Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Game and College Coach question

Would you contact a college coach to come watch your daughter play in a high school game? Or would you think it is not really an optimal setting for a coach to watch a player based on the level of play? Our high school is playing a game near a college my daughter is interested in. However, her team is not that strong. Worried that the coach might not see her play her best in this situation. Do you think coaches can get anything out of watching high school games? Or should I wait till her next club tournaments?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Would you contact a college coach to come watch your daughter play in a high school game? Or would you think it is not really an optimal setting for a coach to watch a player based on the level of play? Our high school is playing a game near a college my daughter is interested in. However, her team is not that strong. Worried that the coach might not see her play her best in this situation. Do you think coaches can get anything out of watching high school games? Or should I wait till her next club tournaments?
    I'm sure you'll get a lot of cynical replies (over the level of play in high school). If your daughter is a strong player, her quality will show through and coaches will be able to see this. A good coach can tell in just a few moments if a player is worth looking at further. They can tell from the way she composes herself on the field, the way she moves, where she moves and when - all these they look for and can recognize instantly. However, if the game is a low quality game, the coach will likely request to see your daughter in a stronger setting as well. I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to have your daughter seen, especially if it's convenient for the coach. I would be prepared to offer up another game/tournament in their area, should they balk at attending the high school game. The best of luck to your daughter.

Comment

I'm sure you'll get a lot of cynical replies (over the level of play in high school). If your daughter is a strong player, her quality will show through and coaches will be able to see this. A good coach can tell in just a few moments if a player is worth looking at further. They can tell from the way she composes herself on the field, the way she moves, where she moves and when - all these they look for and can recognize instantly. However, if the game is a low quality game, the coach will likely request to see your daughter in a stronger setting as well. I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to have your daughter seen, especially if it's convenient for the coach. I would be prepared to offer up another game/tournament in their area, should they balk at attending the high school game. The best of luck to your daughter.
      I agree with this post. Any time a coach can watch a player is a plus. They can see if she has speed and quickness to go along with the other things already mentioned. Our daughter had quite a few D-II Florida coaches at her high school games over the years.

Comment

Agreed. And it will continue to demonstrate to that coach that your daughter is interested.

It's refreshing to see some TS posters actually taking things seriously.

Comment

Thank you for the input- I was thinking most college coaches could tell a difference regardless of the level of play. Her biggest fear is that she won't get touches on the ball if the other team is that much better, which in this case is possible as we are playing a team out of our district and county. She is a forward, and if the ball never leaves our side of the field, she will not be able to show the coach anything. lol. I am not sure how strong they are, but I am thinking they are pretty strong.

I think it is worth a try- she has two tournaments coming up over break, so she can mention this in her email. Thanks again!!!!

Comment

No! No! No!

You asked "Would you contact..."

Absolutely not. You should not, but YOUR DAUGHTER should definately contact the college coach.

Any contact between the player and the coach is good contact. Coach may or may not come to the game, but they know that the player is interested. Even with poor competition, they can observe the individual skills of the player. If the player is college material, it should be obvious on the field. This may get the coach interested in following up with the player and making an effort to observe the player in a more competitive club environment.

The player should contact the coach and after the game, follow up with the coach - regardless of whether or not the coach actually attended the game. Persistence should be encouraged.

Parents should not be contacting college coaches!

Comment

Originally posted by Observer from FL View Post

Absolutely not. You should not, but YOUR DAUGHTER should definately contact the college coach.

Any contact between the player and the coach is good contact. Coach may or may not come to the game, but they know that the player is interested. Even with poor competition, they can observe the individual skills of the player. If the player is college material, it should be obvious on the field. This may get the coach interested in following up with the player and making an effort to observe the player in a more competitive club environment.

The player should contact the coach and after the game, follow up with the coach - regardless of whether or not the coach actually attended the game. Persistence should be encouraged.

you say that but I've watched them do it over the years and from my vantage point, it was a help to the kid getting recruited.

