Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice For Developing Young Players

My son, who is about to turn 6, has shown interest in soccer. Obviously, at this point I’m keeping things fun and letting him dictate what he wants to do, with no pressure.

While I ended up playing tennis throughout my youth, I did grow up in a country that has a strong focus on soccer. There, even starting at 5, kids that want to play soccer join local clubs and are trained by coaches (typically not parents). In other words, kids are getting the technical fundamentals from an experienced source starting a young age. It’s not just tossing the ball and having them play scrimmages couple times a week. By the time the kids are around 10 years old (if they decided to stick with it), they have a relatively strong fundamental and technical understanding of the game.

I realize that the model here in the US, especially in Florida, is very different and starts off with recreational soccer led by parent-coaches (without much or any involvement by the professional staff), which has its minuses and benefits.

My question is, how did you manage this process and get your kids the proper exposure/training between the ages of 5-10? Was it recreational soccer only, and if so, was it supplemented by anything else? Did you just train with your kids on your own? I don’t mean hardcore training, but taking the time to teach them the proper way to play, not just scrimmages or red/green light. There doesn’t seem to be much available other than recreational soccer at these young ages.

Just looking for some guidance and suggestions on how to navigate these next few years, if my son continues to show an interest (which he may not).

Thanks!

you are either a troll or a complete moron welcome to the site tard

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My son, who is about to turn 6, has shown interest in soccer. Obviously, at this point I’m keeping things fun and letting him dictate what he wants to do, with no pressure.

While I ended up playing tennis throughout my youth, I did grow up in a country that has a strong focus on soccer. There, even starting at 5, kids that want to play soccer join local clubs and are trained by coaches (typically not parents). In other words, kids are getting the technical fundamentals from an experienced source starting a young age. It’s not just tossing the ball and having them play scrimmages couple times a week. By the time the kids are around 10 years old (if they decided to stick with it), they have a relatively strong fundamental and technical understanding of the game.

I realize that the model here in the US, especially in Florida, is very different and starts off with recreational soccer led by parent-coaches (without much or any involvement by the professional staff), which has its minuses and benefits.

My question is, how did you manage this process and get your kids the proper exposure/training between the ages of 5-10? Was it recreational soccer only, and if so, was it supplemented by anything else? Did you just train with your kids on your own? I don’t mean hardcore training, but taking the time to teach them the proper way to play, not just scrimmages or red/green light. There doesn’t seem to be much available other than recreational soccer at these young ages.

Just looking for some guidance and suggestions on how to navigate these next few years, if my son continues to show an interest (which he may not).

Thanks!
      You seem like a very nice, educated, caring parent who is looking for quality advice for your son....this site is not for you.

Comment

Thanks!

let him have fun at age 9 if he is any good sign up for local travel club that simple

Comment

Awwww we have a newbie!!

Welcome to hell!

Just an FYI this is where the worst of us congregate! Welcome neophyte!

Since you seem nice I will give you a real answer. Its all a giant sh1tstorm where you will struggle mightily to get any proper education or training. If you are familiar enough with the game, teach them things you deem important yourself, and more importantly watch a lot of soccer (the European stuff... not this MLS or NASL garbage). Stick with Rec until the kid is just so much better than everyone around him that the need for better competition is obvious. Switching any earlier, or for any other reason is really just a waste of money. Depending on where you are, many clubs are running their own rec programs as well, so the coaching can be marginally better than daddy-coaches would be in some cases.

Comment

Awwww we have a newbie!!

Welcome to hell!

Just an FYI this is where the worst of us congregate! Welcome neophyte!

Since you seem nice I will give you a real answer. Its all a giant sh1tstorm where you will struggle mightily to get any proper education or training. If you are familiar enough with the game, teach them things you deem important yourself, and more importantly watch a lot of soccer (the European stuff... not this MLS or NASL garbage). Stick with Rec until the kid is just so much better than everyone around him that the need for better competition is obvious. Switching any earlier, or for any other reason is really just a waste of money. Depending on where you are, many clubs are running their own rec programs as well, so the coaching can be marginally better than daddy-coaches would be in some cases.
            Bless your heart you POS, you are spot on. There is hope on TS after all. Now go f*ck off loser!!

Comment

You seem like a very nice, educated, caring parent who is looking for quality advice for your son....this site is not for you.
              This is a great post!

Comment

Thanks!
                Don't go to Armada youth soccer academy!

Comment

Thanks!
                  Take him to another country. They'll destroy what Talent he has over here.

Comment

Went to the beach every chance we could and practiced in the sand at a very young age. Always had kids and young adults who would come and pic up play with us. It was always fun.

Comment

Went to the beach every chance we could and practiced in the sand at a very young age. Always had kids and young adults who would come and pic up play with us. It was always fun.
                      True dat. Not much fun in soccer after 13 unless you get a medal. And that lasts about 15 minutes. Hour plus at Disney as you wait in line for a picture with Donald Duck.

Comment

Thanks!
                        Just what we need some pansy ass panty wearing tennis player dad who loves balls wanting to introduce his son to a real sport. Better sign him up for knitting where he belongs

Comment

He said soccer not wrestling

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X