Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Oh yeah, the whopping 4 total teams that competed in the Jeff Cup U11 "TOP" division are known powerhouses!

More crickets to come.
    Hmmmmmm. Let's figure out why. Oh, I got it! It's because THE TOP clubs don't play 11v11 at such an early age. By TOP I mean the Pre-Academy teams.

Comment

This is a brilliant idea. Its exactly why we are now having our U8 teams play 15 v 15 on an 11 v 11 size field.
      Our club plays 19 vs 18 on a full size pitch. The extra player hasn't proven to provide the advantage we were hoping for though. Also, both teams go skins and we use hockey size goals to keep the score down.

Comment

Oh yeah, the whopping 4 total teams that competed in the Jeff Cup U11 "TOP" division are known powerhouses!

More crickets to come.
        Chirp, chirp...................................

Comment

Crazy?

so far-- probably not the best U11 soccer games the team has ever played but they are playing in a low division. it's fine they could be playing 8 v 8 against weaker teams.

Comment

easy? yes they are

so far-- probably not the best U11 soccer games the team has ever played but they are playing in a low division. it's fine they could be playing 8 v 8 against weaker teams.
            apparently -
            lost to fuller, tied to spartans, barely-1 over falcons and hammer out of 9 games. Hope the winter sessions paid off (well dont need to in white. - my grandpa plays in white)
            -didn't seem too easy playing 8v8 for them.

Comment

apparently -
              lost to fuller, tied to spartans, barely-1 over falcons and hammer out of 9 games. Hope the winter sessions paid off (well dont need to in white. - my grandpa plays in white)
              -didn't seem too easy playing 8v8 for them.
              V tied PTUSA in NEFC preseason too! Very inconsistent.

Comment

I have seen a few of these games and the younger team wins.
                Only because half of the older U13 / U14 team gives to much space to the younger team and the other half gets the whistle blown if they come within 2 feet of the younger player.

Comment

I have seen a few of these games and the younger team wins.
                  Only because half of the older U13 / U14 team gives to much space to the younger team and the other half gets the whistle blown if they come within 2 feet of the younger player.
                  Funny, the ref kept calling fouls on the smaller younger team. They still won though!

Comment

u11 thread - avg size = 4'6" avg age =10.7 avg weight = 80lbs

the kids you are describing, u12s are avg size= 5'5" avg age = 11.7 avg wt=115 lbs = none is discussing 11v11 at u12 on this thread
                    How does the average go up by 9 inches in one year?

Comment

How does the average go up by 9 inches in one year?
                      Wow! No rocket scientists on this site. Lol.

Comment

I've seen it go both ways. Years ago, when MAPLE offered u11 in a 11v11 format, the best teams were able to play the full pitch very well. Other teams looked like it was just to big for their skill level. Now that I am seeing u12 play 8v8, top teams can just kick the ball to each other's goalie and for some of the skill level that you see, an 8v8 field is too small. But each team looks like they customize the field for themselves as there's quite a variety of sizes in 8v8 fields.

Comment

If the question here is regarding U11 then there is little doubt in my mind that 8 v 8 is an optimal format. This is does not mean that there are exceptions. That being said, I do believe that even this format could be improved by imposing some rules to eliminate the potential kick and run that has no place in development of ball handling and team movement. Eliminating the goal kick that is allowed to sail well beyond half of this small field might improve the start of the play from the defensive end. The NEP does this at U10 (? U11) by allowing the first ball from the goalie to be a pass to his/her defender.

While I won't dismiss that idea that there can be some benefit toward 11 v 11 at U11, I don't think that this small amount of benefit makes it worthwhile for the younger player.

if the question is about U12 then I think there is more debate with some support for either formation. Any benefit for either option can be completely achieved or eliminated by a good or bad coach. At all these ages, the impact of the coach on the developmental benefit is key. That being said, my major issue with current 11 v 11 at U12 is that the goal itself seems very large for the varied size of the goalies attending it. Although not really a deal maker or breaker, I do think that one thing that might improve 11 v 11 at U12 is to use the 8 v 8 goal.

For any team playing 11 v 11, I like the idea that these are supplemented by 5 v 5, 6 v 6, 7 v 7, and/or 8 v 8 training either indoors or by the coaches entering the team in various different tournaments. Perhaps at U12 the best answer is a mix of formats during the year. The Stars U12 team this year has done just that.

However, for the threads title, there is little doubt that U11 should be a smaller format than 11 v 11.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X