Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I was kind of thinking Timbers' League should pay the parents back for cancelling a game after 30 minutes because the referee couldn't communicate with a/r and coach.
    There's nothing to communicate. The coach broke the rules (came onto the pitch during the game) for the first yellow, then said something bad enough to get sent off and be characterized as VC. If that coach doesn't know the rules, he shouldn't be coaching in a paid position. Now, maybe the VC part is debatable, that's between the ref and the coach as nobody actually knows what was said or how it was said. My ASSumption is that it was something along the lines of a threat to injure the ref since he's not "protecting" the players (not his job to protect players BTW)

Comment

My kids are refs, if a coach assaults one of them while I'm at the match a suspension will be the least of his worries!

Comment

There's nothing to communicate. The coach broke the rules (came onto the pitch during the game) for the first yellow, then said something bad enough to get sent off and be characterized as VC. If that coach doesn't know the rules, he shouldn't be coaching in a paid position. Now, maybe the VC part is debatable, that's between the ref and the coach as nobody actually knows what was said or how it was said. My ASSumption is that it was something along the lines of a threat to injure the ref since he's not "protecting" the players (not his job to protect players BTW)
        Witnesses said coach did not enter field rather he left technical area and ref lost his ****.

And you wrong on referee’s role in player safety - ref’s number one responsibility is to protect the players: https://bsbproduction.s3.amazonaws.c...uth_soccer.pdf

Comment

Witnesses said coach did not enter field rather he left technical area and ref lost his ****.

And you wrong on referee’s role in player safety - ref’s number one responsibility is to protect the players: https://bsbproduction.s3.amazonaws.c...uth_soccer.pdf
          Which witnesses?

UPDX players?
          OTFC players?
          UPDX parents/spectators?
          OTFC parents/spectators?
          The ARs?
          Other coaches or officials for either team?

Is this official testimony before the OYSA hearing, or the opinion of persons at the match, relayed to club officials?

While if the coach was wronged, I support righting the wrong, and the account given above is believable--but it does sound here like UPDX club officials are selectively leaking details of what is essentially a private proceeding, and/or presenting personal opinions from their own sideline as though it is testimony. The only ones privy to the proceedings, after all, are UPDX officials, the ref(s) in question, and OYSA staff. I'd be surprised if the opposite coach is involved, let alone any players or parents, other than as a witness who gives testimony and then leaves.

Has there been a final ruling on the matter? Has a finding of "violent conduct" been upheld by OYSA? Was the aforementioned witness account submitted to OYSA?

Comment

Which witnesses?

UPDX players?
            OTFC players?
            UPDX parents/spectators?
            OTFC parents/spectators?
            The ARs?
            Other coaches or officials for either team?

Is this official testimony before the OYSA hearing, or the opinion of persons at the match, relayed to club officials?

While if the coach was wronged, I support righting the wrong, and the account given above is believable--but it does sound here like UPDX club officials are selectively leaking details of what is essentially a private proceeding, and/or presenting personal opinions from their own sideline as though it is testimony. The only ones privy to the proceedings, after all, are UPDX officials, the ref(s) in question, and OYSA staff. I'd be surprised if the opposite coach is involved, let alone any players or parents, other than as a witness who gives testimony and then leaves.

Has there been a final ruling on the matter? Has a finding of "violent conduct" been upheld by OYSA? Was the aforementioned witness account submitted to OYSA?
            So many questions. Someone asked for witnesses take so they were shared - unfiltered (except name of coach was replaced with coach except where missed). None of those witnesses described the coach entering the field; none of them could hear what was said; in at least one case they conveyed what the a/r told them (basically disagreement about whether a sub has been requesting and coach leaving technical area during injury - but you can read those accounts above).

So much inaccurate speculation - that can permanently do damage to a coach - just correcting the record that is t-s.

If you want the ref reports or opposing coach statement, that is up to the league to release if they are so inclined. Given their last communication/apology I do not think they are inclined.

Comment

I've been around the youth game for 20+ years and I have not once seen a coach thrown out for leaving the technical area at the youth level. There is always something else along with this (either verbal/physical). its amazing how people are trying to down play this. just leaving the techincal area does not result in an 8 game ban, period. But hey good try.

Comment

If you want the ref reports or opposing coach statement, that is up to the league to release if they are so inclined. Given their last communication/apology I do not think they are inclined.
                Stop being a bad coach apologist. End referee abuse. Stop blaming referees. That coach was out of line. So is the parent that's the teacher talking to the referee; and everyone who thinks that's ok.

Your D1 Blue team is "recreation" soccer and some parents need a reality check.

Comment

Stop being a bad coach apologist. End referee abuse. Stop blaming referees. That coach was out of line. So is the parent that's the teacher talking to the referee; and everyone who thinks that's ok.

