• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sermani fired.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/stor...scom:foxsoccer

crickets

Comment

apparently

the old hags on the team who wanted to pad their own personal stats with international caps complained that younger players were taking their playing time

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        the old hags on the team who wanted to pad their own personal stats with international caps complained that younger players were taking their playing time

Unfortunately, this is exactly what is wrong with women's soccer today from the US National team all the way down to the youth levels! Simply disgusting that politics and drama are allowed to dictate !

Comment

Do you know for a fact that this is the reason he was canned? Easy to surmise but that doesn't make it so.

Comment

Originally posted by header View Post
            Do you know for a fact that this is the reason he was canned? Easy to surmise but that doesn't make it so.
            From Grant Wahl of Sports Illustrated.

A source close to several U.S. players told SI.com on Sunday night that Gulati was very concerned about the team following the Algarve Cup and spoke to several players, who were also worried about their direction heading toward the World Cup qualifying tournament in October.

“I would assume obviously there has to be some degree of dissatisfaction among the players, otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten to this point so quickly now,” Sermanni said. “But I don’t know, and that’s life. I can say the players have done what I’ve asked them to do over the last year and a half, and that I have no qualms with them in the sense of having poor relations with them.”

Comment

From Grant Wahl of Sports Illustrated.

A source close to several U.S. players told SI.com on Sunday night that Gulati was very concerned about the team following the Algarve Cup and spoke to several players, who were also worried about their direction heading toward the World Cup qualifying tournament in October.

“I would assume obviously there has to be some degree of dissatisfaction among the players, otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten to this point so quickly now,” Sermanni said. “But I don’t know, and that’s life. I can say the players have done what I’ve asked them to do over the last year and a half, and that I have no qualms with them in the sense of having poor relations with them.”
              I don't know. It sounds like US Soccer pulled the trigger a little quick here. But who knows. We are not that close to the situation.

Comment

I think the performance at the Algarve Cup was definitely something to be concerned about as the World Cup qualifiers loom in the future, but the fact that younger teams haven't done so well either in their tournaments suggests that what is wrong has more to do than who is coaching a national team.

Comment

I think the performance at the Algarve Cup was definitely something to be concerned about as the World Cup qualifiers loom in the future, but the fact that younger teams haven't done so well either in their tournaments suggests that what is wrong has more to do than who is coaching a national team.
                  I agree. I think the fact that our national teams are filled with players who were identified as children at U12-U15 may be hindering the talent pool. Many of these same players merely graduate to the older levels where it is tough for those who have developed later to be identified. ODP is done after high school. College players have no mechanism for identification if they don't have a previous ODP resume. I think these national teams may be missing some of these potential gems.

Comment

Originally posted by header View Post
                    I don't know. It sounds like US Soccer pulled the trigger a little quick here. But who knows. We are not that close to the situation.
                    Didn't Pia almost get fired after losing to Mexico in World Cup Qualifying in late 2010?

Comment

I agree. I think the fact that our national teams are filled with players who were identified as children at U12-U15 may be hindering the talent pool. Many of these same players merely graduate to the older levels where it is tough for those who have developed later to be identified. ODP is done after high school. College players have no mechanism for identification if they don't have a previous ODP resume. I think these national teams may be missing some of these potential gems.
                      I can tell you from watching local D1 women's soccer that it is appalling what these young women don't know about the game of soccer and the level of coaching in most cases is equally appalling. Those of you with kids playing club can pretty much assume that your daughter's soccer knowledge is going to come to a halt just about U16 and it's all because soccer is geared to the college game.

Comment

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commen...nal-team-coach

Comment

Ridiculous. The guy was trying younger players and adjusting the team style of play. Change is never easy, but he was playing younger, more technical players and just beginning to see dividends. Either the inmates are in charge of the asylum, or there is much more to the story.

Comment

Agreed. Seems they pick a pool of about 100 girls at the u14 level and continuously cycle them through the national camps. Time to look somewhere else!! This strategy is not working! Get some scouts to do some leg work, man.

Comment

Agreed. Seems they pick a pool of about 100 girls at the u14 level and continuously cycle them through the national camps. Time to look somewhere else!! This strategy is not working! Get some scouts to do some leg work, man.
                              Spot on! Give other kids a chance to prove they belong! There are many great hardworking
                              players getting overlooked who deserve a shot ! Obviously this just shows how the
                              entire system is flawed.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X