Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashely martin - recruits beware!!!

Thanks Dad is right! My "guess" is Ashley Martin's Mom, Dad and Wife are all monitoring this thread and posting praise for poor little Ashely. When you have former players and parents revealing their BAD BAD EXPERIENCES with this man it makes you wonder how the heck he got the job or any job. Oh, I forgot he has a British accent so he excused. lol

Recruits and Parents - If you value your "love for the game" and if you want a "positive student athlete experience" - then stay clear of Ashley Martin.

Why's risk your daughter's SELF ESTEEM ?

Ashley Martin is a bad person and a poor soccer coach in my opinion.

Comment

Every few weeks you revive this post with nothing but drivel. Eventually libel and slander will catch up to you. Seriously, we get that you don't like him and you thought your girl was better than she was... Move on already!

Comment

Sharing opinions and experiences!

There are a lot of good coaches out there and a lot of bad coaches as there are in any line of work. When I get my car repaired I GOOGLE the auto repair shop. When I choose a Dentist I GOOGLE him. If sharing opinions and experience helps others in making decisions then so be it.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          As a former player at this program I can easily say that AMis not a good man. I am not a player that is bitter about playing time I started and played in every match besides when I was hurt. When AM took over in the spring all of the girls were excited and believed in him as a coach. As the fall came around things changed dramatically. He was not the same coach as e was in the spring season. He cut most of all the players Teddy Meyer recruited except the older ones because he knows they will be leaving soon. He has no games scheduled for this coming spring season because he cut too many players and can barely field a team. And he is trying to rebuild a program? He cut me and my minutes would show I played more than most people, also he cut his top goal scorer and he is trying to win games? The players he cut this fall were good academically and clearly did their parts on the field. I can say from personal experience that if your daughter becomes one of his "favorites" she may have a good exeprience. If your daughter is not one of his favorites then she will be cast off as if she means nothing to the team no matter what he said to get you to come the school. I can also say I am not bitter at the man, if anything he did me a favor by cutting me. I should thank him because I woll no longer be miserable while playing soccer. I completey lost my passion for the game because of this man. I am not discouraging anyone to go to this school because I am still returning to flagler not leaving even after my cut. My only advice would be make sure you love the school with or without soccer because he has cut more than half of a team and no one is an exception.
          Of all the posts this one is the one that pulls some real weight.
          :) :) :)

Comment

As a former player at this program I can easily say that AMis not a good man. I am not a player that is bitter about playing time I started and played in every match besides when I was hurt. When AM took over in the spring all of the girls were excited and believed in him as a coach. As the fall came around things changed dramatically. He was not the same coach as e was in the spring season. He cut most of all the players Teddy Meyer recruited except the older ones because he knows they will be leaving soon. He has no games scheduled for this coming spring season because he cut too many players and can barely field a team. And he is trying to rebuild a program? He cut me and my minutes would show I played more than most people, also he cut his top goal scorer and he is trying to win games? The players he cut this fall were good academically and clearly did their parts on the field. I can say from personal experience that if your daughter becomes one of his "favorites" she may have a good exeprience. If your daughter is not one of his favorites then she will be cast off as if she means nothing to the team no matter what he said to get you to come the school. I can also say I am not bitter at the man, if anything he did me a favor by cutting me. I should thank him because I woll no longer be miserable while playing soccer. I completey lost my passion for the game because of this man. I am not discouraging anyone to go to this school because I am still returning to flagler not leaving even after my cut. My only advice would be make sure you love the school with or without soccer because he has cut more than half of a team and no one is an exception.
            I just stumbled upon this thread. Flagler is, or was, a school that my kid considered. The campus is beautiful, the academics are pretty good, and the school is a tremendous bargain in terms of quality. I am not liking reading all of this.

I have often wondered where some of the players have gone. One of the players I noticed missing, and I am familiar with her and have seen her play in some ECNL contests, is a player from the upper Midwest (I do not want to mention her by name or mention her club name) that had a pretty impressive freshman campaign. She is no longer on the roster and I would like to know why. It may have had nothing to do with AM. It could have been the student-athlete? I was just really surprised to see that she was no longer rostered as she was a kid that could have easily played at most DI schools. If anybody reading this is able to tell what player I am talking about and can somehow put her if it is an AM thing as to why she isn't her without, of course, mentioning the player, it would be appreciated. (I guess this is one of the reasons that private messaging would be good here. That is one of the issues with an anonymous forum).

Again, really disappointed and somewhat confused about all I've read here and am wondering it Flagler should be crossed off the list. Though I think it would definitely be silly to cross a school off based on the words of anonymous posters.

Comment

Keep simple

I'm tired of my own club making excuses, and I hate other coaches and DOC making excuses to extend their employment. Honestly, if a college coach is pulling scholarships, the word gets around rather quickly. Recruits do research, and they find out that scholarship get pulled off the internet and friends of friends. It's easy in today's world. The next time they speak with recruits (and parents behind them), they start to say things like "I just don't want to be that far from home", "I was looking to play DI", "It doesn't suit the major I was looking to get into".

