Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You guys are so sensitive. No wonder soccer is behind. Too many cowards. Every other sport starts ranking as soon as possible. They may not be as accurate this early in other sports but soccer is one where skill sets won't change much past a certain age. Size may change and speed a bit but if any sport ranked early it should be soccer. ODP starting at 15 is asinine. Let's not fall further behind by listening to the stupid and sensitive.
    I will assume this is a serious question and provide a serious soccer answer. You cannot determine the best center mid at 12. Center mids must combine the ability to win the ball in the air and on the ground with excellent motion off the ball, outstanding technical ability and superior vision. Soccer IQ is also very important.

At 12 you have ball winners that win the ball because they hit puberty early or are just bigger at that age. They will not be as good at 18, my opinion. You have some highly intelligent, highly technical players that will develop into excellent center mids, they just need to grow. So, size blows up the argument.

Then, you have different systems. You can throw away 75% or more of the clubs out there b/c they do not play a real system that plays through the middle. They play kick and chase where the idea is to get a fast striker into space.

Given the uncertainties - size, different systems, etc. - this is a highly subjective discussion and I don't think worth anyone's effort. Ask again in 3 years....

Comment

I will assume this is a serious question and provide a serious soccer answer. You cannot determine the best center mid at 12. Center mids must combine the ability to win the ball in the air and on the ground with excellent motion off the ball, outstanding technical ability and superior vision. Soccer IQ is also very important.

At 12 you have ball winners that win the ball because they hit puberty early or are just bigger at that age. They will not be as good at 18, my opinion. You have some highly intelligent, highly technical players that will develop into excellent center mids, they just need to grow. So, size blows up the argument.

Then, you have different systems. You can throw away 75% or more of the clubs out there b/c they do not play a real system that plays through the middle. They play kick and chase where the idea is to get a fast striker into space.

Given the uncertainties - size, different systems, etc. - this is a highly subjective discussion and I don't think worth anyone's effort. Ask again in 3 years....
      Same can be said about evaluating any position. What an absurd notion.

Clearly the OP wants his kid's name to get mentioned. Hey OP - be careful what you wish for. TS posters have no qualms about trashing kids and their parents. Smart people keep their kids' names off this site.

Comment

Was this thread started by OCYS so they can try to poach yet another kid?

Comment

Same can be said about evaluating any position. What an absurd notion.

Clearly the OP wants his kid's name to get mentioned. Hey OP - be careful what you wish for. TS posters have no qualms about trashing kids and their parents. Smart people keep their kids' names off this site.
          At 12, yes, agree, but even more so centermid, in my opinion, since it is the position that requires the most game intelligence (my opinion)....

Comment

Finally a good soccer question. My 8 year old blows by defenders. Yesterday he pulled off 2 maradonas and 5 goals.

The maradonas were by mistake and 3 of the 5 goals were in his own goal.
            But that's not the point. He was blowing by defenders.....including his own.
            Sooooo funny!

Comment

A stupid question deserved a super answer!

Comment

Just because you can't tell the difference does not mean others can't. Other countries are signing in pro academies earlier. You 90s soccer guys have it wrong. This is not football or basketball where there is still development in skill at 28. 12 sounds like a good age to start ranking.

Comment

You guys are so sensitive. No wonder soccer is behind. Too many cowards. Every other sport starts ranking as soon as possible. They may not be as accurate this early in other sports but soccer is one where skill sets won't change much past a certain age. Size may change and speed a bit but if any sport ranked early it should be soccer. ODP starting at 15 is asinine. Let's not fall further behind by listening to the stupid and sensitive.
                  I'm assuming by your remark on other sports that you are a football/baseball guy?

Soccer would actually be the hardest sport to assess and rank players. big clubs (and I mean European clubs) scout and get players based on what potential they see. Not on a ranking system. Its basically a pool of players. And out of that pool, the best 12-year-old may wind up being the worst 16-year-old.
                  So you can only go on the fundamentals of what you are looking for: size (fair or not), ball skill, aggressiveness, etc.
                  And if you find kids that check 1, 2, or all of the boxes, then you hope to place him among other similar kids. But its always bad to rank that kid.

