Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do after spending a small fortune on club soccer

and then find out that no one is impressed with your kid enough to offer them a scholarship

Same as I do after spending a larger fortune on skiing.

I wake up, go to work and continue on with my day. Hope my kid had fun and was glad to be in a position to provide that for her. It fostered in her a love of the sport that will last forever, exercise, friendships, and (in the case of soccer) a sense of teamwork that will carry her through her employment.

Glad we didn't get into it for a scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

I wake up, go to work and continue on with my day. Hope my kid had fun and was glad to be in a position to provide that for her. It fostered in her a love of the sport that will last forever, exercise, friendships, and (in the case of soccer) a sense of teamwork that will carry her through her employment.

Great response. It puts the troll in his place, but unfortunately won't end his attempt at making everyone feel bad about themselves. He will never stop, because he's made some horrific choices in his past and needs to make up for it somehow.

Comment

Ditto! We are about to the "end of the line" with club. My son has had an awesome experience, we as a family have had a great time, and it was worth every penny.

It must be miserable for those who got in for the scholarships, only to find out they are next to non-existent, especially on the boys side. If this was the end game, you probably missed the good times.

Comment

and then find out that no one is impressed with your kid enough to offer them a scholarship
          Never spend money on something you can't afford.

Comment

You must be particularly bored today, BTNT.

Comment

Buy a PDL team!

Comment

Buy a PDL team!

When you have too much money and your kid likes to play soccer.

Comment

Never seen someone so obsessed with what others do with their money. Not to mention that the number of people who seriously plan to get a scholarship is tiny, and even smaller is the number who plan to and don't. The latter apparently are the so-called face saver group. 95% of club soccer participants don't expect a college scholarship and are not looking for one. Their participation has zero correlation with an expectation of a college scholarship. This point has been posted ad nauseum by MANY posters but apparently there is a denseness that is impenetrable.

Comment

Never seen someone so obsessed with what others do with their money. Not to mention that the number of people who seriously plan to get a scholarship is tiny, and even smaller is the number who plan to and don't. The latter apparently are the so-called face saver group. 95% of club soccer participants don't expect a college scholarship and are not looking for one. Their participation has zero correlation with an expectation of a college scholarship. This point has been posted ad nauseum by MANY posters but apparently there is a denseness that is impenetrable.
                    While you are up on your sanctimonious high horse did you ever stop to think that there are more than a few people saying the same thing about this PDL parent/kid. You seem to think more than a few people have chimed in about scholarships, so why exactly can't the same be true about this issue? I think of everyone here, YOU are the one personally involved with this. It's probably why you feel the need to defend.

Comment

While you are up on your sanctimonious high horse did you ever stop to think that there are more than a few people saying the same thing about this PDL parent/kid. You seem to think more than a few people have chimed in about scholarships, so why exactly can't the same be true about this issue? I think of everyone here, YOU are the one personally involved with this. It's probably why you feel the need to defend.
                      Absolutely no clue what you are talking about, BTNT. What is being said about a PDL parent? Which thread? PDL hasn't crossed my mental radar in probably 10 years when I went to see the Vermont Voltage play up in VT.

Comment

How about..."and then find out he's not good enuff to make his high school team..." (I guess the upside is the "fortune" is spent was very small indeed by my--cough--standards)

Comment

Can't you achieve the exact same thing for much less? Maybe with town soccer or a different sport? You are talking out of your ass, and you know it.

Comment

So if this happened to you...please do share. If it didnt happen to you, go back in your cave and mind your own business

Comment

Can't you achieve the exact same thing for much less? Maybe with town soccer or a different sport? You are talking out of your ass, and you know it.
                              Not the OP you were asking, but I'll answer for my kids. My kids love Soccer above all other sports, so although they participate in other sports, soccer is the top love. And when you love something, you want to develop to the best they can, and they were both frustrated at the slow, non-technical, and non-committed play at the town travel level. No different than spending extra money to get better and excel at anything you love. Doesn't mean everything you love becomes a career or do you want it to be.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X