Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I stay or should I go now?

How long should a player stay with the same coach and team? My 13 year old daughter has been with the same coach since she was 8. There has been very little change with players. My question is, my daughter appears to be at a stand still developmentally, and I'm wondering if having a new coach may be beneficial. We did not bring her to any other club tryouts because quite frankly, she is content where she is and has never offered any complaints. I, on the other hand, feel as though she could improve with a different coaching situation. Looking for some helpful advice here.

You answered your own question when she said she is content where she is.

Comment

She has never complained or asked to go elsewhere but she is laid back, down to earth kind of kid so she probably doesn't know better. She is like that about everything.

I mean, they do the same drills, over and over. They learn nothing new. It is showing in games. Just wondering what other parents think about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        You answered your own question when she said she is content where she is.
        Typical dumbass response. No insight what so ever. What happens if the kid has potential and the parent can see it's not being drawn out, do you just let her whither on some rec team? Why bother with club soccer if that is the attitude.

Comment

Typical dumbass response. No insight what so ever. What happens if the kid has potential and the parent can see it's not being drawn out, do you just let her whither on some rec team? Why bother with club soccer if that is the attitude.
          I completely agree. Brainless comment from that poster. Just because she is content, doesn't mean there is another coach/team that would be a better fit that could teach her something new.

Comment

OK then....

Glad I'm not your kid.

Comment

Yet another troll thread. Never stops.

Comment

Depends. What are her soccer goals? Just play for fun? Make the varsity? Play in college?

Comment

May I ask how this is a troll thread??? That is all you people ever say- troll and zzzzzzz

I wonder why all the other 49 states aren't this big of *******s on TS.

Comment

May I ask how this is a troll thread??? That is all you people ever say- troll and zzzzzzz

I wonder why all the other 49 states aren't this big of *******s on TS.
                    Connecticut tries.....

Comment

Sometimes it's good to push them out of their comfort zone to see what they can achieve.
                      But another poster is right - it does depend on her goals, etc. She is at an age where a change would be very beneficial. Maybe you can take her to a game at a different club to see if that piques her interest. Another option is talk with the team parents - chances are you aren't the only one feeling that way and going to the club as a group won't label you as a pain in the azz (vs going alone).

Comment

Players and coaches should rotate every 2 to 4 years. I do not think players or coaches should be changed every year or coach from U10-U18. You do not learn anything new. Like another poster said it depends on what your child wants out of club soccer. If just social then no problem but if she want to play in college then she needs to be challenged.

Comment

Sometimes it's good to push them out of their comfort zone to see what they can achieve.
                          But another poster is right - it does depend on her goals, etc. She is at an age where a change would be very beneficial. Maybe you can take her to a game at a different club to see if that piques her interest. Another option is talk with the team parents - chances are you aren't the only one feeling that way and going to the club as a group won't label you as a pain in the azz (vs going alone).
                          I wouldn't worry about being viewed as a pain - if you're finding the club isn't doing their job then you're basically just firing them. Just imagine if we had that capability with teachers - I'd do it in a second if my kid wasn't performing and it was on the teacher.

Also, while its a good age for some reasons, its just as equally a bad time as well. Depends on the kid of course, but if she's very social about her engagement with the sport, moving her may not be great. Most clubs will be open to having her come play at a practice as long as they're not recruiting her actively. Just contact the coach and find out if its an appropriate level for a given team, and see how she likes it. Talk to parents of the teams you know in other clubs, and see if any of them have positive views of their coach, or have had the same experience.

Most clubs offer clinics - take her to a couple. You're the driver of this car, not the clubs or the coaches. They work for you and you pay their salaries - sort of like politicians but you have more options to deal with when you don't like the one you have today.

Comment

A couple of years ago my daughter was in the same type of situation. We told her we wanted her to see how other teams practiced but if she remained content she would stay put. She was against the idea until 5 minutes into her first practice with the other club. After that she begged us to move her. I figured if soccer came first she would want to make the move. If friends came first she would stay put. She made the decision and going into her third year with the new club she is still happy with her choice.

Comment

My son is going into U13 and we just made a switch, for similar reasons.

U11 and U12 was at one club. He was having fun. He has fun so long as he is playing. But he and the team were not developing.

We figured, worst case scenario we end up going back.

If you switch, try to find a good coach, good team, good parents.

We were looking for growth/development first. Not a team/club with a good record or that focuses mostly on winning.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X