Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helping out an older high level REC team

I'll probably get some flames and snarky comments for this, but bear in mind I'm asking this on the behalf of some kids.

I coach a U15 Rec team which has a mix of U14 and U15 players. These kids and their parents are very committed for this level and we dominate in our bracket. Some of the kids on this team are as good as the local travel team players. I'm basing this on how "my" kids do when they play with or against other travel team players in middle and highschool games. But, because of funds or schedule, the parents of these kids have made the decision not to move to a travel team. Understand that these kids are happy where they are and having fun. We still do one or two tournaments every fall and spring.

I want to help some of my standouts get noticed by college coaches. I'd consider a handful of my players a well-kept secret since they aren't visible in the travel team circuit but they have talent that should be at least reviewed.

What can I do to help them? A showcase? Which one? We are not a "pure" team age-wise.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'll probably get some flames and snarky comments for this, but bear in mind I'm asking this on the behalf of some kids.

I coach a U15 Rec team which has a mix of U14 and U15 players. These kids and their parents are very committed for this level and we dominate in our bracket. Some of the kids on this team are as good as the local travel team players. I'm basing this on how "my" kids do when they play with or against other travel team players in middle and highschool games. But, because of funds or schedule, the parents of these kids have made the decision not to move to a travel team. Understand that these kids are happy where they are and having fun. We still do one or two tournaments every fall and spring.

I want to help some of my standouts get noticed by college coaches. I'd consider a handful of my players a well-kept secret since they aren't visible in the travel team circuit but they have talent that should be at least reviewed.

What can I do to help them? A showcase? Which one? We are not a "pure" team age-wise.

Thanks in advance.
    Have them go to college ID camps.

Comment

Have them go to college ID camps.
      I was thinking the same thing. You don't have the tourney history or tough league competition to get the team into the better showcase tournaments. Even if you got in you'd be in the bottom brackets, ten miles from the fields where coaches go. In addition, you said you have a handful of players so that means not all are probably capable or interested in pursing this. They may not want to do tournaments or cover tourney fees and travel costs.

My suggestion (for what it's worth) is have a conversation with each player and their family about what they want to do. If they're interested then steer them to ID camps or camps run at colleges they are interested in. ID camps would probably give them the most bang for their buck. If they go they need to contact the coaches attending ahead of time, send the coaches their "resumes" and 5 minute highlight video. Anyway, there's lots of info on line on those aspects.

Also - if you know any local (good) HS or even college coaches in the area who would be willing to come and watch a game or practice session to see if this is even a possibility that might be a good place to start. Get a "professional" opinion or two. Hopefully your assessment is accurate. But if it isn't, better to know that up front then set up false hopes and waste time and effort.

Comment

Here's rhe thing. If what all you sat is true. You have a few 13-14 year old kids that have never really played against really good players. They may "hold up" against local club players. But 99% of local club players at u13-14 are not going to be recruited either. If their parents are still not committed at this age, and their kids are going to continue to play red level, those kids will be so far behind, and already are, nearly every serious player at that age. And the level rises exponentionaly every year from that age level.

College scouts aren't looking at the red team entered on the lower brackets of local tournaments. Hell, they aren't scouting many u13 tournaments at all unless it's the upper crust teams. And even then... Your team isn't in that tournament.

The ID clinics are great. But your kids will be in a group of kids at those ID camps that have been serious about soccer, playing at a higher level since u9-u10. They will be so far behind it won't even be funny. What can a college offer those kids at 13 years old? Nothing. They can say, yea, we are interested. And then they are going to say, send us some film next year, and again the year after.

If these kids are so good, playing for their high school team is really the only chance, assuming that their parents don't pay to get them into a competitive team. No college is going to sign on to a rec player and say, "Yea, just keep them on the rec team with a rec coach for the next three years and sign this commitment!"

If the kid isn't begging to play for a better team by this age, he enjoys being the best player on a bad team. If he is begging, and he is better than players on the best teams in the area, take him to their tryouts, tell that coach about the money issues and they will work something out. If the parents time and effort is the issue, good luck to the kid because college soccer is t going to be an option.

At best, 20% of competetive players find a place on even a junior college team. Scholorships aside, I just mean a place on a team. For a kid that played rec until he was 14 years old and expect to land a spot AND be noticed by St Mary's of the Blind College at 13 years old?? Then wait 5 years while the kid plays recreational soccer?? Ain't happening.

If the kids only option is a rec league... Let them be the star and win a lot of games. He will remember those days more than he will remember sitting the bench for two years at junior college anyways.

RUDY was a great movie. But nobody actually knew who Rudy was at Notre Dame and nobody chanted his name. If a kid can't make his high school team in soccer at 14 years old... No college is looking at him unfortunately.

Comment

I'd speak with the parents of these kids first to see if this is what they and their players want to pursue. If it is, are there any other clubs nearby they would be interested in moving on to? This is the exact situation that should occur normally in all clubs... there are a couple or a few that stand out above the rest; the coach sees this and wants to help them move on. I'd try to get them to move on to another club together, if it is available - they would most likely be receptive to a move together than apart. They need additional training etc, beyond what they can receive from you - and that is ok - you are doing the exact job you are suppose to - and I congrat you for recognizing this and looking to help them pursue soccer further.