And the question posed by the OP is even more asinine because it is asking about kids across the entire state.......for teams that never play each other.
                  And a really good player may be on a really bad team.

I just spent three paragraphs to say that the this is a troll question.

Comment

Just because you can't tell the difference does not mean others can't. Other countries are signing in pro academies earlier. You 90s soccer guys have it wrong. This is not football or basketball where there is still development in skill at 28. 12 sounds like a good age to start ranking.
                    ok, I didn't say you could not talk about, just that is would be highly subjective at age 12 and "ranking" is not right. You "rank" point guard prospects at 12. That's ridiculous. Same here. You could say "this kid has great vision and excellent technical skills. He's worth keeping an eye on." or "this kid is a monster - wins every ball - if he's taught how to play smarter he can be special" or "this kid's creativity is special..." etc etc at 12 that's about as far as it can go.... at this age kids may have few skills that are special and some other skills that with work can improve ...because at this age ALL KIDS are a work in progress, ranking is stupid ..

Comment

Every parent thinks their U12 super star has potential. The best answer I ever heard a coach give a U12 talented player (and parent) was "You have lots of potential but let's see how you develop."

Comment

I'm assuming by your remark on other sports that you are a football/baseball guy?

Soccer would actually be the hardest sport to assess and rank players. big clubs (and I mean European clubs) scout and get players based on what potential they see. Not on a ranking system. Its basically a pool of players. And out of that pool, the best 12-year-old may wind up being the worst 16-year-old.
                        So you can only go on the fundamentals of what you are looking for: size (fair or not), ball skill, aggressiveness, etc.
                        And if you find kids that check 1, 2, or all of the boxes, then you hope to place him among other similar kids. But its always bad to rank that kid.

And the question posed by the OP is even more asinine because it is asking about kids across the entire state.......for teams that never play each other.

There are many different styles that work in midfield. When you say centermid do you mean like a traditional number 8? a number 10? Or just a midfielder in general ? Or do you have no idea?

Comment

Every ranking is subjective but can be indicative of a certain level and may still be helpful. Because it is subjective and imperfect in other sports is no reason not to use a ranking system. There will be change year by year and week by week. I can think of no good reason to not rank starting around 12.

Comment

Every ranking is subjective but can be indicative of a certain level and may still be helpful. Because it is subjective and imperfect in other sports is no reason not to use a ranking system. There will be change year by year and week by week. I can think of no good reason to not rank starting around 12.
                            I think either you are wording it incorrectly or we are misunderstanding.

I'm assuming that mean to rank the players against a grading system; NOT ranking them against other players correct? If thats the case, then I think its OK. It is basically what some of us have stated.

You can assess a kids skills, talent, aggressiveness, etc. and then give them a general "ptential" grade. Like another poster stated, you can say: "this kid has great vision and excellent technical skills. He's worth keeping an eye on." or "this kid is a monster - wins every ball - if he's taught how to play smarter he can be special" or "this kid's creativity is special...".

And then grade them with, for example, "high Petential (A)". And if you have 20 players in that same level, no kid should necessarily be considered higher-ranked than any other.

Comment

There are many different styles that work in midfield. When you say centermid do you mean like a traditional number 8? a number 10? Or just a midfielder in general ? Or do you have no idea?
                              Are you asking me (I wrote the above post), or the original thread creator?

I never mentioned any particular midfield position. At 12 years old, they may show an inclination to be more possession oriented, or likes to take players on, or is more defensive minded, etc. But they shouldn't be pigeon-holed to one over the other (yet).

And yes, I have an idea. But thanks for asking.

Comment

Our coach always put the worst player at center mid to hide him. We boot the ball from the big center back to the fast forwards and win games. Who cares about center mids?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X