Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Volume, not necessarily quality. DA and ECNL commits are no surprise but (despite the weaker quality) it is impressive to have that many non DA/ECNL kids committing. Just goes to show that a high quality club/team/coaching can offer kids options beyond the #1 leagues.
    If you are a parent making less than $120,000 a year, any scholarship money is greatly appreciated. Academic fit must be first consideration. If my kid wants to be an architect, I am not going to send him to a liberal arts school. For some families, scholarship money is the only option for college. I know it gets drilled here a lot but the truth is clearly evident. Study hard get 3.5 GPA or higher and good SAT and ACT scores and you will have plenty of options. Even the big D1 schools consider these factors when recruiting soccer.

Comment

If you are a parent making less than $120,000 a year, any scholarship money is greatly appreciated. Academic fit must be first consideration. If my kid wants to be an architect, I am not going to send him to a liberal arts school. For some families, scholarship money is the only option for college. I know it gets drilled here a lot but the truth is clearly evident. Study hard get 3.5 GPA or higher and good SAT and ACT scores and you will have plenty of options. Even the big D1 schools consider these factors when recruiting soccer.
      There are exceptions. I have seen girls with a 3.0 get full rides at top 25 D1's. Grades are the best way to get into a great college but there are certainly exceptions.

Comment

There are exceptions. I have seen girls with a 3.0 get full rides at top 25 D1's. Grades are the best way to get into a great college but there are certainly exceptions.
        Yep. And I've seen commits denied acceptance because their grades didn't meet minimum requirements.

Comment

Just because a kid signs an NLI it doesn't mean they're getting much athletic money, just that they're getting SOME. Parents and clubs get all jazzed by commit lists but no one knows what the financial packages are except the families and the schools.

Comment

Just because a kid signs an NLI it doesn't mean they're getting much athletic money, just that they're getting SOME. Parents and clubs get all jazzed by commit lists but no one knows what the financial packages are except the families and the schools.
            Will you listen to yourself? Seriously dude. Getting any kind of NLI is an honor OK? There are literally thousands of kids left out as of today and they face two options:
            - Intermurals
            - Walk on

So lets be a little more positive OK? Being a scholar-athlete is an honor regardless of the financial package offered.

And one more thing - the kid makes the grade her freshman year can get a full ride years 2-5. It all depends on how she shows on campus.

Comment

Will you listen to yourself? Seriously dude. Getting any kind of NLI is an honor OK? There are literally thousands of kids left out as of today and they face two options:
              - Intermurals
              - Walk on

So lets be a little more positive OK? Being a scholar-athlete is an honor regardless of the financial package offered.

And one more thing - the kid makes the grade her freshman year can get a full ride years 2-5. It all depends on how she shows on campus.
              Not saying that - any kid that can land a spot and play meaningful soccer should be proud. But clubs don't get kids into schools - the players get themselves there through their own hard work on the field and in the classroom. Clubs use it as a marketing tool and give the false impression that they played a critical role in the process, along with an implied message that getting a spot means you're getting decent athletic money. Clubs love showing pics because it's good PR. I've even seen pics in our local paper of kids proudly wearing their D3 shirt "signing" their "NLI" - D3s don't have NLIs! Kids who get spots but have all academic and financial aid don't sign NLIs but they'll be on these club lists.

All I'm saying is treat club propaganda regarding all of this with a healthy dose of reality

Comment

Not saying that - any kid that can land a spot and play meaningful soccer should be proud. But clubs don't get kids into schools - the players get themselves there through their own hard work on the field and in the classroom. Clubs use it as a marketing tool and give the false impression that they played a critical role in the process, along with an implied message that getting a spot means you're getting decent athletic money. Clubs love showing pics because it's good PR. I've even seen pics in our local paper of kids proudly wearing their D3 shirt "signing" their "NLI" - D3s don't have NLIs! Kids who get spots but have all academic and financial aid don't sign NLIs but they'll be on these club lists.

All I'm saying is treat club propaganda regarding all of this with a healthy dose of reality
                True for an NLI you must be on athletic scholarship to a DI or DII school but all the kids who have an opportunity to play at any level should be proud. And big everyone signed Wednesday. Our club counts college commitments whether verbal or NLI so it's really not misleading.

Comment

You are correct in some ways but a decent player with a high GPA is highly recruited no matter where you are from. If you have the grades plus skills someone will throw you money.

Comment

That's only WFFs ECNL team. Their other U 18 team had 7.
                    Can you name their ECNL commitments, I cannot seem to find them from the U18 team.

Comment

These are nice sites, but very incomplete. Unless the colleges put out a list, or a player submits their commitment, it does not get on here. Which is a lot of them.

Comment

- Intermurals
                        - Walk on

I agree. Looking at what my son gave up over the last 8 years to get a D1 partial scholarship to a great school and soccer program is pretty amazing. Just getting to this
                        point was a huge accomplishment. After his great first year, we are now waiting to see if
                        they will give him a full ride for years 2-4.

Comment

Can you name their ECNL commitments, I cannot seem to find them from the U18 team.
                          Here is the current list for the ECNL 2016 commits. You can also get it from the ECNL web page.
                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1931845771

Comment

Updated DA list

http://www.soccerwire.com/news/clubs...e-commitments/

Comment

Here is the current list for the ECNL 2016 commits. You can also get it from the ECNL web page.
                              Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.

Comment

For those that believe that ECNL is the only way, this list shows 12 WFF (ECNL) players committed, but TBU placed over 20 2016's, which goes to show you that ECNL is not the "only" way as some would have you believe.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X