Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Individual Training

How much time does your kid spend training alone outside of team training? My kid is 13 and I don't think she puts in enough time. Her team trains 75 minutes 3 x a week. How often should they be training alone?? One hour a week. 10 hours a week? What skills should be worked on? Thanks

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How much time does your kid spend training alone outside of team training? My kid is 13 and I don't think she puts in enough time. Her team trains 75 minutes 3 x a week. How often should they be training alone?? One hour a week. 10 hours a week? What skills should be worked on? Thanks
    Her off days she should be working on foot skills and/or conditioning. Let her decide how much, otherwise you'll become that typical helicopter parent who sucks the life and joy out of her love for the game.

Comment

Her off days she should be working on foot skills and/or conditioning. Let her decide how much, otherwise you'll become that typical helicopter parent who sucks the life and joy out of her love for the game.
      I totally agree, and something as simple as just juggling the ball will benefit her. Also, recovery days are just as important as practice days.

Comment

I totally agree, and something as simple as just juggling the ball will benefit her. Also, recovery days are just as important as practice days.
        ^^^ two above posts are good. The players has to want it and do it on their own. Inner drive makes a player want to be a better player.

Comment

Pick up games with friends can be better than drills.

Comment

Some great answers have been posted.

How much they should train on their own is dependent on their individual goals. What is The Player’s goal? How important is it to Them? What are They willing to sacrifice to reach their goals? The answers to these questions are the most important thing to deciding how much and what they need to train.

After the parent understands The Player’s answers to the above questions, the parent needs to ask themselves two equally important questions...how realistic are their goals? What am I will do to help them achieve their goals?

Comment

Some great answers have been posted.

How much they should train on their own is dependent on their individual goals. What is The Player’s goal? How important is it to Them? What are They willing to sacrifice to reach their goals? The answers to these questions are the most important thing to deciding how much and what they need to train.

After the parent understands The Player’s answers to the above questions, the parent needs to ask themselves two equally important questions...how realistic are their goals? What am I will do to help them achieve their goals?
              I would like to add....that your original post says....

“I don’t think she puts in enough time.”

Do you know what her goals are? Start with that answer and then we can move forward.

Comment

Seconding the recommendation of pick up games. My son never trained alone by himself, but played with his older brothers in the yard and after age 14 in a local Hispanic pick up game with adults. It worked for us, he's doing well in the college recruiting years now.

Also -- my #1 advice: pay attention to burnout!! We took the entire summer off soccer, with the exception of one or two weeks at an mls rds camp.

Comment

I'm gonna drill in on the "I don't think she spends enough time" part...

If you think that, then likely she is not spending enough time to make the NT or a PRO squad in the future.

If she doesn't WANT to spend that kind of time on the sport, then you would be an idiot to pay for hours of forced one-on-one training as she likely does not have the love of the game to ever make it big.

If you force the issue before the desire is there, you will just ruin it for her.

Enjoy that you aren't dumping a car payment into personal training every month yet and go buy yourself a drink or two during practice tonight

Comment

If it's serious there is no limit to training and playing. It should be every day as much as physically possible. Otherwise anything less is mediocre.

Comment

If it's serious there is no limit to training and playing. It should be every day as much as physically possible. Otherwise anything less is mediocre.
                      If it's serious the player will want it and already be doing it. That old phrase "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" is spot on for this situation.

Comment

I'm gonna drill in on the "I don't think she spends enough time" part...

If you think that, then likely she is not spending enough time to make the NT or a PRO squad in the future.

If she doesn't WANT to spend that kind of time on the sport, then you would be an idiot to pay for hours of forced one-on-one training as she likely does not have the love of the game to ever make it big.

If you force the issue before the desire is there, you will just ruin it for her.

