X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Here is my cents on this ..

If the team is elite (well balanced with extremely well developed players) then it makes sense to move to 11v11 at U12 (maybe half way in the year) but looking at some teams out there including DI and most specifically on DII teams .. obviously the kids need more ball touches to improve their ball handling skills and their overall game. Putting them on 11v11 filed does not make any sense and slows down their development.
    I agree with this 100%. Players need as many touches as possibla nd putting kids on bigger fields with more players against older kids is just plain dumb. The only reason this is happening in America is because parents don't understand the game and how to have their child evolve in the game. here is a link to what the FA says: (if link doesnt work, google search "at what age do european clubs have the kids play 11v11"
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...73231344,d.cGU
    Like the FA coaching course states, kids should play 9v9 until 15 as much as possible for more touches and understanding of tactics. If parents would stop acting like they know how the game works, then maybe our kids could develop with more understanding of the game. I pulled my kid from FC florida this year when I heard they are pushing the u12 boys to 11 a side because they are considered elite. what a joke. i wis them all the luck, but I will stick with what has been proven to work.

Comment

I agree with this 100%. Players need as many touches as possibla nd putting kids on bigger fields with more players against older kids is just plain dumb. The only reason this is happening in America is because parents don't understand the game and how to have their child evolve in the game. here is a link to what the FA says: (if link doesnt work, google search "at what age do european clubs have the kids play 11v11"
      http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...73231344,d.cGU
      Like the FA coaching course states, kids should play 9v9 until 15 as much as possible for more touches and understanding of tactics. If parents would stop acting like they know how the game works, then maybe our kids could develop with more understanding of the game. I pulled my kid from FC florida this year when I heard they are pushing the u12 boys to 11 a side because they are considered elite. what a joke. i wis them all the luck, but I will stick with what has been proven to work.
      I do not agree with a lot of posts, but this one is on the money.

Comment

Something good that came up from this discussion .. 9v9!! I like this a lot better than the 8v8.
        You can create a nice formation really simulating 11v11 as far as positioning
        3-2-3, can utilize the two backs in the corners with a center back
        two midfielders, right and left
        two wingers and a center forward

the 8v8 has some constraints forces you to use either only one true inside midfielder to maintain a nice front line of 3 OR to use only two defenders.

Comment

Something good that came up from this discussion .. 9v9!! I like this a lot better than the 8v8.
          You can create a nice formation really simulating 11v11 as far as positioning
          3-2-3, can utilize the two backs in the corners with a center back
          two midfielders, right and left
          two wingers and a center forward

the 8v8 has some constraints forces you to use either only one true inside midfielder to maintain a nice front line of 3 OR to use only two defenders.
          You are 100% correct. 8v8 forces you to choose either 2 midfielders, with one attacking and one holding, and 2 defenders, or 1 midfielder with 3 defenders. Most of the time, the choice to win is going with 3 defenders. This does little to develop midfield play. 9v9 does develop midfielders and the demands on kids is much less than 11v11.

Comment

Foolish not to be playing small sided until U13.

Comment

Foolish not to be playing small sided until U13.
              The concern just isn't for Soccer develpment but also health. Putting too much strain on the body during growth spurts is not healthy. Lots of joint injuries happen when thier bodies are pushed too hard.

Comment

all the top u12 boys teams are moving to 11v11 this year. not sure it the right thing but from the preseason tournaments it looks like this is the case

Comment

all the top u12 boys teams are moving to 11v11 this year. not sure it the right thing but from the preseason tournaments it looks like this is the case
                  that response is exactly why the foreign clubs will outperform our clubs. we are the u12 teams going that direction? would it be because the DOC's dont want to lose players so they give in tot he pressure of the parents who think they know what they are talking about? you said' "based on preseason tournaments", that doesn't mean it is right. you sound like a person that is afraid to have their child miss out on something, even though you see the sense in this discussion. the other message that should be taken from this, is wins and losses should not matter, but we should see heart and effort. what should matter is you see the player developing with personal skills and understanding of where to go with the ball, and what to do off the ball. if that is improving and they are winning, great. if they are doing that and losing, so be it. Wins and losses shouldnt matter until 15 or 16.

