Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes a soccer résumé “strong” in MA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes a soccer résumé “strong” in MA?

I see several posters writing about strong résumés for recruiting.

What would a strong résumé look like?

Do you only need one for quality D1 programs?

Does local DA basically ruin a player’s chance to assemble a strong résumé?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but in general any coach is looking for individual achievement, whether that’s receiving recognition (All American, All State, etc.) or being part of good/championship teams. Having good GPA, SAT, and/or academic honors on your resume also would be a big plus. Every coach would like to see a good resume, not just D1. I don’t see why DA would be a negative. Coaches would recognize DA as a top league (regardless of whatever shade some TS posters throw on DA).

I’d say while a good resume is important, it’s not nearly as important as having great on field performance and references from your club/HS coach. No one in the working world gets hired because of their resume alone. You’ve still got to ace your interview and have good references to get hired. Same for soccer recruiting.

Comment

You need to be a great player. Plain and simple. You need to have it all - speed, aggression, skill and field awareness. You need to communicate well with your teammates. Being an a strong student in honors/AP classes is definitely a plus. From there it’s what your coach has to say about you and the clout of your club/coach plays a role as well.

You know if your a strong candidate when you start getting looks and calls.

Comment

It’s not really about building a resume but you need to be recognized as someon a coach wants to come see based on your team. Yes it’s true that a D1 college coach would much rather go see an ECNL player play than an NPL or NEP players despite what someone may tell you about the unnecessary practice of “chasing patches”. How can they gauge how well you’ll do against a good solid college team when you are just strong in NEP? You may rise but maybe not. So first off you need to be a good player in a strong league.

Comment

DA teams around here are pretty poor so just being an academy player isn't going to help. Move to high school and win some individual accolades.

Comment

DA teams around here are pretty poor so just being an academy player isn't going to help. Move to high school and win some individual accolades.
            Well, that didn’t take long. I was wondering how long it would take a TS “expert” to chime in on DA. Why don’t you leave it up to actual college coaches to determine whether they value DA? I’m sure many consider it a good league and will evaluate your on field performance no matter where you play.

Comment

Well, that didn’t take long. I was wondering how long it would take a TS “expert” to chime in on DA. Why don’t you leave it up to actual college coaches to determine whether they value DA? I’m sure many consider it a good league and will evaluate your on field performance no matter where you play.
              What if you're on a bottom of the table MA DA club?

What if you could play ECNL and high school and become an all-star, all New England or Player of the Year instead?

Comment

Only thing the college coaches care about seeing on your kid’s resume: ECNL 2.

Comment

There is more than one way to be recruited. The prep scjool/club route is another way.

Comment

Having talent is helpful.Patch can only get you so far.

Comment

I have found that high school accolades only matter if you are staying local. No other region cares about high school accolades. They care about club accolades and other select/training accolades.

Comment

They care about club accolades and other select/training accolades.
                        Can you explain what these might be? Are we talking national championships? Aren't there 3-4 different national championships?

Comment

If your kid shows us at an ID Clinic and your kid is best or top 3 in the camp, it does not matter one bit what league your kid plays in.

Comment

What if you're on a bottom of the table MA DA club?

What if you could play ECNL and high school and become an all-star, all New England or Player of the Year instead?
                            Hey, thats my kid. Dont talk about her on TS

Comment

Can you explain what these might be? Are we talking national championships? Aren't there 3-4 different national championships?
                              Yes, National Championship appearances; list them for whatever league you are in. Let the coaches decide. It shows you/your team was at the top of that league. It matters. In ECNL, they have ID selections/PDP selections.
                              You have US select teams like Nike and Generation Adidas for guys and girls. Most MLS players/top picks were on Generation Adidas teams. And then of course you have the USNT selection process; training centers, etc.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X