Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another great example of sportsmanship

not the first time this has happened obviously...
    http://espn.go.com/espnw/culture/the...k-youth-sports

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It's happened before. It's vile but what can be done?

Don't get me started on the absurdities of youth sports. I'm almost done with it and I can't wait for it to be over.

Comment

I started to watch this online and could tell right away what was happening. Coaches should be suspended for this disgrace.

Comment

so I have heard this has happened before, but seeing it now makes me sick to my stomach. The fact that the coaches, players, and parents must have been ok with it is disturbing enough, but the fact that the referee has to watch this seemingly powerless and the officials of the championship turn a blind eye is simply beyond belief.
        Unreal that they did this for 90 minutes I assume.

Comment

Have only the top team in each group advance. It was two groups of 4. That will help eliminate the problem.

If one looks closer at it, going into the match Syracuse which would have needed a win (which they got) was at a minus 4 GD (GD per game is a max of 4). Ambassador's was at a plus 2. Going into the match Syracuse if they won by at least 4 goals would have needed Ambassador's to lose by 3 goals. (GA was in Ambassador's favor).

The story is getting a little too much airplay. Defintely some facts missing. Now does it make a mockery of the game and competition? Yes.

Comment

Both coaches should be suspended for several years if not for life and both teams ejected from the tournament, both clubs should be suspended from all USYSA tournament play for a number of years. Such gaming a result is cheating and all involved, should be suspended.

As an official, one is endangering one's future by taking action, but under the LOT the referee could warn the teams (coaches), and issue cautions for unsporting behavior and if there was no remediation, terminate the match.

It is within the power of the referee, but one would suspect that any referee(s) that did such would never get to referee another high level game.

USYSA NEEDS TO TAKE ACTION!!! The results are posted and these teams advanced to the semi-finals. Both should be dismissed and no semi-finals need be played. Let those who played honest games play in the championship game.

Officials from all state organizations are present, certainly from CA and OH. It is a disgrace that they are not taking any action.

Soccer is rotting from the head and has spread to USYSA GU18.

Comment

I've seen far lesser players/teams do a better job of playing keep away. Would the ref have the discretion to call the game. Why continue the farse? PAINFUL. Imagine doing all that traveling for that.

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
                Both coaches should be suspended for several years if not for life and both teams ejected from the tournament, both clubs should be suspended from all USYSA tournament play for a number of years. Such gaming a result is cheating and all involved, should be suspended.

As an official, one is endangering one's future by taking action, but under the LOT the referee could warn the teams (coaches), and issue cautions for unsporting behavior and if there was no remediation, terminate the match.

It is within the power of the referee, but one would suspect that any referee(s) that did such would never get to referee another high level game.

USYSA NEEDS TO TAKE ACTION!!! The results are posted and these teams advanced to the semi-finals. Both should be dismissed and no semi-finals need be played. Let those who played honest games play in the championship game.

Officials from all state organizations are present, certainly from CA and OH. It is a disgrace that they are not taking any action.

Oops posted before I read this. I wish the ref would have stopped it so the coaches and players would at least see one person with integrity.

Comment

it looks bad, but these teams played well enough that their fate was in their own hands. they earned the right to play for a tie. it happens, admittedly less obviously, at all levels of the sport. syracuse should have played better and made this game matter for one of these teams.

Comment

it looks bad, but these teams played well enough that their fate was in their own hands. they earned the right to play for a tie. it happens, admittedly less obviously, at all levels of the sport. syracuse should have played better and made this game matter for one of these teams.
                    Agree with your assessment of the situation. The fault lies with organization.

Comment

seriously ?..the fact that people wold even attempt to justify what happened in this game just further confirms how low the game of youth sports and soccer has fallen. Under no circumstances is this ok. Wow...now I actually think the yahoos that talk about what a farce these national "championships" are might actually be right after all if this is what they are.

Comment

Exact same thing happened in BU17 State Cup this past spring. If there were a video of that game available, it would have been indistinguishable from this one, save the sun and gender of the players.

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=145932

Comment

The Stars vs Benifica B17. The refs even called it with 30 minutes left. A lot of complaints with the state doing nothing. What a poor display of sportsmanship. The Stars were defending national champions

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post

So let the game progress so they could ref future "high level games?" And we're supposed to respect refs?

Comment

The Stars vs Benifica B17. The refs even called it with 30 minutes left. A lot of complaints with the state doing nothing. What a poor display of sportsmanship. The Stars were defending national champions
                              Why is it poor sportsmanship?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X