Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I don't think the thread was started by someone who knew the answer. Same thread was started on CT board. I suspect this was a topic posted by a moderator just to generate a discussion.
    More likely a troll doing so. You will also see parallel threads about ECNL vs NPL, top age group teams, and merger rumors all the time.

Comment

Merger with Valeo = plunder ??

No merger, just an end.

Comment

Wasn't a moderator.

If they start a discussion (or post for that matter) they do so with their registered names...

Comment

The famous Newton United Club will be no longer after this Spring. This is too bad actually. They had a decent model and showed the bigger and more expensive clubs that they could produce competitive teams. However, youth soccer is a business. The volunteer dads of NU have proven to themselves that they cannot continue while having to work a full time job otherwise.
          Famous? Never heard of them.

However if it's like most town teams -- the better kids probably moved on to real clubs,
          some of the others probably found different sports (or boys), and the rest aren't enough to field a full team.

I'm sure they had fun while it lasted, but in the end, who cares?

Comment

However if it's like most town teams -- the better kids probably moved on to real clubs,
            some of the others probably found different sports (or boys), and the rest aren't enough to field a full team.

I bet if this discussion was about structure of the electrical transformer you would also posted some enlightening speech for us........as if you new anything about it.

Comment

I bet if this discussion was about structure of the electrical transformer you would also posted some enlightening speech for us........as if you new anything about it.
              What discussion? Nobody cares, move on.

Comment

What discussion? Nobody cares, move on.
                right. Don't worry about the discussion. Just be an idiot as are and post something. Any word combination. Seems like this method works for you what a good.

Comment

right. Don't worry about the discussion. Just be an idiot as are and post something. Any word combination. Seems like this method works for you what a good.
                  P.S. Surrounded by idiots this morning. Including my own speech recognition software.

Comment

I tried to ignore this but, in my weakness, I could not. Although TS is littered with arrogant morons such as yourself, your comment contributes less than nothing. In fact it takes away and places the human mind in a negative zone.
                    Newton United is not a town team. It has excellent coaches (volunteer dads) who had very good knowledge of the game and were able to direct these young kids. For these parents, practices were convenient, three times per week, and the cost was approximately 1/3 that of other clubs. I would submit that the training was just as good or better as other clubs.

As an earlier poster pointed out a model that is not sustainable is not a [perfect] model. The closure of NU reflects the lack of qualified volunteers willing to give up the amount of time to continue. I suspect that most of the parents and kids will be disappointed to see what they will pay for the quality and quantity that the bigger (in your small mind...better) clubs provide.

Your comment is as much part of the business problem with youth sports as anything else. Your tone (although I might be misreading) seems to suggest that the bigger club is simply better with the assumption that since they are bigger the coaching must therefore be better. This is not the case. Bigger is not.....always....better. I would submit that of the 20-24 NU kids 70% will go on to make first teams in other clubs. Is there anyway that you can tell me that 70% of the NEFC U11 and U12 kids can make the first team of any other club??

Your comment oozes arrogance and stupidity. Bigger clubs (of which I am sure that your son or daughter is a part of) should look to the NU model and figure out how the bigger clubs can provide more training for less money instead of demanding more money for less training.

Comment

I tried to ignore this but, in my weakness, I could not. Although TS is littered with arrogant morons such as yourself, your comment contributes less than nothing. In fact it takes away and places the human mind in a negative zone.
                      Newton United is not a town team. It has excellent coaches (volunteer dads) who had very good knowledge of the game and were able to direct these young kids. For these parents, practices were convenient, three times per week, and the cost was approximately 1/3 that of other clubs. I would submit that the training was just as good or better as other clubs.

As an earlier poster pointed out a model that is not sustainable is not a [perfect] model. The closure of NU reflects the lack of qualified volunteers willing to give up the amount of time to continue. I suspect that most of the parents and kids will be disappointed to see what they will pay for the quality and quantity that the bigger (in your small mind...better) clubs provide.

Your comment is as much part of the business problem with youth sports as anything else. Your tone (although I might be misreading) seems to suggest that the bigger club is simply better with the assumption that since they are bigger the coaching must therefore be better. This is not the case. Bigger is not.....always....better. I would submit that of the 20-24 NU kids 70% will go on to make first teams in other clubs. Is there anyway that you can tell me that 70% of the NEFC U11 and U12 kids can make the first team of any other club??

Your comment oozes arrogance and stupidity. Bigger clubs (of which I am sure that your son or daughter is a part of) should look to the NU model and figure out how the bigger clubs can provide more training for less money instead of demanding more money for less training.
                      Different poster. I agree with you that some smaller clubs can have terrific coaching and perhaps that was the situation at NU. But the smaller clubs lack the resources to sustain that development over many years and many age groups. It appears to be exactly what ended things at NU and forced them to merge with a better resourced organization.

When small-club advocates come on TS shooting off their mouths about how great their teams are, this dynamic is precisely why they tend to get shouted down by the big club crowd. The folks that have been around long enough know that smaller organizations eventually get overwhelmed by the logistics.

Congrats to the NU dads for getting their kids off to a great start and merging at the opportune time.

Comment

The JSSA U12 wanderer team looks like it will be imploding. They couldn't keep the coach happy so he left and a lot of the players have moved over to the MPS Bulldogs or will do at the end of the season as a consequence. Hence the heavy defeat they inflicted on them at the NEFC tournament.

Looks like the one anomaly at that club is over.

Comment

Why does it bother you people that your kids played on a town team? There is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Volunteer dads, kids from the same town, lack of sustainability = town team.

There is something to be said for the underdog taking on the establishment. Hopefully you enjoyed it while it lasted.

The price was low because you had volunteer dads. People willing to devote that much time do not grow on trees. That's why town programs fall apart sooner rather than later.

My guess is that you'll be unhappy with a large club because you will have to drive 30+ minutes to practice instead of 5 minutes. Your kids also won't get special treatment anymore. If they don't develop and produce they won't get to stay with their friends.

Many of you will be surprised after an actual tryout. Timmy's dad isn't the coach anymore. To say that 15 kids will make a first team is a little ambitious. You may want to try out several places if you're "first team" shopping. While I can't guarantee that the coaching at big clubs is better, I can tell you that they won't be impressed by your attitude.

Which part of the model? Is it the free labor? The part about not being able to last more than 3 years?

Take a deep breath. You ran out of dads. The club did you a favor by disbanding prior to the U13 transition to a full field. Good luck at GPS. They're good at convincing you you're on the first team.

Comment

No merger, just an end.
                            No, a pilot test.

Comment

Different poster. I agree with you that some smaller clubs can have terrific coaching and perhaps that was the situation at NU. But the smaller clubs lack the resources to sustain that development over many years and many age groups. It appears to be exactly what ended things at NU and forced them to merge with a better resourced organization.

When small-club advocates come on TS shooting off their mouths about how great their teams are, this dynamic is precisely why they tend to get shouted down by the big club crowd. The folks that have been around long enough know that smaller organizations eventually get overwhelmed by the logistics.

Congrats to the NU dads for getting their kids off to a great start and merging at the opportune time.
                              NU was never about the club. It is about individual development. Partnering with Valeo is a perfect way to continue to keep the focus on the players. Valeo needs NU resources just as much as NU needs theirs. The soccer club to watch will be Valeo for many years.

Comment

any specific reason to bring NEFC into your example?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X