Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any MA clubs that are 100% non-profit and volunteer run/coached?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I tried it as I was qualified. I ended up stopping after 2 years and tried coaching another team instead. The logistics became too difficult to watch my kid and coach another, so I gave up coaching.

By making a concerted effort to try to NOT favor my kid, I treated her worse without realizing it. It's a difficult position to be in, so I tapped out.

I do help her club coach here and there when asked, but mostly am just a fan.
    Bravo for trying and not letting your ego get in the way. Unfortunately not enough parent coaches have the insight to do so. As the poster said it also just raises so many eyebrows in an environment where parents are already on high alert for any hint of favoritism or possible disadvantage for their kid. From club management perspective I'm not sure it's worth it. Coaching is a tough job when you have a busy family. I know plenty of coaches who have dropped out because the schedules become untenable. It is something you can easily return to later on if you want, or you can make good scratch as a ref with less of a commitment.

Comment

Since when did having a child preclude you from being a coach?
      Now I see the reason for all the lesbian coaches...is there a wave of homosexuals on the way for the men’s side?
      Judging from the tight training pants and haircuts, I suspect most of the young coaches are homosexual...

Comment

Bravo for trying and not letting your ego get in the way. Unfortunately not enough parent coaches have the insight to do so. As the poster said it also just raises so many eyebrows in an environment where parents are already on high alert for any hint of favoritism or possible disadvantage for their kid. From club management perspective I'm not sure it's worth it. Coaching is a tough job when you have a busy family. I know plenty of coaches who have dropped out because the schedules become untenable. It is something you can easily return to later on if you want, or you can make good scratch as a ref with less of a commitment.
        I was the OP who mentioned tapping out. I will say on the flip side, my brother coached my niece in two sports for a while, and soccer until she got to HS. I don't think it was a problem, but he had the mindset to be able to separate it. He also coached in college (different school than she went to).

So, it CAN be done, but you have to realize what your limitations are (and we all have them) and how they fit into a certain activity.

I don't miss it one bit, personally...

Comment

I was the OP who mentioned tapping out. I will say on the flip side, my brother coached my niece in two sports for a while, and soccer until she got to HS. I don't think it was a problem, but he had the mindset to be able to separate it. He also coached in college (different school than she went to).

So, it CAN be done, but you have to realize what your limitations are (and we all have them) and how they fit into a certain activity.

I don't miss it one bit, personally...
          We agree - few parents can do it well so it's best avoided by clubs whenever possible.

Comment

We agree - few parents can do it well so it's best avoided by clubs whenever possible.
            Agree. And, to add, once one finds out they can't or shouldn't be doing it, damage may already be done.

Best to just avoid it, and sorry to the few who could've done it.

Comment

Great discussion guys, thank you. I'm running a volunteer club that has been 100% parent coached until I got involved. We now have our second non-parent coach enlisted and I'm working on more!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X