL National Champions (U15 - U18 A-Flight):

In 2011-2012, the ECNL National Champion will be determined based on position in the ECNL National Championship Standings – A-Flight. All games played by an ECNL A-Flight team against other teams in the ECNL A-Flight will be included in the ECNL National Championship Standings. This includes conference games, cross-conference games, and games at national events. At the end of the regular season, the top 16 teams in the ECNL National Championship Standings – A-Flight will qualify for the National Championship Group at the ECNL National Championships, where they will play four games to determine the ECNL National Champion: a round of 16 game, a quarter-final, a semi-final, and a championship game.
                                so if I read this correctly only the A flight gets to compete for the national championship and you get put into the A flight simply because of your club standing at the end of the year even if your team is a dog. So your team could really suck and be in the national championship bracket and a team that beat all comers all year but was a member of a suck club gets to watch from the sidelines, is that about it?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X