Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Not sure I can agree with this as a blanket statement, for all kids at this age. The kid in question probably is not very fast or overly athletic, but may have decent foot and field skills. I'd tend to pick the faster more athletic type. G
    And why would you say this unless you are a parent of a teammate? Classless.

Comment

Why would you believe that Mass should represent more than a third (7/18) of the Boca team? Did Mass put forward more kids into the camp than other states? Saying things like that leads one to believe that you are not objective. I have older kids who have been to Boca several times. When the list comes out yes there will be some teams with more than one player representing region 1 in Florida, but they tend to be the stronger teams too so is it a surprise that these teams are well represented? Politics is over stated by those whose child is not selected in this highly subjective process.

One coach indeed likes the tall fast players, but then the next year the coach likes the technical players regardless of size. I have seen it happen. there is not more than an expected consistency in the rosters. I know for a fact that some of the older ECNL kids who were included last year were not included this year. Without objective metrics (of which there can never can be a completely reliable set) the subjectivity of the process will always be open to criticism. Many coaches are college coaches without preconceived biases, especially at the 03 younger ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Seriously? Potential? This sounds good in theory, but often does not reflect who is selected.

My biggest pet peeve is the idea coaches can pick fast strong athletes and "teach" them soccer. Very rarely can they successfully make up for the youth hours and years spent with a ball at their foot.

Which is why the style and level of play for both men and women is still low. Too great an emphasis on speed and strength over skill and vision.
        These are the words of a rabid delusional parent. Has no idea what a top d1 athlete looks like never mind a world class one. Thinks because their kid picks their head up and sporadically puts a pass in the general vicinity of a teammate that they are something special. They just don't get that their kid isn't even close to being good enough and because of that they are convinced that the fix is in. They haven't a freakin clue which is why they are railing on this site 24/7/365.

The women's game in this country IS the top of the game for women. This guy's problem is he doesn't understand the differences between the genders excepting the obvious, never mind all of the cultural nuances. The women are far more technical than he gives them credit for. He doesn't grasp that the level of precision he is looking for, besides being insanely high, few parents in this country would ever consider letting their child be treated that way in order to produce. You certainly don't get there practicing just 180 minutes a week for 6-8 months out of a year.

The reason men's soccer is where it is in this country is because the county's best athletes play other sports not because we don't know how to train them properly. As they say you just can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop. Go back in time 25 years and pick the best and most accomplished athletes out of today's MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and have them play nothing but soccer all thru their lives and you can bet that the picture would be dramatically different. One thing is certain, there would be a heck of a lot less of today's MLS players playing at this level.

Comment

These are the words of a rabid delusional parent. Has no idea what a top d1 athlete looks like never mind a world class one. Thinks because their kid picks their head up and sporadically puts a pass in the general vicinity of a teammate that they are something special. They just don't get that their kid isn't even close to being good enough and because of that they are convinced that the fix is in. They haven't a freakin clue which is why they are railing on this site 24/7/365.

The women's game in this country IS the top of the game for women. This guy's problem is he doesn't understand the differences between the genders excepting the obvious, never mind all of the cultural nuances. The women are far more technical than he gives them credit for. He doesn't grasp that the level of precision he is looking for, besides being insanely high, few parents in this country would ever consider letting their child be treated that way in order to produce. You certainly don't get there practicing just 180 minutes a week for 6-8 months out of a year.

The reason men's soccer is where it is in this country is because the county's best athletes play other sports not because we don't know how to train them properly. As they say you just can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop. Go back in time 25 years and pick the best and most accomplished athletes out of today's MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and have them play nothing but soccer all thru their lives and you can bet that the picture would be dramatically different. One thing is certain, there would be a heck of a lot less of today's MLS players playing at this level.
          Please the best athlete theory again. In a country of our population that theory should not be relevant. We have enough great athletes playing men's soccer certainly more than Wales or Iceland. Iceland has a population of 300,000 and Connecticut has a population of 3,000,000 but Iceland has a system in place. We have CJSA or CCSL ... Enough said

It's the system and culture that's holding the US back. Not the lack of best athletes.

Comment

And why would you say this unless you are a parent of a teammate? Classless.
            Not a parent of a teammate. Just an opinion. However by your response sounds like I'm correct. Now you have your answer on why others got selected. T

You are probably better served by not coming on this site, playing the victim.

Comment

All bow down to BTNT and his specialness that you will never come close to fathoming. He's worried that even one poster might get away without understanding how special the really special people are. 9 years and counting. Same thing every day.

Comment

Back to topic please. In my D age group you had 8 shots to be called up to ID group. Prob 7 in actual count but..That's a lot of kids left out according to what has been written thus far in terms of 50+ ecnl level players amoung others never called up to get a look onto the nice grass fields.

Comment

Back to topic please. In my D age group you had 8 shots to be called up to ID group. Prob 7 in actual count but..That's a lot of kids left out according to what has been written thus far in terms of 50+ ecnl level players amoung others never called up to get a look onto the nice grass fields.
                  I don't have a daughter. I was wondering if every girl that has potential for playing at a higher level is playing in or has to play in ECNL? Are there any girls that have a chance to make a regional pool w/o playing in ECNL?

Comment

I don't have a daughter. I was wondering if every girl that has potential for playing at a higher level is playing in or has to play in ECNL? Are there any girls that have a chance to make a regional pool w/o playing in ECNL?
                    BTNT, why would you set yourself up so easily and transparently? Aren't you beyond T-ball?

Comment

I was in attendance. Players are positionally marked in such as their state coach and other evaluations prior to the camp. If a player wants to get noticed they need to speak up and set themselves apart and challenge the status quo on the field.

Then for younger age groups there is an expectation that players will stay with the program and be reevaluated as they mature.

With girls DA next year expect Stars and BBA to almost exclusively combine their own players. This may change the pool, maybe dramatically and open up spots. There are some high level evaluators still connected to the NT and great college placement opportunity. Kids seem to hate the early mornings and late days but it's a good bang for the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        Who cares? It's ODP. The road to nowhere except, as someone pointed out, Facebook for those who need it.

Comment

Of course there is.

Comment

I would say yes. More so the league they play in does not really dictate their caliber. If your daughter tried out for ecnl and did not make it BUT appeared to be one of the pack at tryouts you should know there are reasons for not being picked up out of your D control.

Comment

Who cares? It's ODP. The road to nowhere except, as someone pointed out, Facebook for those who need it.
                              Oh so the same as ecnl npl region play etc... I love when moms of Girls on the verge of barely getting B- or C's in school think ecnl will carry them into Harvard.

Comment

Possibly you are a parent who's bought into the '$10k over 10k hrs substitute?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X