Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are we teaching our Children?

After a week of closed fields due to the late thaw, most games were able to be played. It was unfortunate that a number of teams were invited by one league at the last minute to fill numbers leaving another league, creating odd numbers and hardship for those playing.

Such behavior is wrong, but what was even more wrong is that those teams had rosters and passcards from the league they left and never bothered to inform anyone in that league that they had left. In fact in some cases, the club claimed to be unaware.

In any case, teams and referees showed up to play only to have no opponent. No appologies, no notice. All of the other teams they were scheduled to play are harmed, but these people don't care.

This is what parents and coaches are teaching our children:

1. There are no commitments.
    2. There is no need to provide notice or reasons for their actions.
    3. They can do what ever they want, whenever they want.
    4. There are no consequences to their actions.
    5. Outcomes are all that matter.

What we are raising by such an example are sociopaths: People with no consideration for others and no conscience.

Why should I be surprised? This is what fills this forum.

Can you be more specific? What actually happened here?

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
      After a week of closed fields due to the late thaw, most games were able to be played. It was unfortunate that a number of teams were invited by one league at the last minute to fill numbers leaving another league, creating odd numbers and hardship for those playing.

Such behavior is wrong, but what was even more wrong is that those teams had rosters and passcards from the league they left and never bothered to inform anyone in that league that they had left. In fact in some cases, the club claimed to be unaware.

In any case, teams and referees showed up to play only to have no opponent. No appologies, no notice. All of the other teams they were scheduled to play are harmed, but these people don't care.

What we are raising by such an example are sociopaths: People with no consideration for others and no conscience.

Or, the more likely explanation, somebody was informed and did a poor job of informing everyone else.

Comment

What in the world are you talking about?

Comment

Get some therapy or medication!

Comment

Should never have posted on this forum. The responses made show the type of people involved.
            Last edited by OB1; 04-07-2014, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Should never have posted on this forum. The responses made show the type of people involved.
              Take your meds. You will be okay.

Comment

Why dont you simply describe what happened?

This is like one of those Facebook posts......I am so sad.

Followed by 20 people asking what happened. Just clearly state what the issue is or dont post.

Comment

Most likely scenario that I can interpret is some poor manager either wasn't notified about a schedule change and/or failed to communicate it. So what. It happens. And in addition to teaching children to be respectful of others' time, it's also important for them to learn we're all human and people make mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    Most likely scenario that I can interpret is some poor manager either wasn't notified about a schedule change and/or failed to communicate it. So what. It happens. And in addition to teaching children to be respectful of others' time, it's also important for them to learn we're all human and people make mistakes.
                    Exactly. And how does he feel that they are teaching something bad to the kids.

"Hey guys - we aren't going to play in league X after all - and you know what the best part is - we're not going to let them know!"

Comment

What in the world are you talking about?
                      I agree. If you're going to go off on a rant, be clearer and spell it out a bit better.

Comment

You can't be serious? Your rambling post leaves the entire forum confused and it's our fault. Just make a cogent point and people will weigh in.

Comment

Seriously OB, your initial post is quite vague. Even the yahoos on this board cannot respond to something without knowing at least what league you are ranting about. I would suspect that if a fair # of people were involved in your situation, they would understand your post and comment.

Comment

Here, I'll help you out.

"I'm not happy with the world. The world is not as it should be. I suspect that not everyone on Earth is a good person. I want it fixed, or all we'll be teaching our children is that the world is not a great place."

See? I managed (with great difficulty) to be more vague and whiny than you, so now everyone can yell at me instead.

You're welcome.

Comment

You can't be serious? Your rambling post leaves the entire forum confused and it's our fault. Just make a cogent point and people will weigh in.
                              How about this: if you don't grasp someone's point, then it clearly doesn't affect you, so move on to something else. No need to post snarky responses about someone needing to take their meds or other insults.

I totally get the response. Asking 99 percent of the people on this forum turned cesspool to behave well is asking the impossible.

Now let's see the insults fly in response to this. I know you won't be able to resist.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X