Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Only stupid people look at UNC as nirvana. There are much better educations out there to be had and there are much better playing situations to be found.
    People who call others 'stupid" should not be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by perspective View Post
      Much better educations? Much better? Where? Maybe you aren't familiar with the world-wide academic reputation of UNC.
      You might want to read about all of the scandal in the UNC athletic system before you start making claims about the world wide reputation. The reputation is more for academic cheating than for rigor. Sorry but there are several schools in the ACC alone that have better academic/athletic reputations than them.

Comment

You might want to read about all of the scandal in the UNC athletic system before you start making claims about the world wide reputation. The reputation is more for academic cheating than for rigor. Sorry but there are several schools in the ACC alone that have better academic/athletic reputations than them.
        I'm not necessarily talking about the athletes. UNC is world-class and the scandal has not ruined its reputation in any overall sense any more than sexual assault cases have ruined the reputation of Amherst College or the lacrosse team ruined Duke. Other than Duke and being on par with UVA, what ACC schools are you suggested have a higher academic reputation??? UNC consistently is ranked as a top 30 school and one of the 5 public elites along with UC-B, Michigan, UVA and UCLA, and that's only been true for 60+ years.

Comment

uconn!!!!!
          No, actually Cal.

Comment

Has anyone ever heard of the college telling a kid they like them and want them in the program but instead of giving them an offer then, they ask what their financial needs are. I always thought they told the player they are making an offer and here is what the offer is, rather than saying that they want to make an offer, but need to know what the needs of the family are before making an offer. Maybe they aren't that high on my DK. Or maybe this school just approaches the offer process by asking needs before making the offer.
            During my daughter's search for D1 soccer acceptance, this inquiry was actually quite common. We were also asked to fill out the financial estimator. This allows the coach to figure out an attractive offer or package for you to consider. Most times the offers include other money besides athletic.

Comment

I'm not necessarily talking about the athletes. UNC is world-class and the scandal has not ruined its reputation in any overall sense any more than sexual assault cases have ruined the reputation of Amherst College or the lacrosse team ruined Duke. Other than Duke and being on par with UVA, what ACC schools are you suggested have a higher academic reputation??? UNC consistently is ranked as a top 30 school and one of the 5 public elites along with UC-B, Michigan, UVA and UCLA, and that's only been true for 60+ years.
              Holiday Inn must have used you as the inspiration for their commercials. You seem to feel you know everything when in reality you know very little. Do you ever bother to think that others might have gone to UNC and have some insight that you don't? Sorry but UNC doesn't have nearly the reputation that you are fawning over. Here is the original exchange. In the future try to keep the discussion on track instead of constantly getting into ******* matches with people over which colleges you think are special. The point was more about balance than anything.

Dorrance has the pick of the litter every year. Almost every elite player in the world has UNC on the short list. The bottom 1/3 of his team would be a top 25 team. He can be arrogant and selective with recruits and is losing more of them than he used to due to competition and $.
              Only stupid people look at UNC as nirvana. There are much better educations out there to be had and there are much better playing situations to be found.
              The fact is there ARE plenty of better educations than UNC. Duke and UVA are just two in the same conference. Never mind the Ivies, Georgetown, William & Mary, Vanderbilt, Stanford, and Northwestern are five others outside of the ACC that are certainly better on the academic front.

On the soccer side UNC has a reputation for being a factory. If your idea quality is competing with 30+ players for even a sniff of playing time then certainly UNC is the place for your child. There ARE, however, actually programs out there where an athlete can find the same level of soccer, better academics, and a more humane existence than what the UNC program has a reputation of providing.

Comment

Holiday Inn must have used you as the inspiration for their commercials. You seem to feel you know everything when in reality you know very little. Do you ever bother to think that others might have gone to UNC and have some insight that you don't? Sorry but UNC doesn't have nearly the reputation that you are fawning over. Here is the original exchange. In the future try to keep the discussion on track instead of constantly getting into ******* matches with people over which colleges you think are special. The point was more about balance than anything.

The fact is there ARE plenty of better educations than UNC. Duke and UVA are just two in the same conference. Never mind the Ivies, Georgetown, William & Mary, Vanderbilt, Stanford, and Northwestern are five others outside of the ACC that are certainly better on the academic front.

On the soccer side UNC has a reputation for being a factory. If your idea quality is competing with 30+ players for even a sniff of playing time then certainly UNC is the place for your child. There ARE, however, actually programs out there where an athlete can find the same level of soccer, better academics, and a more humane existence than what the UNC program has a reputation of providing.
                "In the future" I don't need any directives from you about how to post. I was responding directly to the suggestion that UNC is a less than good academic institution. UVA is NOT considered better than UNC and UNC and Duke share some of the same programs, including the very prestigious Robertson scholarships. When you add academics and athletics together there are few peers. You named a few above that MIGHT be considered preferable but that doesn't diminish that UNC is considered a top tier school and on eof the top 5 publics in the country. I'm not sending a kid to play soccer at UNC so I'm not concerned about playing time there. Know very little? OK...but at least as much or more than you.

Comment

"In the future" I don't need any directives from you about how to post. I was responding directly to the suggestion that UNC is a less than good academic institution. UVA is NOT considered better than UNC and UNC and Duke share some of the same programs, including the very prestigious Robertson scholarships. When you add academics and athletics together there are few peers. You named a few above that MIGHT be considered preferable but that doesn't diminish that UNC is considered a top tier school and on eof the top 5 publics in the country. I'm not sending a kid to play soccer at UNC so I'm not concerned about playing time there. Know very little? OK...but at least as much or more than you.
                  Here we go, next you will probably pull out the US News rankings and try to qualify just how great UNC actually is. Who really gives a hoot? At the end of the day if an athlete is motivated to get an education UNC will do just fine. The problem most athletes run into at that level of college soccer is their purpose for being at the institution is usually more for soccer reasons than for educational ones and that typically makes all of your points mute.

