Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes, I've heard of this happening as well. Awful situation. Resulted in a mad scramble of last minute applications in December. College admissions can be ugly.
    Happened to my kid in a different sport at a NESCAC school. Made for an awful Dec/Jan as we had to start from scratch and pursue regular decision.

Comment

How many students get a bump from soccer to gain admittance to a higher academic school and then not be able to do well academically in that school? Playing a college sport, even at D3s, already takes a big bite out of study/academic time. I suspect the kids who get into schools they wouldn’t have on academics alone, might have a tough time hanging academically. Be careful what you wish for?

Comment

How many students get a bump from soccer to gain admittance to a higher academic school and then not be able to do well academically in that school? Playing a college sport, even at D3s, already takes a big bite out of study/academic time. I suspect the kids who get into schools they wouldn’t have on academics alone, might have a tough time hanging academically. Be careful what you wish for?
        If you're referring to D3 specifically, there is an academic bar (GPA/test scores) the student must pass to be admissible, even with a "tip". The players that are barely able to meet the minimum standard are unlikely to be the strongest students on campus, and may choose to pursue less demanding academic majors, but the minimum standard is set to avoid complete disaster.

Same applies to D1, really, although a D1 recruit may be more significantly off of the average academic level for "regular" students. And for D1 there are more academic supports in place.

Science majors are particularly challenging due to scheduling the labs. If the student is interested in a major that is expected to be more challenging and is barely making the cut as a recruited player, this is definitely an issue worth considering in evaluating school options. Graduating from a "lesser" academic school with a higher GPA and less stressful academic experience might be the better choice.

Comment

Certainly it's preferable to be very much in the wheelhouse of a school academically and athletically. That said, in over 10 years on this site I don't think I've seen a single real story about a tipped kid having serious regrets.

Comment

Certainly it's preferable to be very much in the wheelhouse of a school academically and athletically. That said, in over 10 years on this site I don't think I've seen a single real story about a tipped kid having serious regrets.
            Because like any other level, when a kid has regrets they just transfer and you never hear a peep about that.

Comment

Because like any other level, when a kid has regrets they just transfer and you never hear a peep about that.
              The reference was very clearly associated ("tipped" kids) with D3. Rarely see transfers in D3, especially in the top third of D3 programs.

Comment

The reference was very clearly associated ("tipped" kids) with D3. Rarely see transfers in D3, especially in the top third of D3 programs.
                Nothing but fake news. How would you know whether or not A) some kid was tipped and B) whether they transferred?

Comment

Nothing but fake news. How would you know whether or not A) some kid was tipped and B) whether they transferred?
                  The original issue wasn't so much about being tipped as much as whether reaching a step or 2 above the median of the students at a particular school comes back to haunt kids and whether they end up with regrets. Just saying there is no evidence of that ON THE SITE (irrelevant to what I personally know or don't know), and with the amount of hand-wringing and posts with "the big problem is...", notably ALWAYS on behalf of others with feigned genuine worrying lol you would think we see at least some regret disclosed.

Comment

I'm also pretty familiar with the top 1/4 of D3 and rosters and I haven't seen any evidence of major changes in rosters beyond kids dropping off teams because of not playing much an/or interest waning because of other interests. In general the rosters at top programs are very stable.

Comment

I'm also pretty familiar with the top 1/4 of D3 and rosters and I haven't seen any evidence of major changes in rosters beyond kids dropping off teams because of not playing much an/or interest waning because of other interests. In general the rosters at top programs are very stable.
                      Why are you so sure a tip was involved? Not usually public information. Could as likely be no tips on the roster.

Comment

Why are you so sure a tip was involved? Not usually public information. Could as likely be no tips on the roster.
                        Read.More.Carefully.

I said my comments weren't dependent on tips but rather he more general idea of kids reaching above or stretching in terms of academic ability.

The major point is whether you or anyone else has any evidence from this site about a good number of folks regretting the decisions they have made (given the implication that at least one poster harps on about all the dangers of reaching too high or choosing D3 for a combination of academic and athletic factors.

Comment

While I find the first part of your statement not credible, I do agree with the later part. No doubt it is because in deciding on D3 already makes school a higher priority over the soccer. I also think burnout happens less often in D3 as well because there is a better balance. That keeps the student athlete happier and more likely to last all four years.

Comment

While I find the first part of your statement not credible, I do agree with the later part. No doubt it is because in deciding on D3 already makes school a higher priority over the soccer. I also think burnout happens less often in D3 as well because there is a better balance. That keeps the student athlete happier and more likely to last all four years.
                            Fair enough. Now my real question.

Have you seen any evidence on this site of families/kids being seriously disappointed and regretting their choices (D3, D2, or D1) as some here have insisted they should be or implied that there are scores of such people?

Comment

Fair enough. Now my real question.

Have you seen any evidence on this site of families/kids being seriously disappointed and regretting their choices (D3, D2, or D1) as some here have insisted they should be or implied that there are scores of such people?
                              Regrets over level? No. And face it, for some players the level is decided for them. How many start out wanting D1 and end up D3? Plenty.

I do know kids who regretted their specific school/program choices however. Most often they thought they'd play much more than they did. A good friend's son is grappling with this right now - coach promised plenty of PT but it hasn't played out that way. The kid lives and breathes soccer. So then it becomes a question of do you stay at the school without soccer (or playing very little and hope you don't get cut the next year) or transfer and hope for better? Plenty of non athletes transfer too. Either way the regret doesn't last long as long as the next choice makes them happy in the long run. This too shall pass, as the saying goes.

Comment

You guys need lives

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X