Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are 2 ways to approach this.
    1. Attend the mega camps, PPA, Dartmouth, Brown, etc and ask to be put on the team coached by the coach of the school you are interested in. If you don't do this, you run the risk of not being seen by your target coach. The player should also introduce themself to the target coach.
    2. Attend a camp run by the target school/coach and ask to be put in the top group. Typically the host coach is not a "coach" of a group, but rather watches all groups, but pays the most attention to the group with incoming freshman players and top recruits. The player should also introduce themslef to the coach at check too.

At checkout, go thank the coach for a great week and follow-up with an email stating the desire to play for the school.

Remember, it's an interview of sorts and asking for the "job"/position is a great way to close the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      There are 2 ways to approach this.
      1. Attend the mega camps, PPA, Dartmouth, Brown, etc and ask to be put on the team coached by the coach of the school you are interested in. If you don't do this, you run the risk of not being seen by your target coach. The player should also introduce themself to the target coach.
      2. Attend a camp run by the target school/coach and ask to be put in the top group. Typically the host coach is not a "coach" of a group, but rather watches all groups, but pays the most attention to the group with incoming freshman players and top recruits. The player should also introduce themslef to the coach at check too.

At checkout, go thank the coach for a great week and follow-up with an email stating the desire to play for the school.

Remember, it's an interview of sorts and asking for the "job"/position is a great way to close the loop.
      Not sure about Brown but Dartmouth does not accept requests for placement with certain coaches. Coaches claim that they are also not able to get a specific player into their group.

Do you think they will put a kid in the top group just because they ask?

Comment

Just another thing to be aware of which is injuries.

My daughter tore her ACL last month in a game. She was scheduled for 3 college soccer camps and a preseason camp with a well-known CT. soccer club known for its camps.

Of the 3 college soccer camps, only 1 offered a refund (minus $100 for administrative expenses). Rest of the camps all took a $250 administrative fee. Same with the Preseason soccer camp.

So, we are out $850 in deposits. I know that they have to cover their expenses, but it seems excessive to charge $250 when the reason for a child not going is due to injury.

Comment

Not sure about Brown but Dartmouth does not accept requests for placement with certain coaches. Coaches claim that they are also not able to get a specific player into their group.

if the player has been communicating with a coach long before the camp, and the camp will not allow requests, then I would contact the target coach and try that route. Or why goto the camp in the first place?, other than to hopefully grab some slight interest.

Comment

Or why go to the camp in the first place?, other than to hopefully grab some slight interest.
            Exactly!!!

Comment

At these camps, do the kids already committed, rising freshman and returning players have to pay tuition?

Comment

At these camps, do the kids already committed, rising freshman and returning players have to pay tuition?
                I would be surprised if returning college players come to the camps. If you are not yet enrolled then you'd have to pay otherwise it would be an NCAA violation, wouldn't it?

Comment

I would be surprised if returning college players come to the camps. If you are not yet enrolled then you'd have to pay otherwise it would be an NCAA violation, wouldn't it?
                  Many do and work as "assistant coaches".

Comment

Why not? Many parents have gotten their kids on club teams or ODP this way. Why run the risk of being evaluated based on perforemance and skill?

Comment

Many do and work as "assistant coaches".
                      Exactly they are being paid - not paying campers.

Comment

Why not? Many parents have gotten their kids on club teams or ODP this way. Why run the risk of being evaluated based on perforemance and skill?
                        Hello...First, the player should be asking. Second, if the coach is spending more time with the top talent, why wouldn't you want to be in that group? If you can compete or not, the coach will know based on performance and skill. What benefit is it to be the "star" player in a group that no one is watching.

Comment

Hello...First, the player should be asking. Second, if the coach is spending more time with the top talent, why wouldn't you want to be in that group? If you can compete or not, the coach will know based on performance and skill. What benefit is it to be the "star" player in a group that no one is watching.
                          Because, everyone wants to be in that group. That's why they are there. Might as well have one big game of 100 v 100.

Comment

Just another thing to be aware of which is injuries.

My daughter tore her ACL last month in a game. She was scheduled for 3 college soccer camps and a preseason camp with a well-known CT. soccer club known for its camps.

Of the 3 college soccer camps, only 1 offered a refund (minus $100 for administrative expenses). Rest of the camps all took a $250 administrative fee. Same with the Preseason soccer camp.

So, we are out $850 in deposits. I know that they have to cover their expenses, but it seems excessive to charge $250 when the reason for a child not going is due to injury.
                            Plus I know Brown had a waiting list last year and I wouldn't be surprised if that was common, so they are probably banking the fees from someone else.

They are brutal.

Comment

I can confirm that. Two coaches who were very interested in my son prior to the Dartmouth camp were in the "other" group and only got a chance to see him by virtue of the fact he made the all-star games. Otherwise, they would not have seen him play at all that week.

Comment

I can confirm that. Two coaches who were very interested in my son prior to the Dartmouth camp were in the "other" group and only got a chance to see him by virtue of the fact he made the all-star games. Otherwise, they would not have seen him play at all that week.

So, the coaches of interest got to watch him for 15-30 mins over a 3 day camp?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X