Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Legendary Number 10

Why is this number reserved for the best player on the team? Number 9 is a popular one too. Everyone is always fighting for these two numbers. On my daughter's team, the coach's kid wears the number 10 jersey, though she is hardly the best. I just don't get it.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why is this number reserved for the best player on the team? Number 9 is a popular one too. Everyone is always fighting for these two numbers. On my daughter's team, the coach's kid wears the number 10 jersey, though she is hardly the best. I just don't get it.
    You do know that positions are numbered?? Center mid is #10, striker is #9.

Comment

I do know that. So does that mean that coach's kid is playing center mid? And my daughter who was assigned the number 2 is set to play defense without my knowledge. These are u11 girls.

Comment

No dad played baseball and is clueless about soccer

Comment

Number 10= Overrated.

Comment

I do know that. So does that mean that coach's kid is playing center mid? And my daughter who was assigned the number 2 is set to play defense without my knowledge. These are u11 girls.
            Numbers should not mean anything and just look at many of the national teams which have numbers all over the field. Especially at U11 also. I would not be too surprised if you see the coaches daughter at center mid though.

Comment

If dear daughter is number 10, she is center mid. Not shocking coach puts his own kid center mid or striker.

Comment

My son wore the number 10 from u8-u12 then they assigned it to someone else. Just the way the cookie crumbles. Its just a number. Not necessarily the best player on the field though center mid is a very important position should be filled by one of the more skilled players on the team. I have seen some bad ass defenders too who in my opinion don't get the credit they deserve but when they make a little mistake, everyone notices.

Comment

which means your kid will never play center mid as long as you are on that team.
                  coach's kid rules...look! it's in the rule book. honest.

Comment

Cristiano Ronaldo is a legend, and he wears the number 7!

Comment

My son wore the number 10 from u8-u12 then they assigned it to someone else. Just the way the cookie crumbles. Its just a number. Not necessarily the best player on the field though center mid is a very important position should be filled by one of the more skilled players on the team. I have seen some bad ass defenders too who in my opinion don't get the credit they deserve but when they make a little mistake, everyone notices.
                      Told my daughter to wear #14. That number will always be available since no girl
                      would want that number. But all of the coaches will know that is Cruyff's number.

Comment

Told my daughter to wear #14. That number will always be available since no girl
                        would want that number. But all of the coaches will know that is Cruyff's number.
                        Unfortunately 90% of American coaches don't know who the hell is Cruyff the father of modern futbol.

Comment

Unfortunately 90% of American coaches don't know who the hell is Cruyff the father of modern futbol.
                          Interesting way to put it... likely an assumption. Perhaps your poor grammar gives you away as not American.

American coaches know Cruyff, some only for the turn... but American coaches know Barça & they know Cruyff brought the Dutch influence there...

you know, because we have google.

Comment

The numbering system is based primarily on the old english formation:
                            2 3
                            4 5 6
                            7 8 9 10 11

2 backs, 3 mids, 5 forwards (2 wingers, 2 inside forwards, striker)
                            Back when svoring goals was in vogue

The 10 reverence is generally reserved for Pele, who is the worlds greatest inside forward

Now numbering means nothing

Comment

The numbering system is based primarily on the old english formation:
                              2 3
                              4 5 6
                              7 8 9 10 11

2 backs, 3 mids, 5 forwards (2 wingers, 2 inside forwards, striker)
                              Back when svoring goals was in vogue

The 10 reverence is generally reserved for Pele, who is the worlds greatest inside forward

Now numbering means nothing
                              Edit:
                              I might have the #s backward
                              The 5 was your best player on the pitch as center mid.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X