Comment

Here is my cents on this ..

If the team is elite (well balanced with extremely well developed players) then it makes sense to move to 11v11 at U12 (maybe half way in the year) but looking at some teams out there including DI and most specifically on DII teams .. obviously the kids need more ball touches to improve their ball handling skills and their overall game. Putting them on 11v11 filed does not make any sense and slows down their development.
                    Our team played 8v8 as an advanced team for more touches during the regular season, then we played up u13 div1 on the big field for major tournaments and won. Then our team broke up! Lol so beware!

Comment

At some point you have to play 11 v 11 U12 or U13 so just get ready it is what it is. I thought the professional trainers in soccer say by age 13 your kid has learned most everthing they can in skill so its time to move on to tactical training you cannot turn back time I am sure they can learn a few more skill moves they just need to work on it hours on hours !

Comment

The problem I see is the parents push the kids up at younger ages and guess what then they start to understand there kid is not getting the touches in a larger format. The kids skill starts to fall then he or she is not the star so they ask the questions why dont we play 8 v 8 etc..... That seems to be the real issue hear.

Comment

The problem I see is the parents push the kids up at younger ages and guess what then they start to understand there kid is not getting the touches in a larger format. The kids skill starts to fall then he or she is not the star so they ask the questions why dont we play 8 v 8 etc..... That seems to be the real issue hear.
                          Here's the issue, the majority of parents only engage in soccer with the mandatory practices and games. If you are doing that, your kid is going to fall behind in any type of soccer. You need to make sure that outside of practice and games that the child is working with the ball non stop. Meaning anytime he is walking around, any time he or she is not doing anything, they need to be getting touches on the ball. Also practice at the club should involve many touches, short sided games and a minimum or 3 nights a week. A game, you are talking about 2 to 3 hours at the most, so for all the other hours during the week that they should be mastering their soccer skills, it is not much time. Heck, your kids play more xbox or are on social media many more hours than that.

Comment

Here's the issue, the majority of parents only engage in soccer with the mandatory practices and games. If you are doing that, your kid is going to fall behind in any type of soccer. You need to make sure that outside of practice and games that the child is working with the ball non stop. Meaning anytime he is walking around, any time he or she is not doing anything, they need to be getting touches on the ball. Also practice at the club should involve many touches, short sided games and a minimum or 3 nights a week. A game, you are talking about 2 to 3 hours at the most, so for all the other hours during the week that they should be mastering their soccer skills, it is not much time. Heck, your kids play more xbox or are on social media many more hours than that.
                            Spot on. Completely agree and my son is guilty of it for sure. He is a very good player on a very good U11 elite academy team, does the 3 practices a week (1.5 hour each) and maybe 2 to 3 hours a week on his own in the backyard or driveway. Pathetically, he spends at least 8 to 10 hours a week playing video games. Drives me crazy! The coach and I remind him and tease him about it all the time, but one can only do so much. Don't want him to not enjoy the game because its forced on him or have him burnout.

He'll be forced to play 11v11 next year with his academy team as nearly every single elite academy in the area and state will do. The good news is its only 60 minutes a week of 11v11 with the other 5 hours spent on ball skills and small sided games plus what he does on his own. The only other option would be to play on the B team and stay 8v8, but the practice quality is a significant drop. Better to just roll with the 11v11 at U12, but with higher quality players all week, every week for the entire year. I'd prefer to see 8v8 for another year for all the U12's regardless of how good the team is, but just not a way to fight the system. Easier and i'll have more success focusing on my son's soccer efforts away from practice and on his backyard ball skills.

Comment

At some point you have to play 11 v 11 U12 or U13 so just get ready it is what it is. I thought the professional trainers in soccer say by age 13 your kid has learned most everthing they can in skill so its time to move on to tactical training you cannot turn back time I am sure they can learn a few more skill moves they just need to work on it hours on hours !
                              who are the professional trainers you are refering too?

Comment

who are the professional trainers you are refering too?
                                Any coach but yours!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X