Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Our coach always put the worst player at center mid to hide him. We boot the ball from the big center back to the fast forwards and win games. Who cares about center mids?
    Our coach always puts weakest at striker. Best do mid and defense if we r trying to win.

Comment

If you can assess skill sets then certainly you can rank kids against each other. If a kid has higher assessed skills in most categories shouldn't he or she be ranked higher. It will happen one way or the other as the sport grows.

Comment

Are you asking me (I wrote the above post), or the original thread creator?

I never mentioned any particular midfield position. At 12 years old, they may show an inclination to be more possession oriented, or likes to take players on, or is more defensive minded, etc. But they shouldn't be pigeon-holed to one over the other (yet).

And yes, I have an idea. But thanks for asking.
        asking original poster

Comment

Lets try and be sane. No bad mouthing or jealousy allowed. What kids are worthy to be mentioned as the best 03 center mids in the state of Florida.

Mentioning the club will be ok. No need to be calling out names
          What your kid sprouted early or you have your nose up some clubs butt.one of the other or both.

Comment

snip...

Then, you have different systems. You can throw away 75% or more of the clubs out there b/c they do not play a real system that plays through the middle. They play kick and chase where the idea is to get a fast striker into space.
            I must be coaching wrong. All along, I thought it was a good thing to get my fast strikers into space with the ball. Of course, we do sometimes do that by playing the ball through the middle, so I can't be entirely misleading the kids.

Comment

When you see rankings they are ranking them on that day. I don't think that would be as effective in soccer, a sport where the best players in the world are routinely under 5'9. In basketball and football, where size is the predominate indicator of success, the 5'11 12 yr old that is dominating games probably has a better chance than the big kid in soccer that is just out muscling everyone.

Of course what do I know, the couple of scholarship players in basketball that I went to school with didn't even make the middle school teams.

Comment

I am not seeing these dominant 5' 11" twelve year olds you speak of. Yes a ranking of any sport is good as of that day or month. The ones that stay will obviously be the best. This is not basketball where you do not see anything until very late. Sometimes past college for some players in basketball. Soccer is not like that. If you have no skill at 13 you will not become Neymar the next year. Ranking is a tool that could be used to help US soccer stop kids from falling through the cracks. It will not be perfect but better than being totally unaware of the levels of players in our youth system, which is exactly where we are now.

Comment

They rank kids younger than 03 at every NTC

Comment

I am not seeing these dominant 5' 11" twelve year olds you speak of. Yes a ranking of any sport is good as of that day or month. The ones that stay will obviously be the best. This is not basketball where you do not see anything until very late. Sometimes past college for some players in basketball. Soccer is not like that. If you have no skill at 13 you will not become Neymar the next year. Ranking is a tool that could be used to help US soccer stop kids from falling through the cracks. It will not be perfect but better than being totally unaware of the levels of players in our youth system, which is exactly where we are now.
                    Ranking level of player: 2003 A, 2003 B, 2003 C, 2003 D, 2003 F
                    What do ya think?
                    Of course not, because rarely does a player have the whole package at U13. Some are good at heading, some are fast, and some see the whole field and some don't.

Comment

They rank kids younger than 03 at every NTC
                      Explain how the ranking works.

Comment

All of you that are so good at ranking 13 yr olds should have professional scouting jobs. Hell, most at Barcelona didn't want Messi when he was 13. If only TS had been around then they could have consulted you.

Comment

Yes, that is why they paid medical bills and moved him from Argentina to Spain because there was little interest. That was one of the stupidest comments ever.

Nobody is claiming to be the master scout. The issue I was defending was whether there should be a ranking or not. There should be. There has not been a good argument against it yet.

Comment

Yes, that is why they paid medical bills and moved him from Argentina to Spain because there was little interest. That was one of the stupidest comments ever.

Nobody is claiming to be the master scout. The issue I was defending was whether there should be a ranking or not. There should be. There has not been a good argument against it yet.
                            Yes there has. You just won't be convinced. So continue ranking 12 year olds. Not sure what you are getting out of it though.

Comment

Read up on it. Almost all of their scouts rejected him. Only the head guy wanted him and signed him against the advice of most others at the club. Hence why my comment said "most at Barcelona". You know...reading comprehension and all that...

And the point of the comment was that even the best in the world can barely rate 13 year olds. The last thing we need is a got soccer points like system where the kids are ranked throughout the year.

Comment

A ranking no matter how imperfect is better than not having one.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X