Your D1 Blue team is "recreation" soccer and some parents need a reality check.
                  You have no idea what happened - you were not at the game, have not read the referees reports, or the statements of each coach.

You have seen the parents’ summary and you seem unwilling to take that at face value.

But you are showing how damaging the original (unsubstantiated) report was by timbers’ league.

Comment

You have no idea what happened - you were not at the game, have not read the referees reports, or the statements of each coach.

You have seen the parents’ summary and you seem unwilling to take that at face value.

But you are showing how damaging the original (unsubstantiated) report was by timbers’ league.
                    Calling BS....

Still an 8 match ban.

If it's all good, why still banned?

When is this clarification coming out you claim? All I've seen is the addition of the word "alleged referee assault" from "referee assault."

When is the ban rescinded?

When is the direction, clarification, etc. going out to referees.

Is UPDX having to pay a fine?

Comment

Calling BS....

Still an 8 match ban.

If it's all good, why still banned?

When is this clarification coming out you claim? All I've seen is the addition of the word "alleged referee assault" from "referee assault."

When is the ban rescinded?

When is the direction, clarification, etc. going out to referees.

Is UPDX having to pay a fine?
                      Call bs all you want - you have no idea what happened and still choose to editorialize away.

Comment

Call bs all you want - you have no idea what happened and still choose to editorialize away.
                        Tell us what really happened then....and why is OYSA still upholding the ban?

Did the referee overreact?

Did OYSA incorrectly apply a ban?

Is OYSA out of control?

Did the coach violate ANY rules?

Should the coach have been dismissed?

Is it time for UPDX to start their own league?

Comment

Tell us what really happened then....and why is OYSA still upholding the ban?

Did the referee overreact?

Did OYSA incorrectly apply a ban?

Is OYSA out of control?

Did the coach violate ANY rules?

Should the coach have been dismissed?

Is it time for UPDX to start their own league?
                          ask Westside - they know everything

Comment

ask Westside - they know everything
                            Why are you dragging another club into your ridiculousness? Talk about deflection.

Red cards are public for a reason. If a player or coach loses control to the degree that they are red carded, there should be an element of public "shame" to that. Hopefully that will encourage the player/coach to behave better in the future.

There is a process for a coach or player to appeal and in some cases get a red card overturned. If that process is happening, and if the coach's punishment is waived or reduced, I'm quite sure the club's propoganda machine will be on here telling everyone. In the meantime, trying to argue or deflect, especially by pointing fingers at another club, speaks to the character of UPDX.

And to whatever OYSA honks are reading this, your original email was disgraceful. Calling the incident a "tragedy" made it sound like someone was seriously injured. Your communication with your customers (and that's what we are) should be factual and informational. Save the hyperbole for your personal social media posts - not your professional work communication.

Comment

And either a) you don't either, and are blowing smoke and spreading FUD, or b) you do know and aren't telling--and quite possibly spinning things in a different way.

Assuming he didn't actually threaten or injure a referee, I do feel a bit sorry for the coach. I hope he learned a lesson (and not the wrong one), but I hope he continues to have a successful career in youth soccer. Too bad he works for a club that is perpetually dishonest in its dealings with the rest of the Oregon soccer community.

Comment

Why are you dragging another club into your ridiculousness? Talk about deflection.
                                A few UPDX officials, especially the technical director, seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Westside Timbers. I don't know why--I don't recall anyone from BSC or NEU ever behaving in this fashion. Maybe Cony made someone (or someone's kid) run up the sand dune too many times.

But Westside certainly aren't the ones calling the shots at OYSA.

Red cards are public for a reason. If a player or coach loses control to the degree that they are red carded, there should be an element of public "shame" to that. Hopefully that will encourage the player/coach to behave better in the future.
                                Especially coaches. For children, especially younger ones, I can see a good reason to keep the names private.

There is a process for a coach or player to appeal and in some cases get a red card overturned. If that process is happening, and if the coach's punishment is waived or reduced, I'm quite sure the club's propoganda machine will be on here telling everyone. In the meantime, trying to argue or deflect, especially by pointing fingers at another club, speaks to the character of UPDX.
                                Agreed. There are lots of good people at UPDX, but the fish rots from the head down.

And to whatever OYSA honks are reading this, your original email was disgraceful. Calling the incident a "tragedy" made it sound like someone was seriously injured. Your communication with your customers (and that's what we are) should be factual and informational. Save the hyperbole for your personal social media posts - not your professional work communication.
                                Agreed with this. At a minimum, no editorial commentary on the incident should have been made prior to the investigation. And then the results of the investigation should have been presented, or those parts that can be made public. And then some commentary would have been appropriate--based on the publicly-released factual findings, only. The way this was handled has the potential to severely damage a coach's career. If OYSA wants to make an example of an out-of-control coach abusing referees, a head to mount on a pike as a warning to all the others, it sounds like this was not a good one to choose.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X