Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    He has no club team because all his older teammates ditched club soccer as soon as they had the opportunity to play HS ball? So there was no real chance of playing travel soccer at an older age based on the desires of his teammates. Sounds like someone saved a year of travel soccer expenses while getting the same end result (the opportunity to try out for HS soccer the following 4 years).

I'm not sure how dealing with the realization that your travel career is coming to an end a year earlier is somehow a problem that USSF needs to address. These are not the kids USSF is trying to promote and develop. This falls more into the Rec/Play for fun category of player.
    Are you purposely being daft? The club team will still play in the HS off-season, but during the HS season (in most of the country one Club season conflicts with the HS season) that late year 8th grader will have no club season and no HS season.

As for it being a USSF problem, this is why "In that time, the Federation’s mission statement has been clear and simple: to make soccer, in all its forms, a preeminent sport in the United States and to continue the development of soccer at all recreational and competitive levels.". If they want to restate their mission as only being related to the competitive levels they should change their mission statement and cut a few of their member organizations loose to do their own thing.

Comment

They have no soccer playing options though when their teammates play HS ball. It is the exact same problem only you don't care about it because you presume your kid will play HS ball.
      And that is one of the problems and everyone at clubs should be working on a solution for it. All the kids who do not make school soccer or choose not to play school soccer should have club soccer for them to train hard core.

Comment

First, u15 is the group that are typically 9th graders, so they try out and some make it and some don't. Most clubs continue to do Sunday takings and some tournaments during this period of time.

The fact that you say USSF doesn't care or only care about the very small group that would be on their track is a grave mistake for them. It could bring us back 20 years if they alienate the masses who have helped bring soccer so far over the past 2 decades. That has to be the most narrow way of thinking I hear. They have the DA program for the group they want to develop, they rest enjoy the competitive environment that leads to a College education and keeps them engaged as fans. It is a business and If you or they think otherwise, I'm sorry.
        But you would have your kid ditch their club team for HS ball. You opted out of the US Soccer program but you somehow blame US Soccer for your choice? Show me where in all of the US Soccer literature they discuss the role of HS Soccer? You voluntarily left one organization for another.

Your kids teammates left one organization to play in another organization and you blame US Soccer for that?

Comment

So, to clarify, you are not concerned that all kids who wish to play soccer are provided an option to play soccer. Your only concern is with Aug-Dec kids?

But I thought Mr. Board Member was concerned about ALL 400 kids in his club.
          I'm the board member, not the poster you just responded to.

I do care about all 400 kids in my club. But since I have zero control over who HS takes and doesn't take, it's something completely beyond my control to change. You might as well ask why I'm not outraged over us not driving cars that get 400mpg. It's not something I have any say over.

Basically what you are saying is that since some kids are in a bad situation, why is it any worse to put a bunch more kids into that bad situation. Most people would look at that and say "more" is worse but apparently you don't have that logic path.

Comment

And that is one of the problems and everyone at clubs should be working on a solution for it. All the kids who do not make school soccer or choose not to play school soccer should have club soccer for them to train hard core.
            Nobody gives a crap to work on a solution for this problem because they do not believe it to be a problem. I am the only one that raised the issue as a hypocritical point that the "concern that ALL kids should have a soccer playing option really just falls on deaf ears. Why is that? Because it likely doesn't affect their kids, that is why.

Comment

Nobody gives a crap to work on a solution for this problem because they do not believe it to be a problem. I am the only one that raised the issue as a hypocritical point that the "concern that ALL kids should have a soccer playing option really just falls on deaf ears. Why is that? Because it likely doesn't affect their kids, that is why.
              It's not that we don't care it's that it's an unsolvable problem. And we are now adding more kids to that unsolvable problem bucket through the birth year change. It's not like there is an easy solution that we are simply choosing not to do.

Comment

But you would have your kid ditch their club team for HS ball. You opted out of the US Soccer program but you somehow blame US Soccer for your choice? Show me where in all of the US Soccer literature they discuss the role of HS Soccer? You voluntarily left one organization for another.

Your kids teammates left one organization to play in another organization and you blame US Soccer for that?
                You must of literally just crawled out from under a stone...is your kid just starting out and a January kid and is why you think this is so great? The clubs and leagues have supported playing high school. They offer training during high school and play in tournaments. I'm not sure why high school is even part of th conversation. The negative impact of the birth year change has nothing to do with high school soccer....nothing.

Comment

It's not that we don't care it's that it's an unsolvable problem. And we are now adding more kids to that unsolvable problem bucket through the birth year change. It's not like there is an easy solution that we are simply choosing not to do.
                  Nor do you have a say here either yet this issue, which is the same issue at heart, gets all this outrage, solely because it feces you. I bet if you really cared, I'm talking to you Mr Board member, you would find a solution for the HS displaced kids.