Comment

Thanks in advance.
            I really commend you for doing what your doing, and especially on this site. I have 2 sons playing soccer, one who enjoys the Rec level and another who breathes the sport and plays in showcases and the highest leagues available. The problem is that you and your parents rarely get to see the top level players play in person. These teams travel extensively and only play like teams for the most part. While you may have some good players, The top level kids are way out of your league. They train 4 nights a week with the best players and coaches and only play the best tournaments. For the most part it would be a disservice putting your kids on the field with any FSPL, R3 etc. team and may just kill their spirit. Let them move on to the bigger clubs to develop them and give them a shot at the big boys if they deserve it, but individually and not as a team

Comment

Let them enjoy what they have. Develop them if you can, encourage them to move up to select/premier if capable, communicate the positives and negatives of select/premier, and let them decide. Seems to me they already have.

Most of the posts are correct in saying that it's hard enough for current select players to find college roster spots. In the end parents of select players will dish out thousands and tens of thousands of dollars for fees, trainers, ID camps, Travel, tournaments, uniforms....and still not find the holy grail.

Comment

I'm the O.P. A follow-up question.

One of my star players is a 14 year old female goalie...September, 2001 birthday. I think she's about 5'-9", but I'm a 6-foot tall guy, and her reach is really close to mine (long arms and legs). She has great reaction time and I've seen her make some amazing saves. To give you an idea, in the last two seasons (Spring and Fall) she had 3 goals scored on her in our bracket (2 in Spring and 1 in Fall). 10 months ago, in a PK shoot out against a "travel team", she stopped one and got a piece of another in 5 attempts and I think she's much improved since then.

Any special advice for her? Should her family follow a different path to get her seen?

Thanks again,

Comment

I'm the O.P. A follow-up question.

One of my star players is a 14 year old female goalie...September, 2001 birthday. I think she's about 5'-9", but I'm a 6-foot tall guy, and her reach is really close to mine (long arms and legs). She has great reaction time and I've seen her make some amazing saves. To give you an idea, in the last two seasons (Spring and Fall) she had 3 goals scored on her in our bracket (2 in Spring and 1 in Fall). 10 months ago, in a PK shoot out against a "travel team", she stopped one and got a piece of another in 5 attempts and I think she's much improved since then.

Any special advice for her? Should her family follow a different path to get her seen?

Thanks again,
                  GK parent here - encourage her to move to a good club that has GK training. Not all clubs have good GK training so at a minimum she should get onto a good team and supplement with private training. Have her parents take her to practice sessions at other clubs during the spring BEFORE the tryout season. They'll get some feedback as to her potential and if clubs are interested. The pace of where you're playing vs high level is night and day, even for the keeper. I'm sure losing her would hurt your team but if she has the goods she needs to move. Being a good coach means sometimes you have to let them fly the coop.

Comment

GK parent here - encourage her to move to a good club that has GK training. Not all clubs have good GK training so at a minimum she should get onto a good team and supplement with private training. Have her parents take her to practice sessions at other clubs during the spring BEFORE the tryout season. They'll get some feedback as to her potential and if clubs are interested. The pace of where you're playing vs high level is night and day, even for the keeper. I'm sure losing her would hurt your team but if she has the goods she needs to move. Being a good coach means sometimes you have to let them fly the coop.
                    Thanks for the info. Our club does have supplemental GK training that is a "perk" of club membership. We only have a couple clubs in our Region D oasis and I'm pretty sure she'd make either travel team. But not sure if it's worth it for the parents due to time constraints and funds. In general, my standout kids on my team would qualify to play on the local Premier/Elite teams already. Essentially, she has access to some of the best GK training in this area already. But yes, if there is something she can get elsewhere that she can't get with my team, then she should move on. I don't want to hold any of these kids back. That being said, my team is so dominant in our "upper Rec" bracket that we are taking on "travel teams" and up to U16 boys teams for the greater challenge...she's often on the receiving end of shots on goal made by highschool boys. Don't know how that compares to shots made by travel team girls, but I think it's good experience due to the speed and power.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Our club does have supplemental GK training that is a "perk" of club membership. We only have a couple clubs in our Region D oasis and I'm pretty sure she'd make either travel team. But not sure if it's worth it for the parents due to time constraints and funds. In general, my standout kids on my team would qualify to play on the local Premier/Elite teams already. Essentially, she has access to some of the best GK training in this area already. But yes, if there is something she can get elsewhere that she can't get with my team, then she should move on. I don't want to hold any of these kids back. That being said, my team is so dominant in our "upper Rec" bracket that we are taking on "travel teams" and up to U16 boys teams for the greater challenge...she's often on the receiving end of shots on goal made by highschool boys. Don't know how that compares to shots made by travel team girls, but I think it's good experience due to the speed and power.
                      Good that she's getting the training and tougher than usual competition. Not many have that. But if she/her family want to take it to another level she needs to do it now. If she thinks she might want to play in college she would never, ever get seen where she is now. And while she is being tested it still isn't the same as a top level premier program.

Comment

Good that she's getting the training and tougher than usual competition. Not many have that. But if she/her family want to take it to another level she needs to do it now. If she thinks she might want to play in college she would never, ever get seen where she is now. And while she is being tested it still isn't the same as a top level premier program.

Good info. How do you define "top level premier program"?

Comment

Good info. How do you define "top level premier program"?
                          I'm not implying my team is one. I'm wondering about the local alternatives.

Comment

Girls have an easier path to college than boys. It's just a fact. If she's a goalkeeper it will be easier for her to get noticed. She should definitely go to some id camps. Is she in 8th grade or HS? You won't get much notice from high school unless you can make state but local coaches might be willing to come have a look. But if there are any competitive teams in your area she should definitely try out.

Comment

Though it may be painful, the best thing you can do for this kids is to push them to leave your team and tryout for higher level teams that are showcasing and otherwise have a good system in place to get their kids seen.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X