Enjoy that you aren't dumping a car payment into personal training every month yet and go buy yourself a drink or two during practice tonight
                        Appreciate the advice from everyone. She is a soccer junkie. She watches more PL and Bundesliga than any kid I know. She wants to play in college and frequently talks about NT camps. She's a great finisher and her skills are very good. She made DA and ECNL teams but decided she wants to play with her friends at current club. When she was younger she always had a ball at her feet. Ever since she became a teenager she spends more time on her I-pad and phone and it drives me nuts. The passion still seems to be there. She trains hard at team training and plays hard in all games and likes to win. Coaches and parents are always telling her how great she is and I think this is part of the problem. You know the " everyone tells me I'm good, why do I need more practice". I'm the only one that is honest with her about how hard it is to advance to elite levels in sport. I know she should be putting in more time and focusing on skill and fitness but not sure how much time other kids her age are putting in. I just have a hard time being that Father that pushes too hard. We train together occasionally and I try to make it fun but the minute I try to correct something or tell her she needs to do something better the attitude appears and things go south from there. The money point is a big one too. My wife doesn't get it. She gets pissed off too because I don't see the point of spending all this money on privates and travel if she doesn't give 100% and ends up quitting at 16-17. Maybe I am expecting too much because of my experiences but when you constantly hear I'm going to a NT camp and going to play for NC while she lays on the couch watching people shove food down their throat on youtube, it makes me crazy. Also, she has her own field in the backyard. Goals, re-bounders, balls, cones, hurdles, ladders etc. Which will soon be going up for sale if anyone is interested because the only time she uses it is when I tell her she needs more touches. I really don't think I need to be telling her. It she sould be doing it on her own. Keep the advice coming. Tell me if I'm the A-hole and need to back off. I would really like to see her train another 5-6 hours a week on her own. That would put her around 9-10 hours a week. I really dont think that is asking too much for someone that wants to play at a high level. Thanks again for all the advice.

Comment

Appreciate the advice from everyone. She is a soccer junkie. She watches more PL and Bundesliga than any kid I know. She wants to play in college and frequently talks about NT camps. She's a great finisher and her skills are very good. She made DA and ECNL teams but decided she wants to play with her friends at current club. When she was younger she always had a ball at her feet. Ever since she became a teenager she spends more time on her I-pad and phone and it drives me nuts. The passion still seems to be there. She trains hard at team training and plays hard in all games and likes to win. Coaches and parents are always telling her how great she is and I think this is part of the problem. You know the " everyone tells me I'm good, why do I need more practice". I'm the only one that is honest with her about how hard it is to advance to elite levels in sport. I know she should be putting in more time and focusing on skill and fitness but not sure how much time other kids her age are putting in. I just have a hard time being that Father that pushes too hard. We train together occasionally and I try to make it fun but the minute I try to correct something or tell her she needs to do something better the attitude appears and things go south from there. The money point is a big one too. My wife doesn't get it. She gets pissed off too because I don't see the point of spending all this money on privates and travel if she doesn't give 100% and ends up quitting at 16-17. Maybe I am expecting too much because of my experiences but when you constantly hear I'm going to a NT camp and going to play for NC while she lays on the couch watching people shove food down their throat on youtube, it makes me crazy. Also, she has her own field in the backyard. Goals, re-bounders, balls, cones, hurdles, ladders etc. Which will soon be going up for sale if anyone is interested because the only time she uses it is when I tell her she needs more touches. I really don't think I need to be telling her. It she sould be doing it on her own. Keep the advice coming. Tell me if I'm the A-hole and need to back off. I would really like to see her train another 5-6 hours a week on her own. That would put her around 9-10 hours a week. I really dont think that is asking too much for someone that wants to play at a high level. Thanks again for all the advice.
                          Well...I was the poster that emphasized identifying the players goals and going forward from there.

I don’t think you are an a55hole. Sounds like you love your daughter and see some potential and you don’t want to see her waste it and have her miss out on her goals because she didn’t go all in to reach them. That’s understandable.

Some thoughts...have her verbalize and write down her Soccer goals both short term and long term. Then she’s taking ownership of them. If they really are to play in a NT camp or play for UNC, then she is going to need a reality check on what that is going to take. She’s not even close to the commitment needed. You have to put her in touch with a 3rd party (not you, you’re her parent a know nothing) that has seen the hard work and dedication that level of success requires. There are some coaches that can speak with her via Skype. Lots that do remote training and programming.

Sounds like you’ve already done your part facilitating her potential training happening. Field, training tools, etc....either she doesn’t realize what it takes or she doesn’t really want it.

Comment

You must have a lot of time on your hands to write this

Comment

You must have a lot of time on your hands to write this
                              seems like a nice guy, but I think he is a helicopter even if he isn't trying to be one.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X