What coach in their right mind decides to increase the competition after a 6-10-2 year. First, prove that you're a winner consistently, then improve the competition. Unless soccer coaches are just plain stupid. Football, basketball and baseball programs do it that way. Unless they get a big check at the end of the day. Just please don't make excuses for losing, and man up. "The kids didn't play well", "I had them out of position, because I lost some of my recruits", or "I need to improve the coaching". When teams lose games, coaches blame players, and players blame coaching, or other players. How's this for a novelty, you lost together, and you need to get better next year, or none of us will be back. Try those big boy pants on for size. But, please don't make excuses for losing. A coach's job is to win games. A car salesmen is to sell cars, a teacher is to teach, etc... Just keep it simple.
              Exactly, I could not agree more.
              Keep it simple and no excuses!!!

Comment

You totally missed the point. who cares if the verbal commitment was rescinded there was no written contract at that point. if the coach wants to ruin his or the schools reputation by rescinding offers why does that bother you? let them do it because it will prove your point once recruits stop showing interest and the programs begin to falter. coaching is just like any other job, some people are good and some are bad just have to let their work show for it. an verbal offer of a walk on is still verbal commitment, it is just that a walk on spot to the team.
                Is it legal with the NCAA rescind offers? Just wondering the legalities of pulling or revoking scholarships.

Comment

Do they have scholarships at Flagler College ?

Comment

Yes....it's D2.

Comment

Recycle em?

Flagler has alot of scholarships. From what I can gather it sounds like they give them out, then take them back... Sounds like too much drama!

Comment

Is it legal with the NCAA rescind offers? Just wondering the legalities of pulling or revoking scholarships.
                        There is no "pulling or revoking" of scholarships. Sholarships are a one year contract between the student and the school that must be resigned every year. Nothing was pulled or revoked, there were players that were not offered second/third years.

Comment

Alumni Game ?

Gee, now I see why there is no alumni game.

Comment

I just stumbled upon this thread. Flagler is, or was, a school that my kid considered. The campus is beautiful, the academics are pretty good, and the school is a tremendous bargain in terms of quality. I am not liking reading all of this.

I have often wondered where some of the players have gone. One of the players I noticed missing, and I am familiar with her and have seen her play in some ECNL contests, is a player from the upper Midwest (I do not want to mention her by name or mention her club name) that had a pretty impressive freshman campaign. She is no longer on the roster and I would like to know why. It may have had nothing to do with AM. It could have been the student-athlete? I was just really surprised to see that she was no longer rostered as she was a kid that could have easily played at most DI schools. If anybody reading this is able to tell what player I am talking about and can somehow put her if it is an AM thing as to why she isn't her without, of course, mentioning the player, it would be appreciated. (I guess this is one of the reasons that private messaging would be good here. That is one of the issues with an anonymous forum).

Again, really disappointed and somewhat confused about all I've read here and am wondering it Flagler should be crossed off the list. Though I think it would definitely be silly to cross a school off based on the words of anonymous posters.
                            So.......there may or may not be a player from somewhere in the middle of the Country who may or may not have been offered another year of scholarship $$ or she may or may not have left on her own for greener pastures.......?

Comment

There is no "pulling or revoking" of scholarships. Sholarships are a one year contract between the student and the school that must be resigned every year. Nothing was pulled or revoked, there were players that were not offered second/third years.
                              So a kid is recruited- picks Flagler over other small colleges- plays thru their sophomore college season, is a part of a struggling program - puts in the work - then gets cut? Not just one or two players, but almost half the squad? Really? Who's jerking who's chain here. Flagler College should be ashamed of the way they have allowed AM to do things. Perhaps a long to this forum should be sent to ever member on the colleges board of trustees. Also the alumni and booster need to be aware of this.
                              If Flagler is NON- PROFIT CORP - board members & trustees are accessible. You can find it all online in about 10 minutes. More than likely the POWERS THAT BE ATE UNAWARE. Institutional black eyes are something that small private schools look to avoid.

Comment

I've seen several people quote the above post as the best example of good info and objective discussion on this topic. I would have to disagree. The poster says that she is not bitter, but yet further along says that she was "cut" from the team. Can I get a show of hands for those who actually believe that this player was a starter, played significant minutes, was cut - and is not bitter? Something in that equation is off.

My daughter considered Flagler - it was in her top 5 schools. We both spoke with AM and came away with the feeling that he is determined to turn the program around after several down years. After also talking to some of the current players on the team, it seems that some of the ones that were not brought back did not want to put the work in and/or thought they were better then the rest of the team. Some of these players were on full or almost full scholarships. Giving the wrong girls full scholarships is one of the quickest ways to turn a decent program into a bottom dweller - which is where Flagler has been for the last several years. If I'm not mistaken, this will actually be AM's first recruiting class, so we'll see who he brings in and the results will speak for themselves.

For what it's worth, my daughter ended up signing with another school because Flagler is too close to home (Jacksonville) and she wanted a semblance of independance, away from her parents - but still close enough to drive home on the weekends if she wants to.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X