From where I am sitting the poster wasn't saying that UNC was bad they were saying that there were better options out there. My bet is they were responding to the same point that caught my eye, the ascertain that every top player in the country has UNC on their short list. I also think that is a ridiculous statement because if you actually know anything about the UNC soccer program you are going to know that it most certainly is not for everyone. I think those that put that sort of program up on a pedestal like that are simply mythicizing something they have no actual experience with.

Comment

During my daughter's search for D1 soccer acceptance, this inquiry was actually quite common. We were also asked to fill out the financial estimator. This allows the coach to figure out an attractive offer or package for you to consider. Most times the offers include other money besides athletic.
                    Thank you for the information. I now realize why they asked the question. Cearly they want to offer just enough to entice the recruit, but not more than they have to. I get it. It's just like buying a car, I want it as cheaply as I can get it.

Comment

The problem most athletes run into at that level of college soccer is their purpose for being at the institution is usually more for soccer reasons than for educational ones and that typically makes all of your points mute.
                      It's 'moot," not 'mute.' Would expect better from someone who went to a supposed better school than 'ol mediocre UNC. And wouldn't your point above apply to every top school, not just UNC. Like Stanford, Duke, etc. Aren't they at "that level of college soccer." As for not for everyone, you're right. Not many can be impact players at the top program for 30+ years. At least we now know where your kid won't be going.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I now realize why they asked the question. Cearly they want to offer just enough to entice the recruit, but not more than they have to. I get it. It's just like buying a car, I want it as cheaply as I can get it.
                        Would be moot if mens basketball or football, but soccer has only 11 or 12 scholarships to share among 20+ kids so if some of the recruits qualify for other aid the coaches can make their scholarship dollars go further.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Scholarship dollars can go away or be reduced if your kid stops playing, is injury prone or is a bench warmer. Often merit aid and need based aid continues regardless if the student is still playing soccer (as long as need is still there and grades are acceptable).

Comment

The problem is that unlike with buying a car, it is a bit tricky to negotiate. My daughter was only involved in Private D1 schools, so maybe that is why this never came up. We took the offers, then made a choice. I don't think I would have felt comfortable having her (or us as parents) going back with the scholarship. I have heard of the coach reaching out to colleges to ask what they would do to match an offer for players, but we didn't have the help of our coach. I just think be careful so you don't come across like it's all about the money, but make sure that it is clear what financial support you will be receiving. Good luck and congrats!

Comment

Money is important. Colleges even public ones are very expensive. UNH and URI are roughly $40,000/year (tuition/room and board) for out of state students, i.e. the same or high than some excellent private colleges, e.g. Fairfield, Assumption, St. Michaels, or St. Anselm. The Federal monies are unrealistically low and the loans are at very high interest rates.

Look at the complete package. It is highly probably that your soccer player will decide to stop playing after two years. Many realize that they have peaked and that they need to position themselves to get a job upon graduation. Internships and academic rigor conflict with soccer. While many can manage both many also want to have some time to enjoy their college experience. (There are three choices in college: Academics, Social and Athletics. One can only do two.)

In any case, grant money is not tied to athletics or a specific scholastic grade average. Academic scholarships are tied to grades. Depending on the terms of the academic scholarship, the grades on average can range from B- to B+ and above. Such can be lost.

Athletic scholarships are generally lost if he player stops playing. Investigate the exact details. Athletic scholarships can be revoked for many reasons including injuries sustained as part of the athletic program. There are some restrictions on arbitrary revocation of athletic scholarships. Carefully read the fine print. You might want to ask a lawyer familiar such contracts to read the agreements.

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
                              Money is important. Colleges even public ones are very expensive. UNH and URI are roughly $40,000/year (tuition/room and board) for out of state students, i.e. the same or high than some excellent private colleges, e.g. Fairfield, Assumption, St. Michaels, or St. Anselm. The Federal monies are unrealistically low and the loans are at very high interest rates.

Look at the complete package. It is highly probably that your soccer player will decide to stop playing after two years. Many realize that they have peaked and that they need to position themselves to get a job upon graduation. Internships and academic rigor conflict with soccer. While many can manage both many also want to have some time to enjoy their college experience. (There are three choices in college: Academics, Social and Athletics. One can only do two.)

In any case, grant money is not tied to athletics or a specific scholastic grade average. Academic scholarships are tied to grades. Depending on the terms of the academic scholarship, the grades on average can range from B- to B+ and above. Such can be lost.

Athletic scholarships are generally lost if he player stops playing. Investigate the exact details. Athletic scholarships can be revoked for many reasons including injuries sustained as part of the athletic program. There are some restrictions on arbitrary revocation of athletic scholarships. Carefully read the fine print. You might want to ask a lawyer familiar such contracts to read the agreements.
                              The problem is that (especially girls) players are committing when they are Sophomores. There is nothing in writing and there is no way to have an idea of financial or academic awards. There is nothing that you are going to show to a lawyer. You have a conversation and you both agree that you won't look elsewhere. Done.

Comment

this is a verbal agreement as a sophomore. There are no written
                                /signed contracts at this time. Both parties can still back out which does happen.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X