Comment

Originally posted by Observer from FL View Post

This goes without saying...all contact between my daughter and coaches has been through her.

Comment

I agree with this post. Any time a coach can watch a player is a plus. They can see if she has speed and quickness to go along with the other things already mentioned. Our daughter had quite a few D-II Florida coaches at her high school games over the years.
                  Agree here. I once went with the FSU basketball coaches to watch Bobby Sura play in a high school all-star game. It was like a man against boys thing. But they were impressed with his athleticism, quickness, strength, etc.

Hopefully your daughter will get enough touches to show her physical traits. As far as tactics, well she can pass the ball where it should go but can't control whether her teammate will be able to handle it. My only advice would be to play within herself. Don't try to do too much to compensate for her team. Just play her game.

Comment

Was told by a D1 college coach they would not come watch high school unless it was to see a keeper, as a keeper in high school generally gets more work.

Comment

Makes sense! Our keeper definitely gets a lot of action.

My daughter's concern is that this will be the coach's first impression. She would rather that be a club game. Then she will have an ID camp to follow up.

Comment

My daughter ended up going to a school where the coaches recruited her at her high school games. They never were able to get to a club game. Rest assured that all college coaches believe themselves to be great judges of talent. Attending a high school game will not faze them at all.

The coach from the school where my kid went told her that he made up his mind based on how she acted in pre-game warmups. Remember if a coach is coming to see a kid they will be watching them full time. He was impressed that she warmed up seriously, that she interacted with her teammates -- encouraging them, getting them focused. Coaches are not adverse to looking at kids who may be a captain in a couple of years.

Other posters advice about playing within themselves is good. There can be a tendency for a good player in a high school game to try and take things entirely on themselves - particularly if a college coach is watching. Play hard and smart. Make good runs (even if the ball never gets there), communicate effectively but not over the top.

Check with your A.D. We had a standing arrangement that college coaches could get in for free and had access to the press box if they wanted. They also got free food at the concession stand. You needed an awake ticket taker, but usually coaches are not difficult to spot. We just wanted to make it as easy as possible. If they are going to end up eating junk food it might as well be free junk food.

Comment

Was told by a D1 college coach they would not come watch high school unless it was to see a keeper, as a keeper in high school generally gets more work.
                          I would agree with this too. Most college coaches would not go to see a High School game unless they just happen to be in the area. The level of play is generally so much lower that there is no true way to see how a field player performs under pressure. Yes, in HS they may look in control, fast and skilled but....that is because for the most part many HS players are not travel players. There just is not the high intensity pressure that a good travel game will give.

Comment

Makes sense! Our keeper definitely gets a lot of action.

My daughter's concern is that this will be the coach's first impression. She would rather that be a club game. Then she will have an ID camp to follow up.
                            Of course, there's alot to say about your daughter's comfort level with the high school game. If she's worried about playing a high school game before her possible new college coach then maybe she should wait. However, I recommend contacting the coach and have him/her attend the high school game. As I mentioned before, a college coach can see through any level of play issues. And you can never tell what may happen in the future. You can never tell when that coach may be available again (maybe he/she is not for your next club tourney/ID camp). Maybe your daughter experiences a minor injury and has to sit out the tourney/camp you are referring. In my opinion, never pass up a chance to be seen.

Comment

I would agree with this too. Most college coaches would not go to see a High School game unless they just happen to be in the area. The level of play is generally so much lower that there is no true way to see how a field player performs under pressure. Yes, in HS they may look in control, fast and skilled but....that is because for the most part many HS players are not travel players. There just is not the high intensity pressure that a good travel game will give.
                              I also agree that unless a college coach is in the area, they are probably not going to come to many HS games, though I could see them watching a keeper for the reasons already stated. I disagree with a lot of this post as our HS team, as I believe many in our area are, is made up of mostly high level club players... or as you say, travel. I don't think it would be a waste for college coaches to watch them, but I don't think they have this kind of time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X