Comment

Not the same problem.

Current issue = Kid has opportunity to try out for HS team. If they are a U14 9th grader they can still play with their teammates on the club team. If they are older, oh well, at least they had the opportunity to make the HS team.

New issue = Kid is too young to try out for HS team and has no club team to fall back on. The older kids, oh well, at least they had the opportunity to make the HS team.
                    You are all assuming that leagues will not have that 8th grade age group (u15) during the HS school season. USSF has added u19 since all age groups are essentially going up by 1 to accommodate the new structure. So its safe to say that u15 age group will continue to play.
                    And then it just becomes an issue of having enough players. And THAT would not be the fault of any mandate, USSF or the club (indirectly). If you don't have enough kids to fill an age group.....oh well. It happens now all the time at smaller clubs.

But again, if you understand the new age group u[x], you'll understand that u15 is basically the new u14 going forward. Just like u19 is the new 'last' age group instead of u18.

Comment

You are all assuming that leagues will not have that 8th grade age group (u15) during the HS school season. USSF has added u19 since all age groups are essentially going up by 1 to accommodate the new structure. So its safe to say that u15 age group will continue to play.
                      And then it just becomes an issue of having enough players. And THAT would not be the fault of any mandate, USSF or the club (indirectly). If you don't have enough kids to fill an age group.....oh well. It happens now all the time at smaller clubs.

But again, if you understand the new age group u[x], you'll understand that u15 is basically the new u14 going forward. Just like u19 is the new 'last' age group instead of u18.
                      Next year/fall season
                      2002 play U15 on matrix
                      2001 play U16 on matrix
                      2000 play U17 on matrix
                      1999 team play U18 on matrix (Seniors Jan. - Aug 1999 and Juniors Sept.-Dec 1999)
                      1998 team plays U19 matrix- No Jan.-Aug. 1998 Seniors because they graduate this May. Only Sept. - Dec. Seniors left for U19. This happens every last year of soccer for only the Sept.-Dec. players.

Comment

The difference is that currently in most of this country U14 is 10% 9th graders and 90% 8th graders so it didn't matter if those 9th graders were unavailable due to HS ball. There were more than enough 8th graders left behind to field a club team without them.

Under the new rules U15 will be more like 60% 9th graders and 40% 8th graders so there isn't enough kids to field a club team if the 9th graders are unavailable. So even if a U15 age group was added for the club season that conflicted with the HS season it doesn't solve the problem.

Comment

Nor do you have a say here either yet this issue, which is the same issue at heart, gets all this outrage, solely because it feces you. I bet if you really cared, I'm talking to you Mr Board member, you would find a solution for the HS displaced kids.
                          I'd "find a solution"??? lol, there is a reason this problem as existed for decades. What makes you think I have some super-duper-magical ability to make the issue go away?

Comment

You must of literally just crawled out from under a stone...is your kid just starting out and a January kid and is why you think this is so great? The clubs and leagues have supported playing high school. They offer training during high school and play in tournaments. I'm not sure why high school is even part of th conversation. The negative impact of the birth year change has nothing to do with high school soccer....nothing.
                            You claim that all the angst over the last 100 pages has not been about "trapped" 8th grade kids? And I'm the one who just crawled out from a rock?

So, please tell then, if HS ball is not the problem with the new age mandate, what is the problem then? Little Johnny August has to leave his pwescious wittle fwiends?

Comment

I'd "find a solution"??? lol, there is a reason this problem as existed for decades. What makes you think I have some super-duper-magical ability to make the issue go away?
                              And there you have it. There is no solution, and your kids are not affected so screw it. And you're right, it isn't a problem for you to solve and neither is the new mandate a problem for to solve either.

If nothing had changed, my kids team would still lose 4 teammates to 9th grade soccer leaving the rest of the 8th grade team behind. To act like this is all "new" is absurd, and since you didn't raise a fuss about it before now proves that you are in fact disingenious in your newly found sudden concern for "all the kids".

RAE was just something that July parents with bad soccer playing kids complained about too, it wasn't Johnny August's fault that he was born as an awesome soccer player and July Jimmy is to small and slow to be any good.

Comment

The difference is that currently in most of this country U14 is 10% 9th graders and 90% 8th graders so it didn't matter if those 9th graders were unavailable due to HS ball. There were more than enough 8th graders left behind to field a club team without them.

Under the new rules U15 will be more like 60% 9th graders and 40% 8th graders so there isn't enough kids to field a club team if the 9th graders are unavailable. So even if a U15 age group was added for the club season that conflicted with the HS season it doesn't solve the problem.
                                When the new RAE cycle kicks in, you will be surprised at how few August-Dec kids will actually be affected simply because they won't make the cut because coaches don't know how to select talent over size.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X